Once again Sean Miller has done it again!!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the same Karpman who years ago at the Pac-10 tournament wrote a large post on the ASU site that Devils had finally closed the gap on the UofA. The cats then went out and beat ASU by 20+ points.

As for Grant leaving, he isn't.

Jeff Goodman‏@GoodmanCBS49s
Arizona freshman Grant Jerrett's high school coach Eric Cooper to CBSSports. "Grant has no intention of going in the draft at this time."

That must have been after he told Hansen he wasn't commenting on it so I think it's the smart decision for Jerrett.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
ASU guy Karpman is saying he hears Jerrett strongly dislikes playing for Miller.

Feel free to read the rest of his twitter feed, Karpman like most other Scout or Rivals people is essentially a paid cheerleader for ASU athletics. He even employs Herb Sendek's (who hates Miller FYI) daughter for heaven's sake.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel free to read the rest of his twitter feed, Karpman like most other Scout or Rivals people is essentially a paid cheerleader for ASU athletics. He even employs Herb Sendek's (who hates Miller FYI) daughter for heaven's sake.

I just saw an exchange with him and Scheer where Scheer didn't really comment on the hates playing for Miller part.

But that's why I disclosed he was an "ASU guy" I didn't know who he was.

Smart decision if he stays, I love the kid but he's not near physically ready for the NBA so weak draft or not coming out would be a mistake.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I Love GJ but this would clear up minutes. And Moser to U of A? Would be pretty sick although it makes no sense other then UA was his first love....

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm sure GJ didn't like that Miller recruited Aaron Gordon but that's the reality of playing for programs like Arizona. If he didn't want any competition he should have gone to ASU or something.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I just saw an exchange with him and Scheer where Scheer didn't really comment on the hates playing for Miller part.

But that's why I disclosed he was an "ASU guy" I didn't know who he was.

Smart decision if he stays, I love the kid but he's not near physically ready for the NBA so weak draft or not coming out would be a mistake.

A good rule of thumb: never take a Sun Devil's word on anything related to UofA athletics.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good rule of thumb: never take a Sun Devil's word on anything related to UofA athletics.

Sure, but if you read the exchange, Scheer isn't disputing the claim at all he clearly thought Jerrett was leaning towards the NBA at the time of that exchange on Twitter.

And Scheer isn't the only UA based guy who was saying that, in fact 2 of them are STILL saying it although based on what Cooper said unless he was playing semantics games(at this time) the kid is staying.

I guess we'll know on the 28th. People keep misreporting that tomorrow is the deadline that's not true, tomorrow is the deadline to pull OUT of the draft, April 28th is the deadline to declare.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the same Karpman who years ago at the Pac-10 tournament wrote a large post on the ASU site that Devils had finally closed the gap on the UofA. The cats then went out and beat ASU by 20+ points.

As for Grant leaving, he isn't.

Jeff Goodman‏@GoodmanCBS49s
Arizona freshman Grant Jerrett's high school coach Eric Cooper to CBSSports. "Grant has no intention of going in the draft at this time."

And then a few hours later it's announced his son has reopened his recruitment.

Makes sense, Cooper was a borderline UA recruit when they took his verbal, after his injuries and such he didn't figure to play much if at all at UA.

Timing is interesting though.

All the officials I'm staying don't mean anything until the 28th. Kyle Anderson is staying too, but his dad has made it perfectly clear if they knew for a fact someone was going to pick him high enough, they'd consider putting his name in and if they did, he can't come back.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Miller looking at Tulane's Josh Davis.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another big (and a senior at that)? Maybe the talk of Jerrett leaving has teeth.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another big (and a senior at that)? Maybe the talk of Jerrett leaving has teeth.

Pasternack used to coach at New Orleans so he might have a connection to Tulane. Davis is not from NO though he's from North Carolina. He's apparently quite a hot commodity everyone is trying to get him.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Every member of the media for the past 25 years has written that article. That's hardly an indictment. It's a rite of passage, really.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Grant is gone. This kid had a future and guys like Eric Cooper don't care. It's hard for a 19-year old to think rationally when he has people talking in his ears. He isn't the first and won't be the last to make a decision like this.

I really hope Ashley and Tarc stay in Tucson and really work at their game. Those two will now see a lot of minutes. It will be very interesting if Miller gets a transfer.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 29m
Grant Jerrett could have been a lottery pick if he had been patient. Instead, he'll likely spend next season in the D-League. Poor advice.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This is why you recruit your balls off. Never know when some kid is going to make a bad professional or personal decision.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is why you recruit your balls off. Never know when some kid is going to make a bad professional or personal decision.

Will be interesting to see who Miller can get to commit to the UofA for the 2014-15 year to replace Grant. I have faith he will be able to get someone.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's making more sense now. I feel bad for Grant.

Jason Scheer ‏@JasonScheer
Grant Jerrett is likely to sign with Brian Dyke. Dyke is the husband of Cynthia Cooper. Cynthia is the sister of Eric Cooper Sr.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doug Gottlieb ‏@GottliebShow
@DraftExpress @JasonScheer Advising Jerrett to turn pro should cost an agent their license to work in basketball

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Doug Gottlieb ‏@GottliebShow
@DraftExpress @JasonScheer Advising Jerrett to turn pro should cost an agent their license to work in basketball

I agree completely. Idk who those people are in the post above this one. Shady folks I take it?

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Oh I see. Grant bails on the program for the NBA early and Cooper Jr. decommits at the same time. Guess they didn't like the program that much.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree completely. Idk who those people are in the post above this one. Shady folks I take it?

Brian Dyke is an NBA agent married to Cheryl Cooper the USC womens coach. Cheryl's brother is ERic Cooper Sr, Grant Jerrett's HS coach. Eric Cooper Jr, his son, was part of a package deal Miller cut to get Jerrett, you take my son, I'll steer Jerrett to UA. Cooper Jr had been a highly regarded PG when younger but he outgrew the position and was sliding rapidly in scouting rankings when UA took him so most outsiders felt it was a package deal when he committed with jerrett.

So now Jerrett's not happy with Miller, got recruited over, had to play some 5 which he was apparently promised he wouldn't. Then they apparently plan to RS Chol which means Jerrett is the backup 5 again. persistent talk that Cooper Jr would never actually play for UA and it appears to an outsider that Eric Sr decided to try and use Grant Jerrett, again, to leverage a scholarship for his son.

So he leaks out Jerrett's going pro, presumably trying to get a guarantee for his son and some promise Jerrett won't have to play the 5, Miller doesn't do that, so Cooper Sr pushes Jerrett to go pro using his brother in law Dyke, the NBA agent.

Makes all the adults look bad here. Cooper Sr comes off looking REALLY bad using Jerrett twice to help his son get a ride to UA. Miller looks bad because anybody that questioned if him taking Eric Jr was a package deal got their answer out of all this. Dyke the agent looks bad as Gottlieb said advising Jerrett to go pro is terrible advice.

The mom has already posted on FB that he's informed eveyrone he's gone and she wants her friends to pray for the decision to work. Goodman reports he's gone. The dad is saying it's not official which I assume means they haven't filed the paperwork with the NBA.

Crazy story.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Jerrett went to UA because he didn't like Ben Howland, not due to some package deal. I'm sure it helped but at the en dof the day when Cooper Jr. committed to Arizona he was a top 75 prospect not like we're talking Lil Romeo here. But I'm sure that doesn't fit the 'Miller is a bad coach' narrative that you and a few other desperate Bruin fans are clinging onto so go ahead and keep believing what you want.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerrett went to UA because he didn't like Ben Howland, not due to some package deal. I'm sure it helped but at the en dof the day when Cooper Jr. committed to Arizona he was a top 75 prospect not like we're talking Lil Romeo here. But I'm sure that doesn't fit the 'Miller is a bad coach' narrative that you and a few other desperate Bruin fans are clinging onto so go ahead and keep believing what you want.

I agree Ben played a big role in Jerrett going to UA. Most UCLA fans thought we were getting Jerrett and UA was getting Ashley, until Jerrett surprised and committed first.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5859611

Jerrett committed in November of his junior season, he was highly rated nationally. Cooper was a year behind and as the ESPN story noted was battling injuries, wasn't even expected to play that season, and had already fallen out of the top 100. In fact if you look on Scout you won't even easily find an announcement when he verballed to UA it's all buried in stories about Jerrett verballing.

Cooper was once VERY highly touted but by the time he verballed to UA he had grown, wasn't seen as quick enough to stay at the PG, and his stock had dropped. When that commitment was announced fans of basically every team but UA said "package deal". The kids dad played at UA and leveraged that connection plus Jerrett to get an offer for his son.

Miller is certainly not the first guy to do that and won't be the last. Hell as I have said before UCLA hired McCray to get Parker and Adams, they just retained McCray(administrative position) to keep Parker, it happens regularly nowadays.

But this was a package deal and it's now backfiring because the same guy who had enough influence to push Jerrett to UA knowing they were likely getting Ashley, and that UCLA badly wanted jerrett, also apparently has enough influence to push him to the NBA when he's not happy.

But if it makes you feel better to pretend it was a coincidence that they committed on the same day to the same school from the same school more power to you.

I used to argue UCLA hired McCray because he was a good coach, I no longer believe that. I no longer give coaches the benefit of the doubt on things like this and you can't actually believe it's a coincidence they committed on the same day and that Jerrett announces he's gone the day after Cooper decommits?

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
One part of your narrative I don't understand. Why would Cooper decommit? If he's not that good anymore you'd think he'd want to hang on to that scholarship unless he was going to ride the bench permanently after he arrived and he wants to play even if it's at a smaller school?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One part of your narrative I don't understand. Why would Cooper decommit? If he's not that good anymore you'd think he'd want to hang on to that scholarship unless he was going to ride the bench permanently after he arrived and he wants to play even if it's at a smaller school?

Because he doesn't have a scholarship. Verbal commits are worthless, they're not binding at all. Any leverage Cooper Sr had was in part based on Jerrett, the second he goes pro, they have no leverage anymore to get a scholarship. My guess is the we're opening it up was a last ditch effort to get some "promise" from Miller for Jerrett.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh I see. Grant bails on the program for the NBA early and Cooper Jr. decommits at the same time. Guess they didn't like the program that much.

The big twist in all this is that Eric Cooper Sr played for Lute at UA so I'm sure he was pushing his son to attend UA but his son is just not as talented as most of the players Sean Miller is landing / recruiting.

Really bad scene playing out the way it did with GJ being the one who will suffer the consequences. I hope some team takes a chance on him in the second round unless he really impresses at the draft camps.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave