Oceans 8

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
okay folks... this is gonna be the big girl power movie of the year... looks pretty solid.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

apparently there is no Billy Ocean in the movie...so here ya go...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely stoked to see this. I really enjoyed Ocean’s 11 (12/13 were just ok) and I am excited for an all female cast for this one.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey, I thought the new all women Ghostbusters was going to be bad, but I really liked it. I'll give this one a chance to.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't really get why people are upset about this. It's basically just a female heist movie, with a previous IP title's thrown on to try and entice more movie goers.

If it wasn't called Ocean's 8 and was just a big budgeted all-star female cast doing a heist movie would you still be upset about it?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'll be seeing it because there are some pretty talented actresses in it. Cate Blanchett pretty much elevates everything she is in. Same with Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Don't really get why people are upset about this. It's basically just a female heist movie, with a previous IP title's thrown on to try and entice more movie goers.

If it wasn't called Ocean's 8 and was just a big budgeted all-star female cast doing a heist movie would you still be upset about it?

Not upset about it at all. I just find it an eye-rollingly bad re-tread idea, lacking any sense of originality.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not upset about it at all. I just find it an eye-rollingly bad re-tread idea, lacking any sense of originality.

It’s a heist movie... which at this point is genre unto itself. How do you know if it’s original or not before you see how they pull it off?

Stout

Reaction score
It’s a heist movie... which at this point is genre unto itself. How do you know if it’s original or not before you see how they pull it off?

Then just make it a female-cast heist movie. Why make it Ocean's 8? Don't slap a 'franchise' name on it and ride the coattails of other movies. It's done so often any more, and it was old years ago.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Then just make it a female-cast heist movie. Why make it Ocean's 8? Don't slap a 'franchise' name on it and ride the coattails of other movies. It's done so often any more, and it was old years ago.
Lol

Like Black Panther does? After all it definitely is riding the coattails of other movies that came before it. I think it’s hilarious that you write polar opposite posts on the same day on the same forum.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because IP helps sell a movie. Marketing a movie is a big piece of making a movie and America LOVES its “titles”, so if that’s the only way you can get a great cast like this together, who cares what it’s called?

Doesn’t seem like something to vomit at.

Stout

Reaction score
Lol

Like Black Panther does? After all it definitely is riding the coattails of other movies that came before it. I think it’s hilarious that you write polar opposite posts on the same day on the same forum.

Now you're just trying to pick a fight because I made fun of you for GotG lol The two are absolutely, positively nothing alike. But thanks for at least trying to be an irritant :)

Stout

Reaction score
Because IP helps sell a movie. Marketing a movie is a big piece of making a movie and America LOVES its “titles”, so if that’s the only way you can get a great cast like this together, who cares what it’s called?

Doesn’t seem like something to vomit at.

And that kind of Hollywood "gerrymandering" can strike non-Hollywood folks the wrong way. I think it's stale and think it's hilarious that you guys are trying to somehow shame me about that opinion :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Now you're just trying to pick a fight because I made fun of you for GotG lol The two are absolutely, positively nothing alike. But thanks for at least trying to be an irritant :)
Your overly general description of oceans 8 could easily apply to Black Panther.

Stout

Reaction score
Your overly general description of oceans 8 could easily apply to Black Panther.

LOL Okay, Chap. I didn't realize the current Black Panther movie is a title trading on other Black Panther movie titles in the Marvel universe. Clearly they have taken past Black Panther comic movies and slapped the name Black Panther on this new, gender-flipped Black Panther movie.

Boy, that sounds like a ridiculous comparison.

But go on, continue trying to haphazardly shame me for not getting behind this movie. It's rather entertaining.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
lol... they are spinning this as Sandra Bullock being Danny Oceans estranged sister, Debbie. So instead of it being Danny Oceans group it's Debbie Oceans group...
would have been a better spin had Danny Ocean come up with a heist that required a group of women to pull it off.
could go...robbing a mob owned strip club...yeehaw, but obviously too sexist for todays market...
but how about an old church that stole some artifacts and they are paid to get them back...only the place is full of nuns...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that kind of Hollywood "gerrymandering" can strike non-Hollywood folks the wrong way. I think it's stale and think it's hilarious that you guys are trying to somehow shame me about that opinion :D

hollywood "gerrymandering"? i don't even know what that is.

the name is simply a marketing tool. To say the movie looks unoriginal simply because of the title just seems dumb. Now, if you were to say "another heist movie!" bleh! Okay... you're sick of the genre.

but this just seems like a petty reason to dismiss the entire movie as out of hand because Universal is scared to put a movie like this out there without people getting the idea of what type of movie it's going to be.

think of the Ocean's title as a brand. You don't have a problem with the Marvel brand/shared universe, right? This is just another studio attempting to do the same thing with their IP.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

You sound like the worst businessperson on the planet.

Why in the world would the studio/people who already bought and paid for the movies and marketing behind the previous Ocean movies not bank on the name?

Would you be sounding off like this if this was about Danny's long-lost brother, David?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sound like the worst businessperson on the planet.

Why in the world would the studio/people who already bought and paid for the movies and marketing behind the previous Ocean movies not bank on the name?

Would you be sounding off like this if this was about Danny's long-lost brother, David?

Just wait until they get to Danny's sibling Danica, played by Caitlyn Jenner...

Stout

Reaction score
hollywood "gerrymandering"? i don't even know what that is.

the name is simply a marketing tool. To say the movie looks unoriginal simply because of the title just seems dumb. Now, if you were to say "another heist movie!" bleh! Okay... you're sick of the genre.

but this just seems like a petty reason to dismiss the entire movie as out of hand because Universal is scared to put a movie like this out there without people getting the idea of what type of movie it's going to be.

think of the Ocean's title as a brand. You don't have a problem with the Marvel brand/shared universe, right? This is just another studio attempting to do the same thing with their IP.

It's something I made up, clearly :)

I can dismiss a movie for whatever reason I desire, and I have no desire to see this movie. It's amusing that a single smilie has led to a 'how dare you dismiss this movie' witch hunt. Pretty clear that we're in the pre-free agency period dead zone of the off season :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, @Stout - can you see it now?

Tarantino's next heist flick should be one about a group of female robbers after a botched jewelry job.

He could call it Reservoir Cats. :cool:

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hey, @Stout - can you see it now?

Tarantino's next heist flick should be one about a group of female robbers after a botched jewelry job.

He could call it Reservoir Cats. :cool:

or the female killer robot sent back in time to kill people

"**********!"

errr... I aint warmin up...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose