Official Cuts/Practice Squad Thread

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Two things:
1. We'll know if the team thinks that Butler might have a future, if they sign him to the PS.
2. I recently read (and I already forget where) that Arizona has a Top Ten Talent rating on a roster of players under 25 years of age. If so SK must be doing something right.
That top ten talent article was on ESPN and basically said "well they have Kyler and Isaiah Simmons." They admitted to the whole thing being skewed off of two top players.

Our talent under 25 is actually pretty bad.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s a yawning gap between not getting a second contract and not playing in a single game, but you prolly knew that already, right?

i do know that and you probably know the success rate of 4th rounders across the NFL.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No matter how you slice it, Keim has retained like in the top 5 least of his players of NFL GMs in the past 5 years or so. I read it in an article a few months back. It's not good. Keim sucks at drafting.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All this arguing about Butler and 4th round picks is missing one key detail. He obviously wasn't worth a 4th round pick. Teams passed on him over and over and now we know why.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No matter how you slice it, Keim has retained like in the top 5 least of his players of NFL GMs in the past 5 years or so. I read it in an article a few months back. It's not good. Keim sucks at drafting.

I don’t disagree, but it does feel to me like there has been a noticeable philosophical shift over the last two years.

I feel like his early success led to a bit of a “smartest guy in the room” mentality that lead him to take too many unnecessary, poorly calculated risks (small school, position changes, traits over production, character red flags etc.). That mentality lead to way too many misses. I think the last two years have shown a movement back to smart, disciplined football players. That’s why I was ok with the Butler pick as it felt like it was the only pick that year that didn’t have the “A” grade on football character that the Cardinals assign (obviously I don’t know that for certainty).

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chris Jones has promise. Surprised he's cut considering our issues.

If they are thinking about picking up a cornerback from another teams’ cuts, maybe look out for Sidney Jones. He has just been released from the Eagles. The Cards obviously like defensive backs out of University of Washington.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No you should actually know how the draft works and have a realistic view of it. A 4th round pick contributing and playing a legit role for the team is a lot more rare than a 4th rounder being cut.

You should do more research before getting personal with me, as I back my stuff up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...long-does-the-average-draft-pick-stick-around

Not sure why you’re choosing to die on the hill of being ok with a fourth-round pick playing zero snaps, but it’s an interesting one, especially since this is Keim’s second fourth-round whiff in three drafts.

As a fan, you should expect that Keim be at least within the average range for draft success, but he hasn’t been. This is well chronicled

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they are thinking about picking up a cornerback from another teams’ cuts, maybe look out for Sidney Jones. He has just been released from the Eagles. The Cards obviously like defensive backs out of University of Washington.
We shouldn’t be taking CBs that come from the Eagles of all teams.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There was a time he was a fine player. It always seemed to me he never recovered from the Achilles tear. His Eagles’ career has been a continuation of injury issues. I’m not certain if he’ll ever be the player he once was. He might be better than what they’ve got, but can he stay on the field?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evan Weaver reportedly released.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Not that I'm crying over releasing a 6th round pick, it's just intense that we keep cutting draft picks in such short timespans.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not that I'm crying over releasing a 6th round pick, it's just intense that we keep cutting draft picks in such short timespans.
My thinking was that all draft picks were gonna make the team because of the uncertainty that came with not having preseason games and only having six picks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not surprised about Weaver. It was always going to be close. Turner, Vallejo and Gardeck moving back were always options.

I thought he might beat out Gardeck for potential but apparently not.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Eagles play a different scheme and Sidney Jones is often injured. I'd rather stick with Chris.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There was a time he was a fine player. It always seemed to me he never recovered from the Achilles tear. His Eagles’ career has been a continuation of injury issues. I’m not certain if he’ll ever be the player he once was. He might be better than what they’ve got, but can he stay on the field?

I guess that is the big question, Harry. :) And I am not saying it would be a good idea to sign him. Just that I could see them do it.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You should do more research before getting personal with me, as I back my stuff up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...long-does-the-average-draft-pick-stick-around

Not sure why you’re choosing to die on the hill of being ok with a fourth-round pick playing zero snaps, but it’s an interesting one, especially since this is Keim’s second fourth-round whiff in three drafts.

As a fan, you should expect that Keim be at least within the average range for draft success, but he hasn’t been. This is well chronicled

Who was picked right after Butler and Johnson and where are they now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA