Offseason News & Rumors

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I figured we could start a thread for rumors. I figure there will be a million of them and the are already starting.

It seems Seattle has a leg up on landing one of the top free agents in the starting pitching available in free agency, Jason Schmidt. The Longview native almost signed with the Mariners four years ago -- his agent told Seattle that Schmidt was coming its way, but the pitcher had a change of mind overnight -- and his interest in the Mariners is high. Schmidt has said publicly he is open to returning to the Giants, the team that beat out Seattle for his services at the 2002 winter meetings. But sources say there seems little chance of the right-hander's returning to San Francisco for the 2007 season. He has hinted in the past few weeks that he'd like the chance to pitch for Seattle.
benmaller.com

The Astros are expected to make a big push for free-agent slugger Carlos Lee because they need a big righthanded bat in the middle of their lineup. If they don't sign him, though, Pat Burrell could be a cheaper alternative since the Phillies could be expected to pick up a hefty chunk of his salary. ... The Diamondbacks were 24th in the majors in homers. Jeff Moorad, who was Burrell's agent when he signed his 6-year, $50 million deal with the Phillies, is now the team president. And Burrell lives in the Phoenix area in the offseason. So there could be a fit.
philly.com

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The Astros are expected to make a big push for free-agent slugger Carlos Lee because they need a big righthanded bat in the middle of their lineup. If they don't sign him, though, Pat Burrell could be a cheaper alternative since the Phillies could be expected to pick up a hefty chunk of his salary. ... The Diamondbacks were 24th in the majors in homers. Jeff Moorad, who was Burrell's agent when he signed his 6-year, $50 million deal with the Phillies, is now the team president. And Burrell lives in the Phoenix area in the offseason. So there could be a fit.
philly.com
Right, the annual former Moorad client who lives in the Valley horsecrap. Instead of landing players by who they were formerly represented by and where they live, how about getting some guys that can hit and pitch while not making ten figures?

OP
OP
Espo

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Right, the annual former Moorad client who lives in the Valley horsecrap. Instead of landing players by who they were formerly represented by and where they live, how about getting some guys that can hit and pitch while not making ten figures?
Amen to that. If Morad was a good agent for these guys then we already know they are overpaid for their talent level.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thread, I am going to sticky this (even though not a whole lot will happen until after the World Series)

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Well, here's a question. Realistically what could we get for Estrada?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here's a question. Realistically what could we get for Estrada?
Oscar Villareal and Lance Cormier? :shrug:

Well, his trade value now is higher than it was a year ago since he has moderately successfully rebounded from his injury, so a young, middle to back of the rotation starter isn't out of the question.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Oscar Villareal and Lance Cormier? :shrug:

Well, his trade value now is higher than it was a year ago since he has moderately successfully rebounded from his injury, so a young, middle to back of the rotation starter isn't out of the question.

Well, with the Indians talking of moving their C to 1B could we possibly get Jake Westbrook for Johny?

Another team looking for a catcher may be the Reds. Maybe something like Homer Bailey/a young pitcher from them + Ryan Wagner?

I'm just trying to think of some possible trade scenarios...

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, with the Indians talking of moving their C to 1B could we possibly get Jake Westbrook for Johny?

Another team looking for a catcher may be the Reds. Maybe something like Homer Bailey/a young pitcher from them + Ryan Wagner?

I'm just trying to think of some possible trade scenarios...
Homer Bailey is overpayment for Estrada, and I don't know how high the Indians are on Westbrook but I'd suspect we would have to add something with Estrada to get him as well.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
What about Estrada, Hairston, Valverde and another prospect? That sounds managable on Cleveland's side.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
What about Estrada, Hairston, Valverde and another prospect? That sounds managable on Cleveland's side.

I'll pass. I think Valverde with the right coaching is just too good to be a throw-in for Westbrook. Same with Hairston. I'd like to see Scott get some PT this year backing up Hudson and playing 4th OFer.

Westbrook would be a nice #4, but I don't think he's as good as CLE's making him...

OP
OP
Espo

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I'll pass. I think Valverde with the right coaching is just too good to be a throw-in for Westbrook. Same with Hairston. I'd like to see Scott get some PT this year backing up Hudson and playing 4th OFer.

Westbrook would be a nice #4, but I don't think he's as good as CLE's making him...
I don't think you will see Hairston back up Hudson at all. If any young guy gets that spot it will be Callaspo. Hairston hasn't played 2B at all in the past two seasons in Tucson. I just don't see them playing him there after all his time has been spent learning OF.

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
Whats with your love of Ryan Wagner?

Hairston has no real value with the Diamondbacks and is expandable, and I don't like the idea of having inconsistant Valverde closing out games for us.

AZZenny

Reaction score
This is so beneath you.

I'll just say one word: JennyFinch. It is obviously NOT beneath fans of either gender to be appreciative when a good player also provides a little eye candy. Just that guy fans tend to be a bit holier-than-thou about it.

You'de be blushing to hear what gets said about Carlos Quentin, Conor, and Miggy when four or five female fans are together at a game, I suspect.

A few years ago when the Phillies came to BOB, a bunch of us went with the visiting Schillingfan to sit in the LF bleachers... didn't we Uncle Chris?... and held up a beefcake calendar photo of Pat The Butt Burrell, yelled some teasing/encouraging comments, etc. -- he took it like a very good sport, even when some teenage boys picked up on the fun and got a bit more graphic.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'll just say one word: JennyFinch. It is obviously NOT beneath fans of either gender to be appreciative when a good player also provides a little eye candy. Just that guy fans tend to be a bit holier-than-thou about it.

You'de be blushing to hear what gets said about Carlos Quentin, Conor, and Miggy when four or five female fans are together at a game, I suspect.

A few years ago when the Phillies came to BOB, a bunch of us went with the visiting Schillingfan to sit in the LF bleachers... didn't we Uncle Chris?... and held up a beefcake calendar photo of Pat The Butt Burrell, yelled some teasing/encouraging comments, etc. -- he took it like a very good sport, even when some teenage boys picked up on the fun and got a bit more graphic.

I didn't say it was beneath everybody, just you.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score

Whats with your love of Ryan Wagner?

Hairston has no real value with the Diamondbacks and is expandable, and I don't like the idea of having inconsistant Valverde closing out games for us.

What's the love with Westbrook? He isn't a dominant pitcher. He's a 3-5.

There's no love for Wagner. We need a TON of BP help and I figured why not take a chance on this kid. Just a couple years ago people were talking so much about this kid and I think he got rushed up. I'm sure with the right coaching he could get some of the potential back.

Unless Brad Lidge is truly for trade I don't see us getting a different closer..

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the D'backs go after Zito, it's going to blow up in their face.... frankly the thought of him at Chase is down right scary.

I hope the Dbacks do the right thing and bring in ground ball pitchers like they did with Livan Hernandez who played decent down the stretch. Maybe a Ted Lily or hell, Jeff Suppan would fill in nicely.

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score

Jenny is a good example. I had the privilege of sitting next to her at the Sidewinders last game (Postseason) and she is drop dead gorgeous. She is definitely eye candy for the guys...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose