Okay, let's sever the bovine excrement

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
TIme for an integrity test.
Lets take one step to the left in the infinite multiverse.
In this thread, you aint just a fan. You actually inhereted an NFL football team. Its all yours.

So honestly, which of you in that situation is going to hire a consultant to help you find the best football exec on the planet?
Sounds like a great idea right? A smart move no doubt.
Once you get this guy.....who is actually going to just walk away? Trust this guy to run your 3.5B dollar franchise while you grab a couple playboy bunnies and enjoy being pampered on a tropical island somewhere? ... or just go play golf. Or sit home and watch oprah.....

None of you thats who.

We are all passionate football fans. I just cant see it as a possibility that any of us would be hands off if we had control of a team.
What happens when your new guru wants to use the 3rd overall pick on a guard,..a runningback,...an inside linebacker?

Nearly every thread has someone stating Mike needs to hire a guy, then trust that guy, and dont meddle.
But Mike grew up surrounded by football. Do you really think he doesnt geek out on drafts and free agents just like everyone here?

What kind of alien DNA do you possess that would allow you to love a team, the sport, the history, the details of every play...but just stand back and watch someone else run the team you own?

I'd be all up in that ****.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
TIme for an integrity test.
Lets take one step to the left in the infinite multiverse.
In this thread, you aint just a fan. You actually inhereted an NFL football team. Its all yours.

So honestly, which of you in that situation is going to hire a consultant to help you find the best football exec on the planet?
Sounds like a great idea right? A smart move no doubt.
Once you get this guy.....who is actually going to just walk away? Trust this guy to run your 3.5B dollar franchise while you grab a couple playboy bunnies and enjoy being pampered on a tropical island somewhere? ... or just go play golf. Or sit home and watch oprah.....

None of you thats who.

We are all passionate football fans. I just cant see it as a possibility that any of us would be hands off if we had control of a team.
What happens when your new guru wants to use the 3rd overall pick on a guard,..a runningback,...an inside linebacker?

Nearly every thread has someone stating Mike needs to hire a guy, then trust that guy, and dont meddle.
But Mike grew up surrounded by football. Do you really think he doesnt geek out on drafts and free agents just like everyone here?

What kind of alien DNA do you possess that would allow you to love a team, the sport, the history, the details of every play...but just stand back and watch someone else run the team you own?

I'd be all up in that ****.

My grandfather created a multi-billion dollar mining, transportation, and insurance company from scratch. He was on the job every day by 7 am, home for supper, and invariably worked in his study after that. He was involved in virtually every decision for more than 50 years. He only slowed down a touch after age 80. I don't think there was a day in his life when he dreamed of holidays, etc. Work was his life, and he loved it. Died at 96, after a stroke a few years earlier and had been in the office up to that point. I should add that the so-called trust babies, my cousins, that run daily operations have much the same approach.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Is being self aware so alien? If I repeatedly failed at running the team I'd certainly hope my head wasn't so far up my ass as to not get someone more capable to run things.

I also would have had 0 tolerance for the team's top official being arrested for DUI, and I sure as hell wouldn't have given them an extension.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
There is no way I would not be involved in everything. One thing I’ve learned in business though is you have to delegate. You surround yourself with the best and most trustworthy people you can find in each area of your business.

MB has been involved in football his whole life and anyone that has ever talked with him knows he is very intelligent. MB wants to win we all know that. Compared to his father he has done a much better job. I can honestly say he can turn things around in a hurry because he did it with BA.

I will say not getting Sean Payton was very frustrating but regardless of who the new coach is MB and his new crew can bring in some free agents and draft picks that make a difference to right the ship.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is being self aware so alien? If I repeatedly failed at running the team I'd certainly hope my head wasn't so far up my ass as to not get someone more capable to run things.

I also would have had 0 tolerance for the team's top official being arrested for DUI, and I sure as hell wouldn't have given them an extension.

What do you consider "repeatedly failed"?

He has 6 winning seasons, 6 losing seasons and 4 draws.

He's 16th in wins since he took over. Only 4 behind the Niners and well ahead of the Rams.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I managed an electrical design group at one point in my career at a major company in our corporate engineering department. Up to that point our reputation with the engineering group was not exactly what you would call the best. The company was growing fast and making acquisitions on a regular basis thus requiring expansion of engineering to accommodate the growth. In my time managing the group, I was required to hire a fair number of people.

I tried to hire the best people I could find. In two years our reputation with the engineers got better and better. I guess my point is you surround yourself with the best people you can find and then let them do their job which I what I did then and it worked wonders.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I managed an electrical design group at one point in my career at a major company in our corporate engineering department. Up to that point our reputation with the engineering group was not exactly what you would call the best. The company was growing fast and making acquisitions on a regular basis thus requiring expansion of engineering to accommodate the growth. In my time managing the group, I was required to hire a fair number of people.

I tried to hire the best people I could find. In two years our reputation with the engineers got better and better. I guess my point is you surround yourself with the best people you can find and then let them do their job which I what I did then and it worked wonders.
  • You must be registered for see images attach
I have this hanging in my office

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wait. The meddling guy is doing so because he has no interest when he could go do something else all day?
I don’t think he geeks out on the draft and free agency like we do, which was the original assertion. This is fun for us because it’s a distraction from work.

Scouting prospects from Wake Forest and breaking down the third guard for the Panthers is boring work.

Meddling to me is getting involved in the high-profile decisions without having the context from the little decisions that get you there. I’m sure he loves feeling in the loop on first-round picks. I’m equally sure he would not care about the 15 guys were considering for a fourth-round pick.

Unfortunately, it’s the work you do evaluating the fourth rounder that hones your expertise to make a better first-round pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think he geeks out on the draft and free agency like we do, which was the original assertion. This is fun for us because it’s a distraction from work.

Scouting prospects from Wake Forest and breaking down the third guard for the Panthers is boring work.

Meddling to me is getting involved in the high-profile decisions without having the context from the little decisions that get you there. I’m sure he loves feeling in the loop on first-round picks. I’m equally sure he would not care about the 15 guys were considering for a fourth-round pick.

Unfortunately, it’s the work you do evaluating the fourth rounder that hones your expertise to make a better first-round pick.

I'm not sure he meant Mike was scouting Guards from Middle Tennessee. I think he just meant he is generally excited by both and engaged in the overall process.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of being a good executive is understanding you don't know everything, you're not always the smartest guy in the room, and that knowing what you don't know and listening to others is important. I also think Bidwill fell into the trap of hiring and keeping people around him he trusted as friends. That sounds great until things start to go wrong because now you're thinking well I can't move on from Keim we've been friends for years, I can't just fire Kliff he's a great guy I really like him etc.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When I follow you round saying nothing but "moaning again' you might have a point
Look at this thread. You jumped right in on Bidwill's side. Couple that with your constant moaning about anyone daring to criticize your beau Bidwill, and you follow this whole board around with nothing but "Bidwill's good this, Bidwill's average that, you can't say anything bad about Bidwill the other" crap. It's obvious. I'm just pointing it out for ya.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at this thread. You jumped right in on Bidwill's side. Couple that with your constant moaning about anyone daring to criticize your beau Bidwill, and you follow this whole board around with nothing but "Bidwill's good this, Bidwill's average that, you can't say anything bad about Bidwill the other" crap. It's obvious. I'm just pointing it out for ya.

Again, tell me how stating facts is defending Bidwill?

Stout

Reaction score
Again, tell me how stating facts is defending Bidwill?
Rather than jumping on a poster's case for making a good point, you could have, I dunno, responded to the original post?

Mm, there I go, being insane again. You aren't self-aware and will never be self-aware, so why should I be bothered. Blithely convinced of your own unassailable righteousness lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rather than jumping on a poster's case for making a good point, you could have, I dunno, responded to the original post?

Mm, there I go, being insane again. You aren't self-aware and will never be self-aware, so why should I be bothered. Blithely convinced of your own unassailable righteousness lol

The man said "repeatedly failing". That's simply not accurate. I'm entitled to ask how he considers his record to be so without permanently angry blowhards stalking me.

Feel free to stand aside and let him speak for himself.

Stout

Reaction score
The man said "repeatedly failing". That's simply not accurate. I'm entitled to ask how he considers his record to be so without permanently angry blowhards stalking me.

Feel free to stand aside and let him speak for himself.
Sure sounds like defending Bidwill's honor to me.