Off-season Prediction

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Judging from many forum comments I’m expecting to hear an endless stream of injury related postings seeking to justify the Cards’ poor 2022 performance. The reality is the dominos seem easier to align. It started with Hopkins‘ suspension. He was Murray’s security blanket. Murray seems fragile composure-wise under the best of circumstances. It was never clear to me this was a survivable loss. Certainly if Hopkins & Brown can be successfully paired, the offense should improve. However, without the suspension I suspect Brown would never have been acquired. Turning to the draft this trade is an understandable effort to keep Murray stable.

Nevertheless, nothing justifies the philosophy of the Cards’ draft. The O-line disaster was easily predictable. Hudson wanted out and should have been allowed to leave. One of the major injustices of the NFL Players’ Agreement is that a retirement is treated like a release for cap purposes. This clause was pushed by cheap owners to save money. The Cards thus felt justified in pressuring Hudson to return. They made no serious effort to backstop his absence. Elsewhere on the line, they got lucky for awhile with Hernandez. However, Pugh’s career long injury issues finally caught up with him. Essentially little focus was directed at building line depth until very late in the draft and virtually not at all in free agency. It’s hard to argue that the possible collapse of the line was not foreseeable.

Turning to the second round pick, McBride is potentially a quality NFL player. That said, one of the dangers of BPA is that it can blind one to the fit of that player. The winner of the Mackey Award (best TE), it’s hard to argue McBride was not at least a BPA contender for this slot. The Cards selecting him ignored both the current offense’s design and the Ertz contract. They might as well have drafted a potential starting QB. I favor the teams who focus on BPA in clear areas of need.

Had Hopkins not been sidelined and the second pick not been so misguided, it seems plausible this season might have been significantly different. I do not believe Keim can escape taking some of the blame for this debacle, but most of it lies with Hopkins and should impact his future Hall of Fame status. Has he regularly cheated and finally just got caught?

The third round of the draft was harder to criticize. Losing Jones in free agency was inevitable for a realist. Jones was clearly in decline and it seemed certain some other team would overspend on him. So I was fine with letting him go. The Cards selected 2 developmental rushing prospects in round 3. These type of players usually take at least a couple of years to become impact players. It’s too early for a final judgment, but there have been the hoped for flashes of success. Again it’s important to note that beyond losing Jones, the Cards lost Peters. It again was foreseeable that aging had taken its toll. Keim undervalued his absence and allowed the interior of the D-line to be manned by unproven players. Fotu had shown no signs of being an impact player. Others, like Lawrence, appeared to be journeymen at best. In the case of both pass rushers and anchors, free agents were available, but Keim seemingly made no effort to secure even one prominent candidate.

I’ll wrapup my hindsight draft evaluation with rounds six and seven. Six was another wasted pick. Both Ward and Benjamin clearly were at least as skilled as Ingram, so this was another pointless pick. The desperation attempt to help the O-line in the seventh round may pay dividends but for 2022 it was too little, too late. This was a bad draft, though not all Keim’s fault thanks to Hopkins. if the coming off-season doesn’t focus on rebuilding the trenches, anticipate next season will be a similar disaster whomever is the coach.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
if the coming off-season doesn’t focus on rebuilding the trenches, anticipate next season will be a similar disaster whomever is the coach.
no 1 weakness post 2020
no 1 weakness post 2021
no 1 weakness post 2022

in fairness: injuries do matter. I doubt any team's offense is going to be as effective with 4/5 projected starters missing significant time and 9 different line combos in 11 games.

This level of injury has made Sean McVay look like Joe Judge this season

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Judging from many forum comments I’m expecting to hear an endless stream of injury related postings seeking to justify the Cards’ poor 2022 performance. The reality is the dominos seem easier to align. It started with Hopkins‘ suspension. He was Murray’s security blanket. Murray seems fragile composure-wise under the best of circumstances. It was never clear to me this was a survivable loss. Certainly if Hopkins & Brown can be successfully paired, the offense should improve. However, without the suspension I suspect Brown would never have been acquired. Turning to the draft this trade is an understandable effort to keep Murray stable.

Nevertheless, nothing justifies the philosophy of the Cards’ draft. The O-line disaster was easily predictable. Hudson wanted out and should have been allowed to leave. One of the major injustices of the NFL Players’ Agreement is that a retirement is treated like a release for cap purposes. This clause was pushed by cheap owners to save money. The Cards thus felt justified in pressuring Hudson to return. They made no serious effort to backstop his absence. Elsewhere on the line, they got lucky for awhile with Hernandez. However, Pugh’s career long injury issues finally caught up with him. Essentially little focus was directed at building line depth until very late in the draft and virtually not at all in free agency. It’s hard to argue that the possible collapse of the line was not foreseeable.

Turning to the second round pick, McBride is potentially a quality NFL player. That said, one of the dangers of BPA is that it can blind one to the fit of that player. The winner of the Mackey Award (best TE), it’s hard to argue McBride was not at least a BPA contender for this slot. The Cards selecting him ignored both the current offense’s design and the Ertz contract. They might as well have drafted a potential starting QB. I favor the teams who focus on BPA in clear areas of need.

Had Hopkins not been sidelined and the second pick not been so misguided, it seems plausible this season might have been significantly different. I do not believe Keim can escape taking some of the blame for this debacle, but most of it lies with Hopkins and should impact his future Hall of Fame status. Has he regularly cheated and finally just got caught?

The third round of the draft was harder to criticize. Losing Jones in free agency was inevitable for a realist. Jones was clearly in decline and it seemed certain some other team would overspend on him. So I was fine with letting him go. The Cards selected 2 developmental rushing prospects in round 3. These type of players usually take at least a couple of years to become impact players. It’s too early for a final judgment, but there have been the hoped for flashes of success. Again it’s important to note that beyond losing Jones, the Cards lost Peters. It again was foreseeable that aging had taken its toll. Keim undervalued his absence and allowed the interior of the D-line to be manned by unproven players. Fotu had shown no signs of being an impact player. Others, like Lawrence, appeared to be journeymen at best. In the case of both pass rushers and anchors, free agents were available, but Keim seemingly made no effort to secure even one prominent candidate.

I’ll wrapup my hindsight draft evaluation with rounds six and seven. Six was another wasted pick. Both Ward and Benjamin clearly were at least as skilled as Ingram, so this was another pointless pick. The desperation attempt to help the O-line in the seventh round may pay dividends but for 2022 it was too little, too late. This was a bad draft, though not all Keim’s fault thanks to Hopkins. if the coming off-season doesn’t focus on rebuilding the trenches, anticipate next season will be a similar disaster whomever is the coach.
I agree with most of what you are saying here. With knowledge that Hudson wasn't long for the league, finding a new center should have been a priority. I agree the two edge players have shown some potential to develop.

Ultimately this year has proven that Murray isn't a top QB. I estimated between 7-11 wins. Seven was the injury plagued year where few teams would have a winning record, and eleven was the team meeting it's top potential and getting some unexpected player performance along the way.

If I'm the Cardinals, I'm looking at a front seven impact player or a stud OL in the draft. The Cardinals need to win more on the front lines to get substantially better. Someone like Anderson from Alabama or Myles Murphy. The Cardinals also need a legit starting NT which can be found cheaply in FA.

I'd resign Hernandez to stay at RG and move Josh Jones to RT. LG needs to be addressed as does center.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It’s hilarious that @Harry has turned on McBride, a guy whom he predicted going into training camp would take snaps away from AJ Green on the outside.

Oops.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s hilarious that @Harry has turned on McBride, a guy whom he predicted going into training camp would take snaps away from AJ Green on the outside.

Oops.
I don’t think harry turned on McBride. He’s criticizing the selection (keim) not the player. And maybe harry was right, maybe he should have taken snaps from aj?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t think harry turned on McBride. He’s criticizing the selection (keim) not the player. And maybe harry was right, maybe he should have taken snaps from aj?
I mean, McBride stinks as a receiver now after a half-season of development. Hard to believe he’d be better as a raw rookie.

Very little to speak of McBrides prowess as a receiver to-date.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you are saying here. With knowledge that Hudson wasn't long for the league, finding a new center should have been a priority. I agree the two edge players have shown some potential to develop.

Ultimately this year has proven that Murray isn't a top QB. I estimated between 7-11 wins. Seven was the injury plagued year where few teams would have a winning record, and eleven was the team meeting it's top potential and getting some unexpected player performance along the way.

If I'm the Cardinals, I'm looking at a front seven impact player or a stud OL in the draft. The Cardinals need to win more on the front lines to get substantially better. Someone like Anderson from Alabama or Myles Murphy. The Cardinals also need a legit starting NT which can be found cheaply in FA.

I'd resign Hernandez to stay at RG and move Josh Jones to RT. LG needs to be addressed as does center.
This seems sound, though Jones, like Humphries seems to struggle on the right side.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
This seems sound, though Jones, like Humphries seems to struggle on the right side.
i thought that was his rookie year?

last year, he was wayyyyyy better at RT than RG

he has been reasonably sound (fingers crossed still) filling in for DJ the last few games

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

Oops.
Absolutely correct, though I’m not certain this doesn’t reflect more on the coaching than me. If you’re pleased with Green’s performance maybe my idea wasn‘t worth trying. However, if you watch the college tape on McBride, he played TE more like a WR. I still think it couldn’t have been worse if they’d tried it, but this offense isn’t noted for out of the box thinking.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They will suck again next year..good luck to hard working folks buying season tickets trusting this franchise

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you look at elite teams, they build competent depth in case of injuries to starters. For those that argue its hard to build depth with salary cap, that's just a cop out for mid market owners who cannot / will not dole out big money bonuses to offset salary cap restrictions ala Stan Kroenke. If you can't draft then you have to be willing to spend money to get impact pieces for your team to win, Bidwill ain't going to be able to hang with the big guys like Kroenke, Walton, Jones, Ross, etc.

Ideally, draft should focus on premier positions like CB, EDGE & OL and FA should be to add impact guys to OL & DL.

I think the only areas ARZ is set at is WR & S. So needs are:
2 CB's
EDGE
NT
OG
OC
Post DJ LT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member