Official World Cup 2010 thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Glad that Spain won, but what a terrible game. At least the 2nd half was better than the first, but that kick by De Jong... how that wasn't a red card, I'll never know--that was one of the worst fouls I've ever seen. Surprising that Xabi Alonso didn't end up with a broken rib or two.
what if that was his face? it might have ended his life. I don't know what anyone was thinking at that point. the last thing as a fan(neutral) that you want to see in a world cup final is a red card. but the dutch rightfully earned it and fate has it that the favor was returned when the ref missed the corner at the end. there is no way to spin this one...the dutch players would be kicking themselves if they watched the tape. the way they played and abused the officials was ugly and should not be tolerated. that said for the spaniards as well for the ref abuse.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
what if that was his face? it might have ended his life. I don't know what anyone was thinking at that point. the last thing as a fan(neutral) that you want to see in a world cup final is a red card. but the dutch rightfully earned it and fate has it that the favor was returned when the ref missed the corner at the end. there is no way to spin this one...the dutch players would be kicking themselves if they watched the tape. the way they played and abused the officials was ugly and should not be tolerated. that said for the spaniards as well for the ref abuse.

Van Bommel is a particular problem as far as rough-house tactics on the field. I like him for Bayern Munich, he has some skills at controlling a game, but from the opening kick he was playing dangerous. It's like the Dutch decided to play rough, and look what happened. They lost.

Granted, there's no question that Spain is the better team, but if the Netherlands had played more smoothly, which they are capable of doing, then the game might have ended up differently. You saw a little bit of that from Robben, but he dove a lot, breaking up play.

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
WOOOOO SPAIN!

Sucks that Rode Kardinaal is a Dutch fan, I didn't mean to root against them, but I didn't like Robbens flopping.
Yet the Spanish flopping is somehow overlooked.

Funny thing is, if Robben would have flopped in that second half run when he was held by Puyol, it would have been a definite red card. In stead the guy who supposedly only flops stayed on his feet, went for the goal, and missed it because of Puyol's fouling.

No hard feelings, i just wanted to show the other side of the coin. Just because he exaggerates his falling down doesn't mean that he's not fouled. I've seen way more real flops from the Spaniards today. No problem, part of the game, and up to the ref to deal with it. But don't blame one player and give a free pass to his opponents for doing the same or even worse.

As for the game. The best team won. Some bad calls, some fortunate ones. We had our chances to win it and we blew them. Disappointed as hell, been a long time since i've felt this empty.

Going to bed now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yet the Spanish flopping is somehow overlooked.

Funny thing is, if Robben would have flopped in that second half run when he was held by Puyol, it would have been a definite red card. In stead the guy who supposedly only flops stayed on his feet, went for the goal, and missed it because of Puyol's fouling.

No hard feelings, i just wanted to show the other side of the coin. Just because he exaggerates his falling down doesn't mean that he's not fouled. I've seen way more real flops from the Spaniards today. No problem, part of the game, and up to the ref to deal with it. But don't blame one player and give a free pass to his opponents for doing the same or even worse.

As for the game. The best team won. Some bad calls, some fortunate ones. We had our chances to win it and we blew them. Disappointed as hell, been a long time since i've felt this empty.

Going to bed now.

Feel bad for you, but a Dutchmen complaining about flopping is like Shaquille O'Neal complaining about getting bowled over in the lane by Channing Frye.

Sure, the Spanish flopped some, but the Dutch did it as well. The Dutch are more known for flopping anyway. But they decided to play like thugs, and it hurt them in the end.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with Rode, i dont know what colored glasses y'all were watching this thru but both sides flopped a ton. As bad as that Jong kick was, it will be tough for any ref to issue a red card for that in what? 10-15mins into a world cup final. It is definetly a high kick, same as any illegal "above the shoulder" high kicks that plagues the sport; Xabi was just unlucky to have caught it in the chest. Didn't an Uruguay player bicycle kick someone in the face in the semi? and he didn't get booked for that, he got booked for flopping after!! stupid move? Yes, Malicious? Absolutely not, they were both making a play for the ball.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I completely agree with Rode, i dont know what colored glasses y'all were watching this thru but both sides flopped a ton. As bad as that Jong kick was, it will be tough for any ref to issue a red card for that in what? 10-15mins into a world cup final. It is definetly a high kick, same as any illegal "above the shoulder" high kicks that plagues the sport; Xabi was just unlucky to have caught it in the chest. Didn't an Uruguay player bicycle kick someone in the face in the semi? and he didn't get booked for that, he got booked for flopping after!! stupid move? Yes, Malicious? Absolutely not, they were both making a play for the ball.

Doesn't matter. It was an extremely dangerous play and a red card offense according to the rules--doesn't matter if it's 10 minutes in or 75. Giving him a free pass for that is ridiculous.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it? Is there a soccer rule that says a Ref should issue a red card for such play? It is solely at the official's decision, I am sure a lot of play in this tournament includes play where the player made stupid moves like that(except they didn't connect or fully connect), were any of them issued a red card?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Is it? Is there a soccer rule that says a Ref should issue a red card for such play? It is solely at the official's decision, I am sure a lot of play in this tournament includes play where the player made stupid moves like that(except they didn't connect or fully connect), were any of them issued a red card?

That was a bad call from the official. Plain and simple. Did he see the extent of it? That's the big question. But yes, studs up above the waist is absolutely a soccer rule. No question.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a bad call from the official. Plain and simple. Did he see the extent of it? That's the big question. But yes, studs up above the waist is absolutely a soccer rule. No question.

Absolutely, it is a booking offense. I just wasn't sure if it is a clear red card. like a charge from behind on a clear path to goal or within the 18 yard box kinda rule.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Absolutely, it is a booking offense. I just wasn't sure if it is a clear red card. like a charge from behind on a clear path to goal or within the 18 yard box kinda rule.

I don't know how anybody can look at that and NOT say it was a red card offense (except Howard Webb, of course. :p).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't care how much anyone poo poo's the Netherlands approach, but I think it was the right one. They were determined to play a tough, gritty defensive approach and try to hit on the counter. I serioulsy doubt that part of the plan was Van Merwyck telling De Jong to kick someone in the chest, though, but rather that he wanted the Dutch slowing the Spaniards down with fouls.

Look at the results. Spain was still able to get some quality attacking in throughout the game, but imagine if the Dutch had been pushing forward; IMO, Spain would have scored 3 or 4. Look at how many times Robben had great chances at goal; the counter gave the Dutch every chance to win. Okay, with a little bit of extra time left the Dutch lost a defender to two yellows and Spain scored the winner, but look how close that strategy had them to penalties or outright victory, if Robben manages to score earlier. Now think about how much space Spain would have had to work with if the Dutch had pushed forward constantly.

I think the Dutch clearly knew they weren't as good as Spain playing wide-open soccer, and went with a good strategy to try and win the game. And, if Iniesta had ended up on the left side of the box, that strategy likely gets them to penalties ;)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
All of the talk about how good Iniesta was is a little myopic, I think. He was wonderful moving with the ball, but until the last shot, he was absolute crap at finishing. He's a nice little player IF he manages to have the ball on his right foot. Iniesta seemingly can't hit the broad side of a barn with his left foot. He'll even refuse a wide-open run at the goalie in favor of trying to cut back BEHIND a beaten defender to try to get it on his right foot. Ugh, that was a stupid, stupid play.

But hey, he got the chance at the winner on his right foot, and he struck it well, so good on him.

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
I thought a good night sleep would cure it a little, but nope. Think back to how you felt after the Super Bowl. Then multiply that by a lot. And i've been there both times. Ugh.

Oh well, in 32 years we'll have another shot. :(

Feel bad for you, but a Dutchmen complaining about flopping is like Shaquille O'Neal complaining about getting bowled over in the lane by Channing Frye.
I'm not complaining about the flopping and whining, i'm complaining about the complainers of Dutch flopping and whining only. If Webb would have given a card for everytime Iniesta and Xavi, the wonderfootballers and so called purists of the game, asked for one to be handed out, that would have been enough cards to play a WSOP Main Event. It's the details that can win you games on this level, and you take what the ref gives you, so i don't blame them for doing it (even though i have to fight the urges to go out and kill everyone that look like Iniesta right now ;)).

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Picture of RK on Monday has now surfaced
Now i know why my cigarettes were all squashed. Just kidding, i don't smoke, i don't know who's cigarettes that were...

I'm feeling a bit better now. Still a bit sad from blowing that once's in a lifetime opportunity, but the emptiness has disappeared, as expected.

By the way, there were about a million people to honour our squad upon arrival back in Amsterdam, with a boat ride through the town canals and some festivities on the museum square. Maybe a bit too much celebrating for a second place in my view, but almost a million people on a tuesday (workday) afternoon, that's almost 6.5% of our entire nation's population. Not too bad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson