On Kyler

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Well for one hes shorter then them even if only an inch or 2 inches it makes a dofferemce. He also doesn’t move around in the pocket and slide around to create throwing lanes. He panics spins and runs. It’s been shown repeatedly he’s not seeing open guys. It’s really not even arguable. The guys you talk about step up in the pocket they move within the pocket and don’t panic. They find and take the open guy. Kyler does not. He has also lead the league in batted balls 2 out of 3 years. The difference in the end is he just isn’t as good. Physical limitation could be a part of that.

+1 Kyler needs a coach that can teach him and coach him up. It's obvious he's not developing under Kliff. The kid has talent but I think got used to being so much better then everyone else on the field in HS and college that he never had to work on his skills to succeed and coasted. Can't do that in the NFL. Get him watching game film and learning to read the defense better and we might not have nights like the last 5 weeks.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AJ Green really needs to retire. Couldn’t get his feet down on the pass along the sidelines on our 1st offensive series. A catch there changes the complexion of the game. Then his drop on the 30 brought the ball back to the 3 & the Rams scored on the pick 6. It was still a game until then. D was a huge problem too. Even when we managed to get them to punt, they put the ball inside the 5. Rams had great field position the whole 1st half & we had the ball inside our 10 the whole 1st half.

We also got ran on ALL night & Wilson couldn’t cover OBJ at all. Their TE’s were open with Hicks & Vallejo running 5 yards behind. VJ NEEDS TO BE FIRED for not having our 1st round LB‘s on the field & ready to play. Vallejo!! Really? Yes, Murray did not play well. That much is obvious. He needs WR help in addition to Hop. Without Hop, it’s downright abuse having to throw to Green & Kirk. Our OL IS PATHETIC, and needs to be dismantled. Play calling by KK was bad, but always limited when you spend 80% of the 1st half inside your own 5. Someone should be fired & I think it has to start with VJ. KK will probably keep his job by the skin of his teeth, but he’ll be on a very short leash next year.
Voice of reason…

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
+1 Kyler needs a coach that can teach him and coach him up. It's obvious he's not developing under Kliff. The kid has talent but I think got used to being so much better then everyone else on the field in HS and college that he never had to work on his skills to succeed and coasted. Can't do that in the NFL. Get him watching game film and learning to read the defense better and we might not have nights like the last 5 weeks.
They beat Dallas and he looked fine. This was just a huge game and the coaching staff failed the players and fans big time! No game plan or an atrocious one take your pick! The defense being played was a joke and the offensive game plan was idiotic! Then after the game is out of reach KK actually starts running the offense the way we should have all game what an absolute moron! Doesn’t run the ball with Conner until we are down 3tds? Really? I mean just stuff that would get anyone fired but we all know they probably won’t do crap and try to sell us on what an impressive season we had…SOC

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
AJ Green really needs to retire. Couldn’t get his feet down on the pass along the sidelines on our 1st offensive series. A catch there changes the complexion of the game. Then his drop on the 30 brought the ball back to the 3 & the Rams scored on the pick 6. It was still a game until then. D was a huge problem too. Even when we managed to get them to punt, they put the ball inside the 5. Rams had great field position the whole 1st half & we had the ball inside our 10 the whole 1st half.

We also got ran on ALL night & Wilson couldn’t cover OBJ at all. Their TE’s were open with Hicks & Vallejo running 5 yards behind. VJ NEEDS TO BE FIRED for not having our 1st round LB‘s on the field & ready to play. Vallejo!! Really? Yes, Murray did not play well. That much is obvious. He needs WR help in addition to Hop. Without Hop, it’s downright abuse having to throw to Green & Kirk. Our OL IS PATHETIC, and needs to be dismantled. Play calling by KK was bad, but always limited when you spend 80% of the 1st half inside your own 5. Someone should be fired & I think it has to start with VJ. KK will probably keep his job by the skin of his teeth, but he’ll be on a very short leash next year.

The ball AJ didn’t get his feet down was a poor throw. Maybe D-Hop and prime Fitz make that play.

The drop/review play is on him. He bobbled the ball slightly before getting hit out of expecting contact. Yes I’m criticizing a guy for a soft play from my an iPhone while sitting on my couch but it’s a fact.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another John Wooden, be at your best when your best is needed. Total failure tonight by Kyler, gotta get better. I still think he can but he didn't show it tonight at all and he's got to spend the offseason working on his weaknesses. Learn to climb teh pocket, improve at reading defenses. Get better under center so we can play under center.
That sounds great and all but video games aren’t going to play themselves…

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
0 for 9 on 3rd down, 7.6 QBR and @ 1pt less passing yards than OBJ until 6:46 in 3rd quarter. Thats before throwing the shortest pick 6 in playoff history along with throwing out of bounds on 4th & 9 in garbage time with nothing to lose.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is plenty that needs to be changed.
1. Kliff has loss this fan base. He has utterly wilted at the end of the last 2 seasons. He is never satisfied with a 5 yard gain. Again on our first 3rd down we throw a 25 yard pass. I knew we would be punched in the face early. Just getting a couple of first downs on our first two drives keeps the field balanced. He’s too “smart” for the Nfl game. His offense is too complex. I can’t see a feasible reason to let him return next year.
2. This Wr Corp needs a complete overhaul. Kirk and Green are lower 1/3 in the league. Ertz needs to stay but we need to add another because Daniels stinks.
2. Keep our rb Corp intact.
3. Simmons is NOT an inside middle linebacker. I would have him coming off the edge or move him to safety.
4. Tell me why Kiem should stay. We’re all in. Best roster we’ve had in 5 years. Right, uh huh. Leadership is what we brought in. Right , uh huh. Where’s our last two first round picks?

There’s so much more.

AZCats

Veteran
Reaction score
Hate to break it to you guys but he aint getting much better than this. This is exactly why I was so opposed the cards drafting him. The QB that we saw tonight is the Cards QB of the future, sadly.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
HAHAHA Wow, that is not saying much. That's like getting 1st place in the special olympics.
Classy, go troll somewhere else douchebag! Gotta love the clowns that show up after bad games to talk **** like they know better than professionals…

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No doubt that Kyler is the best QB the Cards have had not named Warner or Palmer. My worry is that he lacks what it takes to be great. He seems to shrink in the face of adversity and doesn’t display the fire to rally the team when things aren’t going well.

I doubt it would happen, but if there is not a major step forward taken in the leadership category, could the club entertain a trade and bring in a haul of 1st round picks?
Actually, Jake the Snake was MUCH more clutch and better in the end than KM has been so far.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We may need to come to the realization that just maybe the height is an actual problem…. Just like numerous times all season long the broadcasters tonight literally showed an underneath route that he should be taking and would likely get a first down. Yet he just doesn’t see it and throws elsewhere. Into coverage or trying for the big play low % It’s been a consistent problem all year long. Even when he was playing very well and hitting the small % throws. But long haul it’s become a big problem.
I accepted it earlier in the season that his height is always gonna be a problem. I'm sure he doesn't see the underneath stuff come open. Rollouts/bootlegs after playing under center would fix some of that but KK doesn't have the balls to make him play that way. Probably doesn't know how to coach that way lol.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
Kyler said in presser after the game that his goal is to win Super Bowl, not playoff games (paraphrasing a bit here). Someone needs to remind him that you’ve got to win the playoffs to get to Super Bowl. It’s similar to him insisting watching film is a waste of his time. I’ll bet that on film, he’d see that if he steps up into the pocket, instead of trying to spin away from two defenders, he’d be in a better position to make the play. I liken him to Alan Iverson, a terrific basketball player but one who could have been great if he put in the work in practice.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Another John Wooden, be at your best when your best is needed. Total failure tonight by Kyler, gotta get better. I still think he can but he didn't show it tonight at all and he's got to spend the offseason working on his weaknesses. Learn to climb teh pocket, improve at reading defenses. Get better under center so we can play under center.
I'm sure that's his plan to to so on Madden. Oh wait, you mean actually watch game film, sit down with coaches, maybe some chalkboard work. You can't be serious and don't call me Shirley.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

On this, that will happen after the 2022 season as the entire Oline will be UFAs after 2022.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Kyler needs is to spend a month couch surfing with Kurt Warner and just soak up all the pre snap reads and stuff that kurt can teach him.
100% this

Learning to read a defense is very difficult and if/when he does it will go a long way in his career

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We may need to come to the realization that just maybe the height is an actual problem…. Just like numerous times all season long the broadcasters tonight literally showed an underneath route that he should be taking and would likely get a first down. Yet he just doesn’t see it and throws elsewhere. Into coverage or trying for the big play low % It’s been a consistent problem all year long. Even when he was playing very well and hitting the small % throws. But long haul it’s become a big problem.
Kyler’s lack of height is 100% a problem. However, I saw Doug Flutie, who was shorter than Kyler, play with 100x more heart than Kyler.
Kyler’s key issues aren’t just his lack of height. His fatal flaws are:
- He’s lazy and would rather rely on his physical skills to get by. He doesn’t put in the work needed to become a legit NFL QB. He can’t make pre-snap reads and therefore, the ball goes to the wrong place at the wrong time WAY too often.
- He plays scared! No NFL QB will ever be successful playing scared. Kyler literally took two sacks last night that high school QB’s would’ve gotten out of! One of which he wasn’t even touched! He refuses to give the extra effort and take a hit.

In short, this team is bigtime screwed and Kyler will never be a reliable QB at the NFL level.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Kliff and I expect he’ll land on his feet, but franchise QB prospects are more rare and valuable than offensive head coach wunderkinds. Kliff likely saved his job for another season and earned himself a nice paid vacation the season after if he wants it.

But people are absolutely fooling themselves thinking that Kliff doesn’t know how to get guys open or rudimentary scheme design. Guys are open—even if the camera isn’t catching them. If Kyler is threading the needle between four (!) rams defenders, SOMEONE(s) is in single coverage or wide open.

Kyler just isn’t a rhythm passer. He likes to wait for guys to get open and that doesn’t happen in the NFL no matter how cognitively gifted you think you are.
I don't disagree my point is Kliff's building his offense around Kyler and the main part of his job is developing Kyler. Maybe Kyler is uncoachable I don't know but it seems like he's hit a bit of a plateau in development so something has to change. Easier to get a new Kliff than a new Kyler

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I like Kliff and I expect he’ll land on his feet, but franchise QB prospects are more rare and valuable than offensive head coach wunderkinds. Kliff likely saved his job for another season and earned himself a nice paid vacation the season after if he wants it.

But people are absolutely fooling themselves thinking that Kliff doesn’t know how to get guys open or rudimentary scheme design. Guys are open—even if the camera isn’t catching them. If Kyler is threading the needle between four (!) rams defenders, SOMEONE(s) is in single coverage or wide open.

Kyler just isn’t a rhythm passer. He likes to wait for guys to get open and that doesn’t happen in the NFL no matter how cognitively gifted you think you are.
I don’t like Kliff. I think he sucks. The only thing he’s got going in his favor is his youth (which should keep him in the game for many years to come).
He might be able to get guys open on occasion… but if that’s your basis for being a great head coach, your bar for success will never reach above the knee-caps of an ant!

Kliff needs to go become a offensive coordinator at a competitive D-1 school for a few years. Maybe he can then come back to the NFL as a coordinator. But not as a head coach… nope.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Kliff will end up as a college OC where his lateral passing game belongs and can work with right athletes and slow defenses.

Kyler's not built for this offense. The bulk of the offense should be a heavy run game and then go vertical off play-action (Kyler has one of the best deep balls in the league). The offenses we should be emulating are Baltimore, Seattle, SF, etc. not Josh McDaniel/NE or Rodgers.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff will end up as a college OC where his lateral passing game belongs and can work with right athletes and slow defenses.

Kyler's not built for this offense. The bulk of the offense should be a heavy run game and then go vertical off play-action (Kyler has one of the best deep balls in the league). The offenses we should be emulating are Baltimore, Seattle, SF, etc. not Josh McDaniel/NE or Rodgers.

Isn't the current NE offense very run heavy and play action pass heavy?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I agree. I love that style of offense. But if Kyler's resistant to playing under center and doesn't like turning his back on the game (Kurt Warner hated doing this, also), I dunno what you can do about that.

I just don't understand what the benefit is of paying Kyler Murray $140 million if you're going to put him in the same offense as Ryan Tannehill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA