Official Backyard Gardening thread

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Try www.arbico-organics.com in Tucson. Green lacewings are even better for aphids, though.

They're very decent price, very good quality, and ship fast. They also have a sale on do-it-yourself pick-up loads of organic compost just now if you drive there and load it - $75. The 'load it yourself' part discouraged me, but for some of you it might be OK, and I've used it in the past. Good stuff.

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

I bought a huge composter from Costco 6 months ago, so I've got that going back there. It's going really slow though.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also pissed because those white flies have destroyed the garden. Squash. Dead. Cukes. Dead. Melons...alive, but not happy. Two tomato plants. Dead. Pumpkins...almost dead.
:( I'm sorry. That really sucks.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where I ordered them from:

http://www.growquest.com/free_ladybugs.htm

However, they haven't sent them. I'm pissed.

Also pissed because those white flies have destroyed the garden. Squash. Dead. Cukes. Dead. Melons...alive, but not happy. Two tomato plants. Dead. Pumpkins...almost dead.

It is almost like a family member is ill...I'm very upset with those damn bugs.

Sucks. Mine is pretty close to that. Your post reminds me of this quote;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Capone: I want you to get this eff where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy Eliot Ness, I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna PISS ON HIS ASHES!

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Time to reboot.

Anyone have their gardens going yet?

We bought a russian tomato plant from costco a few weeks ago. Four little green guys have popped out. We've got the garden nice and fenced off this time, so the dog won't be enjoying my tomatoes this year.

Planted some watermelon, carrots, peppers, onions, and tried some corn this year. I have no idea if I can grow corn, but my kids really wanted to try.

Also planted another fruit tree. I've already forgotten what it is, perhaps tangerines.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to reboot.

Anyone have their gardens going yet?

We bought a russian tomato plant from costco a few weeks ago. Four little green guys have popped out. We've got the garden nice and fenced off this time, so the dog won't be enjoying my tomatoes this year.

Planted some watermelon, carrots, peppers, onions, and tried some corn this year. I have no idea if I can grow corn, but my kids really wanted to try.

Also planted another fruit tree. I've already forgotten what it is, perhaps tangerines.
There's a house in my neighborhood for sale that I have my eye on. It has a HUGE backyard. If dcr & I are able to buy it, a garden is definitely going in. I'm not going to bother while we're in this rental, though.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got my patio garden going. I think I am finally getting the hang of planting things in Arizona.

Have a tomato plant that has a few flowers on it. Also have a jalapeno plant and a bell pepper plant that is starting to sprout. Have an eggplant that is producing flowers and some strawberry plants that have been giving me some yummy strawberries. Got some basil, too. Not too bad for a small patio. :)

AZZenny

Reaction score
Been picking chard, snap peas, carrots, rapini, asparagus, and armloads of flowers for a few weeks. And a few strawberries every couple days. Bean plants are up, potatoes are for the most part perking along OK under a bed of straw. I am very late transplanting my home-started French and heirloom tomato plants -- that's for this weekend, along with planting watermelons and early Hopi limas.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Planted some jasmine in the back yard on a trellis that now coincidentally blocks my neighbor's view into my living room. They have an elevated hot tub and their kids stand on it and stare at us. Creepy.

I also have some gardinias going in the entry way, I've never been able to grow them but I got some huge planters and there is no sun. They smell great and so far, so good!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got 5 tomato plants growing, tons of flowering and several little fruits. Lettuce from an earlier planting is growing beautifully. We had sugar snap peas, but our freaking dog killed them, and ate all the peas. I flipped out on the dog for that one.

More basil again, some thyme and oregano. A few cabbage plants. A bunch of white onions.

Two rows of corn, two rows of spinach and three hills of pickling cukes. All these plants are tiny right now.

I am very happy with the garden so far...gonna fight those white flies like crazy this year, early.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Got 5 tomato plants growing, tons of flowering and several little fruits. Lettuce from an earlier planting is growing beautifully. We had sugar snap peas, but our freaking dog killed them, and ate all the peas. I flipped out on the dog for that one.

More basil again, some thyme and oregano. A few cabbage plants. A bunch of white onions.

Two rows of corn, two rows of spinach and three hills of pickling cukes. All these plants are tiny right now.

I am very happy with the garden so far...gonna fight those white flies like crazy this year, early.

C'mon man... no rabbits or birds eating the fruit?? Exactly how are you doing this?????

AZZenny

Reaction score
Had roast lamb with homegrown potatoes, carrots, and snap pea pods for dinner. That's such a nice feeling! and fresh baby potatoes are incredible.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon man... no rabbits or birds eating the fruit?? Exactly how are you doing this?????

No rabbits in our yard. Birds are a nuisance, but they haven't attacked yet. We've had good luck with streamers in the garden, off poles, because the birds don't like the motion.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had roast lamb with homegrown potatoes, carrots, and snap pea pods for dinner. That's such a nice feeling! and fresh baby potatoes are incredible.

I thinned out our lettuce to fewer ones to get them to bigger, and we had a monster salad with the thinned out ones. So good. Also, a few snap peas survived the attack of the mini dachshund, so we had those too.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread still rocks. :)

Donald's garden looks awesome, even in its infancy.

Our garden is much smaller and we havent planted too much; bell peppers, habanero and Anaheim chile from last year are still going, although the size of the fruit is pretty small. Planted two tomato plants, two basil (drooling for pesto) and a couple other chile plants. Also started some seeds inside for lettuce and cayenne peppers.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread still rocks. :)

Donald's garden looks awesome, even in its infancy.

Our garden is much smaller and we havent planted too much; bell peppers, habanero and Anaheim chile from last year are still going, although the size of the fruit is pretty small. Planted two tomato plants, two basil (drooling for pesto) and a couple other chile plants. Also started some seeds inside for lettuce and cayenne peppers.
Don't forget the 'Bee!! (remember, dcr doesn't like the stuff)

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Tomatoes, zuchinni, swiss chard, carrots, black-eyed peas, potatoes, and bell peppers.

It's my first ever shot at this but everything is coming along quite nicely.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Tomatoes, zuchinni, swiss chard, carrots, black-eyed peas, potatoes, and bell peppers.

It's my first ever shot at this but everything is coming along quite nicely.

Nice! It's definitely a learn as you go process.

I bought a pepper plant from costco the other day. It just sprouted a couple of peppers.

Everything I planted from seed has sprung up except for the watermelon. It was scheduled to pop up 5 days ago, so I guess I'll have to cut bait and try something else.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Nice! It's definitely a learn as you go process.

I bought a pepper plant from costco the other day. It just sprouted a couple of peppers.

Everything I planted from seed has sprung up except for the watermelon. It was scheduled to pop up 5 days ago, so I guess I'll have to cut bait and try something else.

Ha, the watermelon did spring up afterall. Some cantaloupe got mixed in there somehow too. Not sure how since I didn't plant any.

Some of the onions and most of the pepper plants I planted a year ago are still growing.

Pulled about 30 pounds of carrots out of the ground a while back and froze most of them.

Last time I counted I had 115 lemons on my tree. We've been making some mean lemonade.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
My daughter and I prepped our garden spot today. It's been a few years, so our spot is pretty rough. Watered down the dirt and setup some new costco raised flower beds. Now we just need to buy some potting soil and seeds.

We'll start the seeds in seed trays and then transplant the ones that sprout. Can't wait to get started!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been harvesting a bunch from my garden this year.

Planted a half dozen White Jalapenos this year and made a bunch of homemade hot sauce:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here are a few of the amazing peaches that I got this year off my Dwarf Bonanza Peach tree:

Fresh San Marzano Tomatoes that I turned into a traditional pasta sauce: