Old vs New NFL

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by football karma, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

Ayton vs. Doncic. The NFL is changing and we are on the forefront of that evolution.

I'm glad that Keim & co. made the right choice.

2. BW52

BW52 Registered

Skeptical about the whole deal.KM/KKs offense...…...

Delmar M Lewis likes this.
  3. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

Ironically enough, neither does our offense.

4. BW52

BW52 Registered

And people have been trying to re-invent the wheel for how long?
    Looking for a better mousetrap for how long?
    Its really a simple game...you block the guy,you tackle the guy,you move the ball down the field,you stop the other from moving the ball down the field.
    there isn`t a offense around that hasn`t been seen or tried at some point in the NFl.Anything can be schemed against.No offense is foolproof.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  5. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Uh,huhuhuhuhuh

Just getting worse, trust me on that.

6. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

So Michael made a coach hiring based on racial public relations... what a load of nonsense unless he kept him after his craptastic coaching

7. DeAnna

DeAnna Just A Face in The Crowd

Yeah, that was baffling NJCardFan. The Cardinals were the first team to hire a black female in the front office; they've had other black head coaches, a black GM, etc.

That was strictly a reactional, old school hire - play defense and run the ball. Complete opposite of BA and now they've come full circle. Time will only tell if this trend becomes commonplace. I watched a youtube clip about the "air raid offense' which basically said these concepts have been used in the NFL for over 20 yrs, so nothing new. The so called "mesh" play is basically just a shallow crossing route.

Cardiac and jf-08 like this.
  8. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

I have always championed ethnic diversity and no one rooted harder for Dennis Green and Coach Wilks than me. But I don't think Wilks was a PC option (we've hired white and minority coaches interchangeably throughout the years and our attitude to our HC's has been pretty much color-blind).

The release of Wilks was an example of an equal opportunity firing -made necessary because the team flat out didn't respond (i.e. Steve W would floor the gas pedal and the engine simply wouldn't rev).

Rather than point fingers at things like poor budget management or lousy personnel policy, I feel the responsibility lies squarely on the shoulders of Coach Wilks (because it's the HC's job to motivate the players and steer the right strategic course). More than any Cardinal team I can ever remember, the Cardinal players were "flatter" than flat and the team's offensive and defensive strategies clueless toward delivering necessary answers. Usually when things aren't working, you can zero in on a handful of changes needing to be made, but the Cardinals under Wilks weren't responsive.

9. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

in fairness, the "go fast and break things" approach works great for places like Netflix, where the down side is you dont get your free streaming for an hour

not so much on aircraft flight controls, medical systems, etc

business has the benefit of faster change cycles ( it generally doesnt have to wait for the offseason) --

but to answer a question: i think this experiment has to show promise in the next two cycles -- two seasons -- or yes, you do start over - this time with a new architect

daves likes this.
  10. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Staff Member

You are correct, but CKK has shown to take advantage of his offense players strengths and create mismatches with those strengths - whether it be a TE who can't be covered, a good RB, a physically gifted QB, etc,....

So hopefully with the tools that he has now, his scheme will be to create mismatches with the personnel, not fit the personnel into his system. Thank freaking gawd.

daves likes this.
  11. BW52

BW52 Registered

Someone will figure out a way to neutralize the AiR Raid .It might take a few weeks but someone will figure it out.The big question is can KK and his offense adapt to defense adapting to them? Its going to be react to the counter-reaction..and so forth.Cat and mouse trying to stay one step ahead.

12. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Staff Member

You can say this about any offense though. That's why talent+scheme creates mismatches against the defense, no matter what type of offense is run.

So the questions are (as you alluded to):

Do we have the necessary talent to out perform the defenses?

Do we have the proper schemes to fully utilize the players that we have to create mismatches?

If the answer is none, or even one, then it can be a miserable season. Hopefully both answers are "YES" and we can enjoy the results.

CardsSunsDbacks and daves like this.
  13. dscher

dscher Registered

I don't know. Lincoln Riley runs a different version with a lot of crossing patterns that rely heavily on the wide outs to make decisions and KM to read that best option. There could be so many variations that KK could run. I think he will specifically have a version he wants to implement but then can adjust so many things midseason if teams start to figure his quirks out..it happens to every offense in the game. Even the Patriots have to do this.. it's not just an air raid gimmick thing. If coaches can't adjust then they are toast. That was Chip Kelly's biggest issue... He was a one trick pony. I think there can be many implementations on the air raid so hopefully KK gets some pointers from Riley,Holgerson, Leach along the way..:)

14. BW52

BW52 Registered

It should be interesting to see what happens.I read a book written by John Brodie back in early 1970`s.I don`t know how many older guys remember him.He was QB for the 49ers from 57-73.Was a Al Pro and Pro Bowl QB during his career.He tells the story of being the QB when SF surprised the NFL by running the shotgun (this was 1961-62 I tthink) and SF kicked ass for 3-4 weeks scoring pretty well.Then they played the Bears and One of Halas`s assistants realized the shotgun was similar to something used years before and schemed the defense to stop it.Bears shut the Niners out and the rest of the NFL copied that and SF had to go back to a more conventional offense.I think the Falcons and the Oilers ran their versions of the Air Raid offense 20-30 years agos...lots of WRs and hardly using a TE..So its not a new concept.

moklerman likes this.
  15. BW52

BW52 Registered

It might catch people by surprise for a while but in this era of video and everything instantly available to view defensive coaches have more info to try and stymie the offense.:jedi: