Ok lets talk guns.

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Dude, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

Liberals in this sub: Trump and the GOP are literally Nazis. They are taking children from parents and putting them in concentration camps.

Also Liberals in this sub: There is absolutely no need for anyone to have an assault rifle.

The cognitive dissonance in this sub is astonishing.

2. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

WHAT???

You think we should:
    • Arm ourselves and start shooting at other Americans.
    Rather than:
    • Acting like empathetic human beings and expecting even our government officials to be the same.
    Do you EVEN know what the phrase "cognitive dissonance" stands for? Because you just displayed a WHOLE LOT of it!

This fluffing 12yo cowboy mentality has got to go man.

Either that, or obsess using Nerf guns instead.

3. Folster

Do you only apply this logic to firearms?

Also, I'm not against potential regulation like background checks and state implemented mandatory training for certain firearms. Confiscation and mandatory buybacks, as I've stated before won't work and will just set precedence for further infringement on 2nd amendment rights.

4. DWKB

DWKB Registered

This is what happens when you listen to Ben Shapiro in a non-ironic way.

That’s all I have to add.

5. Big_Red_One

Big_Red_One Free Agent

I am a former army ranger, former NRA member and a gun owner. I would give up my guns.

Blanket statements that are plain untrue and using labels, you are correct sir; I do not understand half of the country I willingly volunteered to protect.

6. Western Font

Western Font Registered

That’s not cognitive dissonance: I have not seen any critic of the detention camps here suggest that taking up arms is part of the solution or may be necessary. Projecting an inconsistent assumption onto them is a false equivalency.

7. Folster

What firearms do you have currently and what's stopping you turning them in now?

8. Big_Red_One

Big_Red_One Free Agent

Not sure naming what I have, posting photos, videos or whatever "proof" you would require to suspend your incorrect assumption above would ultimately satisfy your needs.

The second question is fair; if it was made easy to do where they would be taken out of circulation they would be gone.

9. Folster

Not requesting proof. I was just curious. Thank you for your service, by the way.

I'm not accusing you of lying about your service in any way, but I find it odd that somehow every former Army guy I come across always claims to have been a Ranger. Do you experience that as well? I imagine it would pretty annoying to a Ranger like yourself. Have you ever caught somebody lying about it?

10. nidan

nidan Oscar Contributor

You simply don't understand what we are saying as it has no relationship to what you are repeating back to us.

What I don't understand is why

Almost nobody thinks confiscating guns is desirable or possible.

What we want is small steps any of which you and the NRA deliberately misquote because you don't want to do anything. This is the attitude that pushes us further apart.

If you would actually listen and not insist on a solution that solves everything or doing nothing, maybe we might have a dialogue.

Given the rhetoric from the NRA I have zero trust in them. Less than zero

11. nidan

nidan Oscar Contributor

They are forcibly separating kids from their parents and putting them in inhumane cells

THERE IS NO NEED for civilians to have assault rifles

12. Big_Red_One

Big_Red_One Free Agent

I typically do not talk about my service, as it was another lifetime ago, so I do not come across many Rangers. If someone needs to inflate stories about their service, yes it would annoy me (understatement), but they would have much bigger issues (psy-soc) then me being annoyed to worry about.

Obviously, my beliefs and views are unique, but my point of responding to your post is that blanket statements and labels are not helpful nor completely true. Humans are much more complex

13. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Limiting the bullet capacity of all guns (handguns and rifles) would save lives by lessening the fire power of these weapons.

The argument is not taking guns away but mitigating the damage.

Having guns that spew lots of bullets in a civilian environment is a luxury for those who desire it.

Because the horse is out of the barn is not a reason for not securing the rest of the horses.

14. nidan

nidan Oscar Contributor

Labeling is a standard tactic.

It allows the person to over simplify an issue/person/subject, then they can argue against the label instead of having to address real issues with facts and reasoned arguments. Hence the use of the label 'Liberal', it allows people to pretend we are weak, anti gun, pro illegal immigration ... all in one simple word, then they argue based on that.

15. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

Regardless of how many lives it saves or doesn't, nobody has ever provided anything close to a compelling reason why citizens should be able to own and use military hardware other than "2A" or "Because I can".

FWIW, those are not compelling reasons they are lazy responses because the person in question had no leg to stand on.