Off the Radar Draftees who you think will be huge stars

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I got a thing about Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech. I have a feeling he is going to be a monster WR, maybe the best of this class. A lot of teams who need a WR are going to be sorry they passed on him.

Travis Frederick, OC, Wisconsin is another player I think will be super. I wish and hope he falls to us in one of the rounds.

I think Datone Jones, DE, UCLA is going to be a lot better than we think and than most, if not all, those taken ahead of him in that position.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Matt Scott will be most successful QB taken this year, not quite of the radar though

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
John Simon, Ohio State. I think he's being overlooked. He's been injured the entire draft season process and people are judging him by his 1 bad Senior Bowl practice where he was still battling the knee surgey but he was the best defensive player in the Big 10. Not only can he play, he's as hard working as they come and a team leader. The guy I compare him to is Ryan Kerrigan.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
DJ Swearinger.

Not a huge star, but the guy is a lights out hitter who has also played corner too. He'll be a good strong safety who strikes fear in wideouts who dare cross the middle.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Garrett Gilkey, OG/OT

Multi-sport athlete. NFL size. Can be had in the latter rounds (5th).

Guy is going to be a good guard for a long time for the team that picks him, IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not sure about huge stars, but I think these players will outplay their drafted position.

Sean Renfree - QB
Jonathan Franklin - RB (previously mentioned)
Mark Harrison - WR
Chris Harper - WR
Walter Stewart - OLB/DE
Cornellius Carradine - OLB/DE
Joe Kruger - DE
Earl Watford - OG
David Quessenberry - OG/OT

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DJ Swearinger.

Not a huge star, but the guy is a lights out hitter who has also played corner too. He'll be a good strong safety who strikes fear in wideouts who dare cross the middle.

Agree I would love it if he was still on the board when the Cardinals come up in round 3

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
that honey badger drug dealer boy. yeah him. i think he'll be alright.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
John Simon, Ohio State. I think he's being overlooked.

Some fans might be overlooking him but he isnt by the scouts. A lot of stories about the guy since their pro day. Secret may be out to the media finally this past week. He doesnt get out of the 2nd round IMO.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
DJ Swearinger.

Without a shadow of a doubt the most aggressive D player(not just DB but all of them) coming out in the draft. Has already been suspended for his aggressive play. But he brings some technically sound tackling skills with it and has even played some CB and FS this past year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I got two 6th or 7th round types. Only reason I know their names is because I know we have heavily scouted both.

LB – Armonty Bryant – East Central – The Cards and 49ers are also heavily scouting this guy. Great measurables and AWESOME production even if it is a small school. 60 tackles, 18 TFL’s, 11 Sacks, 4 FF, 10 QBH’s, 2 FR’s, 2 Blocked kicks. All in only 8 games!

TE – Lucas Reed – New Mexico – Local boy and brother of Brooks Reed. 6-6, 250lbs, 35.5” arms, 10.5” hands, runs a 4.7, if he was invited to the combine his bench would have been the best there, 37” vertical, amazing 3cone and shuttle times. Why is such an athlete still available? Went to New Mexico, TE completely phased out of the O his senior year only catching 5 balls (was very productive up to that point), route running needs major refinement (at shrine game he was getting berated to correct it by the coaches most of his time there).

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I got two 6th or 7th round types. Only reason I know their names is because I know we have heavily scouted both.

LB – Armonty Bryant – East Central – The Cards and 49ers are also heavily scouting this guy. Great measurables and AWESOME production even if it is a small school. 60 tackles, 18 TFL’s, 11 Sacks, 4 FF, 10 QBH’s, 2 FR’s, 2 Blocked kicks. All in only 8 games!

TE – Lucas Reed – New Mexico – Local boy and brother of Brooks Reed. 6-6, 250lbs, 35.5” arms, 10.5” hands, runs a 4.7, if he was invited to the combine his bench would have been the best there, 37” vertical, amazing 3cone and shuttle times. Why is such an athlete still available? Went to New Mexico, TE completely phased out of the O his senior year only catching 5 balls (was very productive up to that point), route running needs major refinement (at shrine game he was getting berated to correct it by the coaches most of his time there).

In regards to Bryant, I would assume you are talking OLBer ?

http://ecutigers.com/profile.asp?playerID=343

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not off the radar but I think Keenan Allen will be a much better NFL player than people expect. People don't realize how often that guy was open, while doubled, the last 2 years. But his half brother at QB was terrible(Maynard) and really limited his production.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a star in a couple of years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
DJ Swearinger.

I would not mind at all if the Cardinals drafted him in the 3rd round. He is a stud IMO.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DJ Swearinger.

Can you still do that in the NFL? How will the protective rules on hitting receivers affect a player like him? Myself and others have felt that the rules had an adverse affect on Adrian Wilson for instance.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Swearinger S
Thornton G
Alford CB
Goodwin WR
Rodgers QB
Schwenke C
Poyer CB
Quessenberry OT
Armstead OT
Watson OT

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Can you still do that in the NFL? How will the protective rules on hitting receivers affect a player like him? Myself and others have felt that the rules had an adverse affect on Adrian Wilson for instance.

I think this is an area where players just have to be smart and I think Swearinger is. I would argue that wide receivers are even more inclined to be intimidated by big hitters because they are getting hit less in general. Less contact in practices and less contact in games makes them less conditioned to make tough catches while taking hits. If you can find safeties that can hit hard in a legal way, it will be a huge asset.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I forgot to add Quanterus Smith to my list of possible stars. The guy might have the best set of pass rush moves in the draft, has a really good first step and plays the read option very well.

Carradine, Walter Stewart and Smith are all really good pass rush prospects who are being downgraded because they are coming off serious injuries.

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score
I think Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati is going to have a monster career. Assuming his head stays screwed on and his body healthy.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Swearinger S
Thornton G
Alford CB
Goodwyn WR
Rodgers QB
Schwenke G
Poyer CB
Quessenberry OT
Armstead OT
Watson OT

A lot of folks like Swaringer a lot. I don't know why he's so down in many rankings.

I think Poyer will be real decent. He has a nose for the ball. Good playmaker. Probably a 2nd or 3rd Rd. pick.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I have taken the liberty to address some of the names mentioned here. You might enjoy what is being said about them.

1, Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky, 6-3, 332, CBS Rank=75

Difficult for DT's to slip by him on pass protection. Surprisingly balanced with good
lateral agility. Can slide either direction. Strong hands to grab defender's breast plate and negate any quickness or arm-length advantage. Good awareness of surprise blitzes and the competitiveness to finish off defenders that he catches off balance. Adequate initial quickness to pull, but lacks speed. Has explosive pop to knock defenders off the ball.

2. Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tenn. then Tenn. Tech., 6-3, 217, CBS Rank=82

Too strong for most teams to consider pressing. Versatile enough for slot or outside lineup. Great size-speed, but greatest asset is toughness. Absorbs big hits without dropping the ball. Powerful runner who gets tough YAC, yet has speed to run away from the pack. Has the conception for being a troublemaker-----suspended from Tenn and x-ferred to Tenn Tech for rules violations.

3. David Quessenbury, OT/OG, San Jose St., 6-5, 302, CBS Rank=103

Ranked third Sr. Bowl O-lineman behind Fisher & Johnson. Is a polished blocker with quickness-----handled the pass rush all week at Sr. Bowl practice. Surprised many scouts.

4. D.J. Swearinger, FS, S.Carolina, 5-11, 208, CBS Rank=115

Stout frame & good build but a little short. Big hitter who targets head-chest too much. Good hands to jam the WR at the line. Good acceleration, including burst to close on the ball. Good at shedding blocks. Too stiff for NFL slot receivers and is better suited to FS.

5. Matt Scott, QB, Arizona, 6-2, 213, CBS Rank=146

Dual strength passer well suited to the NFL today. Efficient setup and delivery. Quick release. Tight spiral and has velocity to make every throw. Drives passes thru tight windows, even on deep ins/outs. Good accuracy on slants. Shows good touch to loft passes between defenders, or down the sidelines. Good elusiveness in the pocket, yet remains a passing threat when on the move. Squares shoulders to deliver passes with zip. TOUGH, Played thru consussion. Is willing to take on big hit to stand in the pocket and make the throw. Selfless teammate. Lean build makes him injury prone.

6. Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon, 5-9, 196, CBS Rank=153

Shifty back w/stop, start, go ability to shake defenders and break off long runs. Has excellent speed and is a threat to score every carry. Quick to the hole w/good vision to set up blocks. Natural runner who can lull the defender to sleep, then change gait to explode by and ruin pursuit angles. Has reliable hands as a receiver And as a P/K returner. This experience will keep him in the NFL. Is a finesse runner, who has trouble breaking tackles. Rely's on cut blocks rather than taking on a pass rusher.

Last edited:

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add Quanterus Smith to my list of possible stars. The guy might have the best set of pass rush moves in the draft, has a really good first step and plays the read option very well.

Carradine, Walter Stewart and Smith are all really good pass rush prospects who are being downgraded because they are coming off serious injuries.

I was wondering if you were going to pimp him. Smith wont make it to the 6th round. If a team wants him they better get him in the late 4th or 5 round.

I also like Thorton out of Ill. I have him as the 4th best power guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA