Odegard: Steve Keim Never Went All-In, Should Be Out As Cardinals General Manager

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a 4 prong problem.
1. Bidwill signing Keim and Kingsbury to extensions after the collapse of last season very well could have planted a seed of complacency. It’s now being said the players are no longer buying into Kingsbury. If that is true then there were some that were already not buying into him by the end of last year.
2. Keim. Until he starts to understand you don’t win without investing heavily in the lines. You don’t build a dominant team by drafting 5’8” oft injured wr’s, and signing 2nd and 3rd tier or oft injured , old lineman.
3. Kingsbury. He has to retool his thinking and his college based offense. Someday he’s going to have to realize bubble screens don’t work in the NFL especially early in the game. Maybe later when the defense is gassed it might work. Also do you really want Hopkins blocking on those type of plays. It would help to if he utilized players on this roster. Why isn’t Dortch rotating with Moore? When should he realize Conner is not a 3 down back early in the game?
4. Kyler. Signed to a contract before his time again plants a seed of complacency. If Kyler was playing for a contract this year maybe he becomes more of a student of the position. Maybe, just maybe he pushes through some of these injuries.
This team is in trouble and it’s not going to turn around in one year. Keim, Kliff and Kyler aren’t going anywhere. It starts with Keim. Unless Keim dedicates all of the assets available to our lines and establishing an identity, things won’t change.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is a 4 prong problem.
1. Bidwill signing Keim and Kingsbury to extensions after the collapse of last season very well could have planted a seed of complacency. It’s now being said the players are no longer buying into Kingsbury. If that is true then there were some that were already not buying into him by the end of last year.
2. Keim. Until he starts to understand you don’t win without investing heavily in the lines. You don’t build a dominant team by drafting 5’8” oft injured wr’s, and signing 2nd and 3rd tier or oft injured , old lineman.
3. Kingsbury. He has to retool his thinking and his college based offense. Someday he’s going to have to realize bubble screens don’t work in the NFL especially early in the game. Maybe later when the defense is gassed it might work. Also do you really want Hopkins blocking on those type of plays. It would help to if he utilized players on this roster. Why isn’t Dortch rotating with Moore? When should he realize Conner is not a 3 down back early in the game?
4. Kyler. Signed to a contract before his time again plants a seed of complacency. If Kyler was playing for a contract this year maybe he becomes more of a student of the position. Maybe, just maybe he pushes through some of these injuries.
This team is in trouble and it’s not going to turn around in one year. Keim, Kliff and Kyler aren’t going anywhere. It starts with Keim. Unless Keim dedicates all of the assets available to our lines and establishing an identity, things won’t change.
Our failed screen plays haven been a hot topic on the board since Kliff's inauguration. Not to argue with you, and I did se how those screen plays repetitively failed, but I have to wonder what's wrong with our screen passes. All NFL teams run it. Several of them have been very successful, Lambs and Whiners being the two immediate examples. Why our offense seems can never make a good screen plays? My guess is our personnel is not a good fit, our WRs are either slender or tiny, and our TEs, outside Maxx, aren't good blockers (some are atrocious, yes I am talking about Daniels).

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our failed screen plays haven been a hot topic on the board since Kliff's inauguration. Not to argue with you, and I did se how those screen plays repetitively failed, but I have to wonder what's wrong with our screen passes. All NFL teams run it. Several of them have been very successful, Lambs and Whiners being the two immediate examples. Why our offense seems can never make a good screen plays? My guess is our personnel is not a good fit, our WRs are either slender or tiny, and our TEs, outside Maxx, aren't good blockers (some are atrocious, yes I am talking about Daniels).
When do you run a screen? Most often you are trying to slow down an over aggressive pass rush. That usually happens when your offense has been wearing them out with the pass. I’ve seen us throw screens. On first down when defenses are playing a contain first down defense, it isn’t effective. Not saying that’s the only proble.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When do you run a screen? Most often you are trying to slow down an over aggressive pass rush. That usually happens when your offense has been wearing them out with the pass. I’ve seen us throw screens. On first down when defenses are playing a contain first down defense, it isn’t effective. Not saying that’s the only proble.
EXACTLY. Screens are built to catch teams off guard. When you use them as a staple of your offense like WE DO, it does nothing but put us in lengthy to go situations.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When do you run a screen? Most often you are trying to slow down an over aggressive pass rush. That usually happens when your offense has been wearing them out with the pass.
EXACTLY. Screens are built to catch teams off guard.
True, but WR screens are also used to spread defenses out and get them running side to side, in order to soften them up and make it easier to run.

Of course, they'd be more effective if they involved WRs who could block or elude tackles, and if they didn't telegraph the plays so obviously, or if they more frequently faked the screen and threw over the top, thus preventing the defense from sniffing it out and stopping it so easily.

...dave

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after a game he didnt play in!
He got ripped on TV by the ESPN crew before an international game by the likes of Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Young, Robert Griffin III, and others. Today's local radio is just a continuation of that.

ESPN crew takes aim at Kyler Murray’s leadership​

Kyler Murray did not play in the Arizona Cardinals’ loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night due to a hamstring injury, but he was still a major topic of conversation during the ESPN broadcast. He probably would have preferred not to be.

ESPN’s “Monday Night Countdown” crew spent roughly four minutes prior to kickoff criticizing Murray for his poor leadership ability. First up was former Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who played with Murray for two seasons. Fitzgerald praised backup quarterback Colt McCoy for his leadership ability and seemed to hint that Murray does not have the same qualities.

“The conversations with former teammates were glowing about his leadership — leading meetings, taking the onus,” Fitzgerald said of McCoy. “If he makes a mistake, saying, ‘That was on me, I’m gonna get it fixed.’ That’s a big part of being a leader.”

Robert Griffin III then chimed in and said Murray seems like he is “on his own sheet of music” too often. RG3 suggested the Cardinals should let Murray install the offensive game plan every week so he cannot point the finger at anyone else when things go wrong.

Much more at the link:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The man should be sued for negligence. He continues to throw crackers at a starving fan base, acting like the team is fine as constructed. Meanwhile the eagles and Howie Roseman with the best record in football, look for every and any way to gain an advantage, going so far as to sign both Linval Joseph AND Suh! This after their first loss in which the Commanders were able to run at will on them. Not to necessarily say we should have done the same, but it just underscores how they as an organization are firmly in on winning NOW while we are just posers and selling a bill of goods as contenders.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
state radio is really trashing Kyler today. look... I'm super down on Kyler this year but the way they're letting Keim/Kliff off the hook for the disaster this team is is laughably pathetic.
CLASSY. I'm sure Kyler feels good knowing that his team has his back.

Remember when Michael Bidwill said that he was a huge Kyler Murray fan?

That was in late February. People conceived that day haven't been born yet. What a dumpster fire this franchise is.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
wow

finally got to read the entire thing. Kyle didnt hold back at all --

given the fact that they were co workers less than 12 months ago -- makes ya wonder

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also what happened to Kent Somers/AZ Central. Why did they go all soft on Cardinals. Maybe they are trying to survive

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
He got ripped on TV by the ESPN crew before an international game by the likes of Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Young, Robert Griffin III, and others. Today's local radio is just a continuation of that.

ESPN crew takes aim at Kyler Murray’s leadership​

Kyler Murray did not play in the Arizona Cardinals’ loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night due to a hamstring injury, but he was still a major topic of conversation during the ESPN broadcast. He probably would have preferred not to be.

ESPN’s “Monday Night Countdown” crew spent roughly four minutes prior to kickoff criticizing Murray for his poor leadership ability. First up was former Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who played with Murray for two seasons. Fitzgerald praised backup quarterback Colt McCoy for his leadership ability and seemed to hint that Murray does not have the same qualities.

“The conversations with former teammates were glowing about his leadership — leading meetings, taking the onus,” Fitzgerald said of McCoy. “If he makes a mistake, saying, ‘That was on me, I’m gonna get it fixed.’ That’s a big part of being a leader.”

Robert Griffin III then chimed in and said Murray seems like he is “on his own sheet of music” too often. RG3 suggested the Cardinals should let Murray install the offensive game plan every week so he cannot point the finger at anyone else when things go wrong.

Much more at the link:

His dislikable attitude is only drawing attention to his poor play

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think we for the most part have figured out what is wrong with the Cardinals, and it is the coaching staff and upper management. This is how a young QB regresses, this is how you can't get your crap together by game nine, this is how you see players thinking they can go off on coaches and when coaches do stuff which makes them get cut

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
state radio is really trashing Kyler today. look... I'm super down on Kyler this year but the way they're letting Keim/Kliff off the hook for the disaster this team is is laughably pathetic.
Yes - you know where these lackey morons are getting their info and takes from when the topic of the day is how much Kyler sucks when he hasn’t played in three weeks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes - you know where these lackey morons are getting their info and takes from when the topic of the day is how much Kyler sucks when he hasn’t played in three weeks.
Look… I agree the MNF crew likely gets their info from the Cards brass trying to point blame at Kyler and… well… anyone they can to avoid pointing at themselves.

But do you give any credence to Fitz? That’s a former cardinal, who not only played with Kyler but still knows and played with some of these guys in the lockeroom and he wasn’t kind last night.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We, and 'they', are continually all over our team, from bottom to top. It's a mess, but not so different than last 50 of Cardinal buffoonery. I wonder why major pundits are just now paying attention to the Cardinals and their weaknesses and incompetence. Is it only because we had one nice run at the beginning of last year, that anyone not affiliated with the Cards would now care about.

I'll believe others really care or show any concern about our team the day during the draft that they don't cut to a commercial right when the Cards' pick is about to come up.

Now back to all the critique of our QB, owner, and especially GM. I am glad that our GM is being singled out so demonstrably, as well as our ownership for going along with so many of his glaring mistakes and costly decisions. But, like I said yesterday in another thread, I am refraining from dumping the load at Kyler's feet until I see him lined up behind a solid OL and a totally healthy and complete WR corp.

And there is one obvious omission of blame that seems never to be mentioned, and that is our Cardinal team's absence of a 12 man. Our team has never had a big strong 12th man to excite and add moral support to the equation. Most teams have that, at least during winning stretches. But not us. There is a 12th man that shows up at our home games, but it belongs to the visiting team, no matter which one. I'm not saying there isn't a reason for us missing that element of the team. I'm just pointing out that we lack that one constant element which other teams get to take advantage of most weeks.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose