Offensive Predictability

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
It seems to me it was fairly obvious whether we were running or throwing and if we were running, it was almost always the same play (or 2).

My question is this:

"Why is it that we never run mis-direction, trick plays, or even a QB play-action rollout pass"? Kind of like what 49er's and Bronco's did to us consistently."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OmahaCardsFan said:
It seems to me it was fairly obvious whether we were running or throwing and if we were running, it was almost always the same play (or 2).

My question is this:

"Why is it that we never run mis-direction, trick plays, or even a QB play-action rollout pass"? Kind of like what 49er's and Bronco's did to us consistently."

Because we don't Warner to have to move that much. The reason the 49ers are doing that is Smith can run and they're trying to create situations where he only has to read half the field by misdirection etc. Its' the same thing Denver has been doing for Jake since he got there since shanahan correctly realized he's not able to sit in the pocket and read the field and make plays.

If that had been Denver yesterday I shudder to think how many times they would have killed us with misdirection, Shanahan is one of those guys that will not stop doing it until you prove you can stop it.

Reaction score
OmahaCardsFan said:

My question is this:

If your OL can't keep the defenders out of the backfield on straight-forward plays such as a dive or off-tackle play then slow developing misdirection plays will get blown up about 5-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Regarding predictability: I remarked to my son prior to a particular play, "this is going to be a run" and it was. The tip-off - Fred Wakefield shuttling in to replace the other TE in the game.

I would guess, and hope, that Wakefield was on the field for some pass plays also, but it is obvious the he is in there to block and therefore greatly increases the likelihood of a running play-call.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
If your OL can't keep the defenders out of the backfield on straight-forward plays such as a dive or off-tackle play then slow developing misdirection plays will get blown up about 5-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
Exactly...

CHAPTER 7

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday ESPN and other sports networks were showing McNabb's fake play that resulted with 60 yard (not sure) pass to Westbrook. Is this something we can do with Cards Offense? I just feel we could do a lot of trick plays and/or play actions.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like on defense, I believe we played the Niners straight up on offense as well. Like Wilson said, the Niners used all 80 pages in their playbook, we used about 5.

I sure hope we were saving some stuff to spring on the Hags. Stuff that will actually work!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CHAPTER 7 said:
Yesterday ESPN and other sports networks were showing McNabb's fake play that resulted with 60 yard (not sure) pass to Westbrook. Is this something we can do with Cards Offense? I just feel we could do a lot of trick plays and/or play actions.

Once they buy we're going to run the ball. That play to Stallworth was a combo of a great play fake and them believing Philly would run the ball in that down and distance.

Cleveland did the same thing to Braylon Edwards on the first play for a long TD but a holding call brought it back. amazing when a WR gets that open.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been really surprised by Warner's ability to throw on the move. Two TDs doing that yesterday and a 22 yd laser to Fitzgerald for a huge 3rd down conversion. I wouldn't completely rule out rollouts. Yes, it's not his strength, but why shorten the playbook when you don't need to?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Just like on defense, I believe we played the Niners straight up on offense as well. Like Wilson said, the Niners used all 80 pages in their playbook, we used about 5.

I sure hope we were saving some stuff to spring on the Hags. Stuff that will actually work!

Speaking of trick plays how about the one where Milford Brown deflects the ball on the snap? I'm assuming he just screwed up the timing and he was actually supposed to catch the snap and run.

:D

at least to his credit he dove on the fumble.

CHAPTER 7

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Once they buy we're going to run the ball. That play to Stallworth was a combo of a great play fake and them believing Philly would run the ball in that down and distance.

Cleveland did the same thing to Braylon Edwards on the first play for a long TD but a holding call brought it back. amazing when a WR gets that open.

It would be sweet to see Boldin or Fitz grabbing wide open TD. With Edge's yardage yesterday, is it safe to say that SF contained him?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CHAPTER 7 said:
It would be sweet to see Boldin or Fitz grabbing wide open TD. With Edge's yardage yesterday, is it safe to say that SF contained him?

No because we controlled the clock when we had to. Edge wasn't great but when we needed to run clock, Edge did it.

The key is last year a playfake to Shipp or JJ wasn't going to get anybody to react, this year to Edge it will.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave