Off season: Focus on offense

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As discussed at length the don't have a great cap situation and we are losing quite a few starters. We simply don't have the money to add significantly to both sides of the ball.

Looking at the teams remaining in the playoffs it's pretty clear they all have a similar team structure. Heavy investment in the offense and a defense that's good enough with focus on the D line.

None of the teams remaining has outstanding CB's other than Ramsey on the Rams. None of the teams have great linebackers other than Warner on the Niners. Their defenses are generally made up of solid vets and rookies with potential except on the D line where each team has a couple of stars at least.

So my thought is, can we role into 2022 with the same defense outside of CJ and put most of the resources into the offense? Can we even play Kennard at OLB and finally get some value out of him? Resign Alford (or a similar cheap vet), trade Hicks and put everything else into the offense.

Our defense was good most of the year until the injury bug hit. Will we really miss Jones much over Kennard when Jones was a ghost for 75% of games?

A top 15 defense with a top 3 offense can win the superbowl.

Bring in a new guard in round 1, resign Kirk, Maxx and Ertz. Draft a WR to replace Green in round 2. Draft a RB in round 3. Go all out on offense, and bank of guys like Collins, Wilson etc improving.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
If opposing offenses or too good to stop for the most part, seems the best way to keep pace is to have an offense that’s equally difficult to stop. I agree that we have “enough” to field a serviceable defense (top 15ish) and with a few smart adds on offense the Cards could be an offensive juggernaut. We saw that in the first half of the season when at full strength.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're preaching to the choir.

Yes the defense was adequate when we were scoring 33 points a game. THAT'S what we have to get back to.
WR, I'm sticking with my guns that a guy like Cedric Wilson could replace Kirk at a lower price. I'd even look into a one year prove it deal WR. Chark would be a good choice but based on his pass performances he may get a pretty good offer elsewhere. Hopkins, Wilson, Chark, Moore, Westley and Dortch is an upgrade in my opinion. Faster and bigger and YAC would improve.

I'd also want us to figure out a way to add an experienced guard like Glowinski. Ben Jones is 32 years old but is a very good center and guard. We all know what happened when we lost Hudson. Maybe add a draft pick and build a 0-line that has quality and depth.

TE is a bit muddled. Does Ertz want to stay here bad enough to take less money? Williams, I love the guy but that was a gruesome injury last year and I doubt he will be the same guy next year. I believe he would start on the PUP list. Mo Alie-Cox is younger and highly rated blocker and averaged 13 yards a catch. An option if Ertz leaves. We would still need to add another veteran TE. Our other tight ends would make water boy on my team.

You really didn't talk about the RB's which is another enigma. There are questions on all 4 of our backs.
How much will Conner demand? Will he sign here?
How much will Edmonds demand? Will he sign here?
Can Eno take on a larger role? What if he doesn't or can't?
Is Ward anything more than a #4 back?

Maybe a guy like Marlon Mack could be brought in on a 1 year prove it deal. He's been hurt the last 2 years but did have a 1000 yard season. He is only 25. There are other options available out there.

If we are going to build this offense for the 2022 season it's got to be mostly vets. I don't like filling major holes with the draft. Too many times you are settling for the 4th best player at his position because of need. I think fixing the the offense with veterans allow you to go in any direction on draft day. Edge rusher (probably) cornerback (maybe) O-line ( later) or even wr ( I wouldn't).

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes the defense was adequate when we were scoring 33 points a game. THAT'S what we have to get back to.
WR, I'm sticking with my guns that a guy like Cedric Wilson could replace Kirk at a lower price. I'd even look into a one year prove it deal WR. Chark would be a good choice but based on his pass performances he may get a pretty good offer elsewhere. Hopkins, Wilson, Chark, Moore, Westley and Dortch is an upgrade in my opinion. Faster and bigger and YAC would improve.

I'd also want us to figure out a way to add an experienced guard like Glowinski. Ben Jones is 32 years old but is a very good center and guard. We all know what happened when we lost Hudson. Maybe add a draft pick and build a 0-line that has quality and depth.

TE is a bit muddled. Does Ertz want to stay here bad enough to take less money? Williams, I love the guy but that was a gruesome injury last year and I doubt he will be the same guy next year. I believe he would start on the PUP list. Mo Alie-Cox is younger and highly rated blocker and averaged 13 yards a catch. An option if Ertz leaves. We would still need to add another veteran TE. Our other tight ends would make water boy on my team.

You really didn't talk about the RB's which is another enigma. There are questions on all 4 of our backs.

Maybe a guy like Marlon Mack could be brought in on a 1 year prove it deal. He's been hurt the last 2 years but did have a 1000 yard season. He is only 25. There are other options available out there.

If we are going to build this offense for the 2022 season it's got to be mostly vets. I don't like filling major holes with the draft. Too many times you are settling for the 4th best player at his position because of need. I think fixing the the offense with veterans allow you to go in any direction on draft day. Edge rusher (probably) cornerback (maybe) O-line ( later) or even wr ( I wouldn't).

Maxx will be full go by camp I'm sure. He was hurt in game 5.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Rumors are Doyle is looking at retiring and the Colts said they definitely want to bring Cox back so I suspect the Colts will make an offer that keeps him in Indy. Mack on the other hand wants out of Indy, in fact asked for a trade which Indy declined. He is very available and is a capable RB.

What concerns me is Keim will jack around trying to decide what to do with Edmonds and Conner and by the time a decision is made they have either signed on with another team and the RB market has been squeezed dry and the team is left with a RB dilemma.

The WR position is in such a state of flux. We have no idea what the thoughts are on Green though I suspect Keim would like to bring him back. I think Kirk despite being vocal about wanting to stay will head off to FA to another team who is willing to back up the truck as they say. If Green and Kirk leave via FA then WR suddenly becomes a position of need and if Keim can't get a FA or two to come to AZ then drafting a WR becomes a ppossibility especially how deep this class is there.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rumors are Doyle is looking at retiring and the Colts said they definitely want to bring Cox back so I suspect the Colts will make an offer that keeps him in Indy. Mack on the other hand wants out of Indy, in fact asked for a trade which Indy declined. He is very available and is a capable RB.

What concerns me is Keim will jack around trying to decide what to do with Edmonds and Conner and by the time a decision is made they have either signed on with another team and the RB market has been squeezed dry and the team is left with a RB dilemma.

The WR position is in such a state of flux. We have no idea what the thoughts are on Green though I suspect Keim would like to bring him back. I think Kirk despite being vocal about wanting to stay will head off to FA to another team who is willing to back up the truck as they say. If Green and Kirk leave via FA then WR suddenly becomes a position of need and if Keim can't get a FA or two to come to AZ then drafting a WR becomes a ppossibility especially how deep this class is there.

I like both Edmonds and Conner. I would keep Edmonds over Conner but I'd also quite happily let both walk.

RB is the easiest position to replace. Spending any kind of money on either of them would be a waste.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
As discussed at length the don't have a great cap situation and we are losing quite a few starters. We simply don't have the money to add significantly to both sides of the ball.

Looking at the teams remaining in the playoffs it's pretty clear they all have a similar team structure. Heavy investment in the offense and a defense that's good enough with focus on the D line.

None of the teams remaining has outstanding CB's other than Ramsey on the Rams. None of the teams have great linebackers other than Warner on the Niners. Their defenses are generally made up of solid vets and rookies with potential except on the D line where each team has a couple of stars at least.

So my thought is, can we role into 2022 with the same defense outside of CJ and put most of the resources into the offense? Can we even play Kennard at OLB and finally get some value out of him? Resign Alford (or a similar cheap vet), trade Hicks and put everything else into the offense.

Our defense was good most of the year until the injury bug hit. Will we really miss Jones much over Kennard when Jones was a ghost for 75% of games?

A top 15 defense with a top 3 offense can win the superbowl.

Bring in a new guard in round 1, resign Kirk, Maxx and Ertz. Draft a WR to replace Green in round 2. Draft a RB in round 3. Go all out on offense, and bank of guys like Collins, Wilson etc improving.

I agree with this approach because, as the OP states, we have limited resources for 2022, and, I believe we have enough talent (on paper) on the defensive side of the ball to be successful enough to win a championship.

DL = Watt, Phillips, Lawrence. back ups are Allen, Peters and Dogbe. When healthy (I know, I know), and with maybe just one upgrade to NT, this unit could actually be dominant.

LB = The weakest defensive unit going into the offseason because of the C Jones contract situation, the puzzling ILB issue, and declining production from the OLB position. But, hopefully we can figure out how to use Collins and Simmons at least. If we do "one big thing" for the defense is should be at OLB.

CB and S = We're pretty well set here. Resign Alford, maybe add a little more depth to CB, and it will have to do.

I know it's not pretty, but based on the above, it's the offensive side of the ball that is in greater need. So spend one chunk on OLB, a little on CB, and pour the rest into the oline and WR corp.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like both Edmonds and Conner. I would keep Edmonds over Conner but I'd also quite happily let both walk.

RB is the easiest position to replace. Spending any kind of money on either of them would be a waste.
Letting both walk? Okay then give us some names.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Letting both walk? Okay then give us some names.
Fournette, Lindsay, Patterson, Mostert, Penny, Michel, Mack, Darrell Williams, Damian Williams, RJII, Murray, McKinnon, Justin Jackson.

I could put my hand down the sofa cushions and find a RB that can do the same job. Easiest position in sport to replace.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this approach because, as the OP states, we have limited resources for 2022, and, I believe we have enough talent (on paper) on the defensive side of the ball to be successful enough to win a championship.

DL = Watt, Phillips, Lawrence. back ups are Allen, Peters and Dogbe. When healthy (I know, I know), and with maybe just one upgrade to NT, this unit could actually be dominant.

LB = The weakest defensive unit going into the offseason because of the C Jones contract situation, the puzzling ILB issue, and declining production from the OLB position. But, hopefully we can figure out how to use Collins and Simmons at least. If we do "one big thing" for the defense is should be at OLB.

CB and S = We're pretty well set here. Resign Alford, maybe add a little more depth to CB, and it will have to do.

I know it's not pretty, but based on the above, it's the offensive side of the ball that is in greater need. So spend one chunk on OLB, a little on CB, and pour the rest into the oline and WR corp.
Why on earth would you resign Alford, he is almost never available

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Why on earth would you resign Alford, he is almost never available

nidan! Oh my gosh, so great to hear from you!

On Alford, I agree with you to a point, but we got like, what, 10 good games from him this past year? And he could be resigned for super cheap probably? It's not optimal, but I'm betting we could get 10 more good games in 2022 for not much money.

But How have you been man? Sorry that we haven't kept up too much. I hope things are as well as possible in your neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Third-round draft pick to be named later.

Seriously people. If you think James Conner or Chase Edmonds are irreplaceable you’re not watching much NFL.

Neither are irreplaceable, but both are a proven commodity as opposed to a draft pick. Neither are fumblers (chase had zero, Conner had two), both are (apparently in J. Conner's case) excellent receivers.

I mean, disagree if you want, and I apologize for the hyperbole, but they comprise a championship backfield. Replaceable? Sure, but let's not go out of our way to do so.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We should draft Jermaine Johnson(if he’s there) or a WR, but I think we’re gonna go CB & Roger McCreary specifically.

Drafting a Guard that doesn’t offer positional flexibility in the 1st round doesn’t sit right with me.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I really like Roger McCreary but if he is limited to slot corner - we probably have bigger needs than that.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
In keeping Edmonds/Conner I would think knowing our playbook gives them at least a slight edge over similarly talented RB’s, yes?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In keeping Edmonds/Conner I would think knowing our playbook gives them at least a slight edge over similarly talented RB’s, yes?
Probably not. Our playbook isn’t that complex, especially for a back.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We should draft Jermaine Johnson(if he’s there) or a WR, but I think we’re gonna go CB & Roger McCreary specifically.

Drafting a Guard that doesn’t offer positional flexibility in the 1st round doesn’t sit right with me.
I would add two offensive pieces in the first two rounds (kenyon green or the Alabama guy or Ekwonu) then wr in round 2 like Charleston Rambo, Martin Emerson in round 3

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Charleston Rambo is crazy fast, has good hands and worked already with Murray

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose