Olympic Skateboarding

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too cool when the first person to medal is the son of a childhood friend.

Jagger Eaton FaceTimed His Dad Right After Winning First-Ever Skateboarding Medal: 'I Was So Hyped'​

On Christmas Day 16 years ago, a 4-year-old Jagger Eaton got a gift from his father that, he says, "changed my life forever."

The skateboard — a Blind Blue Monster deck – sat under the tree; there was a board each for him and his brother Jett. Out in the garage, their dad had built a mini-ramp.

"I was amazed by how much fun and freedom it gave me: Just immediately, I was able to make all my own decisions as a kid and it made me so happy," Eaton told reporters on Sunday, all these years later, a newly crowned Olympic bronze medalist in men's street as skateboarding made its debut at the Tokyo Summer Games.

Ten minutes after his win, he was seen FaceTiming his father.

"I just started yelling. I don't know, really — I don't know if I made out words, I just started yelling and I was so hyped and I'm so hyped because my whole family worked so hard for this, too," Eaton told reporters.

"It was such a team effort," he continued, giving shout-outs to his reps and his coaches. "Like if anybody thinks that they did this by themselves, I mean, they didn't. This is such a team effort to get to this level of sport and be able to be on a podium."

More at the link: https://www.yahoo.com/now/jagger-eaton-facetimed-dad-winning-093850766.html

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome.

I was following him since he's local and said The Wedge Skate Park right by my house was his favorite :)

Was Dad a Coronado kid?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome.

I was following him since he's local and said The Wedge Skate Park right by my house was his favorite :)

Was Dad a Coronado kid?
Yes. Also his dad Stormy went to Scottsdale High School and founded and ran Desert Devils Gymnastics until he died in a helicopter crash in the 90's.

Geoff expanded the gymnastics to include skateboarding, parkour, ninja warrior training, etc., and called it KTR: Kids That Rip.

Here's an older article talking about the family a bit:

Mesa skateboarder Eaton’s fame came at a young age​

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this story/thread! I can't believe how mainstream skateboarding has become.