Obi Toppin

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obi Toppin is projected to be an early draft pick by most mocks. This makes it unlikely for the Suns to draft him if they stay at #10.

Toppin is a 6'9" power forward prospect from Dayton who is 22.30 years old.

Per Tankathon, he averaged 20 points and 7.5 rebounds this past season. They have him going #5 in their mock.

NBA Draft Room describes Toppin's game below. In their mock they have him going #3.

Here Is a snippet:

3pt shooting is where Toppin really sets himself apart from the pack. He's got a compact and consistent release and he hits his shot at a high clip. He's great in catch and shoot ability and can also find his own shot of the step-back. If he keeps up this hot shooting it'll be hard to pass on him in the lottery.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/obi-toppin.html

In the mock by NBADraft.Net, they have Toppin going #2.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some video which helps describe Obi Toppin's game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Can you see this guy at PF for the Suns? Light years ahead of what we have now! Wow!

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Toppin goes top 3 at this point. I love the guy package a trade with Ayton and grab him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Toppin goes top 3 at this point. I love the guy package a trade with Ayton and grab him.

IMO, Ayton has much more value than Toppin. I wouldn't include Ayton in any trade for him.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IMO, Ayton has much more value than Toppin. I wouldn't include Ayton in any trade for him.
For some reason we lose at a historic rate with him on the floor. I don't know if it's because he has no brains or no heart, but I know he makes the team no better. Trade Ayton for Jonathan Isaac and draft Haliburton. Do something, trade Ayton while he still does have value. I'm not spending anymore money on tickets if they keep Ayton.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason we lose at a historic rate with him on the floor. I don't know if it's because he has no brains or no heart, but I know he makes the team no better. Trade Ayton for Jonathan Isaac and draft Haliburton. Do something, trade Ayton while he still does have value. I'm not spending anymore money on tickets if they keep Ayton.

I think too much, too soon has been expected of Ayton.

So far Ayton averaged 19 points and 12 rebounds this season. It's about where he should be at age 21. IMHO, the Suns problem is not enough talent.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
His offense is perfect for the Suns... his defense and rebounding, not so much. In this draft though, he is near the top of the wish list.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Above all else, we need three things at the power forward position: athleticism, defense/rim protection and rebounding. Toppin certainly has the first in spades, but is severely lacking in the second and third. Toppin is a good offensive fit next to Ayton, but then again so supposedly were Saric and Kaminsky, and you saw where that got us. I really hope James Jones and Robert Sarver have learned their lesson and realize that there is more to NBA basketball than shooting/scoring.

In my opinion, Toppin at power forward next to Ayton wouldn't look all that different than TJ Warren at power forward next to Ayton.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think too much, too soon has been expected of Ayton.

So far Ayton averaged 19 points and 12 rebounds this season. It's about where he should be at age 21. IMHO, the Suns problem is not enough talent.
Whether Ayton or Toppin, our two big men -- and a combination who complement (complete) each other -- need to be the criteria if we are going to finally take the next step after all these years.

19/12 is a criteria for a cellar dwelling team looking for a star to bring in some fans, which is a banker's priority.

Big men who can stand up to competitors and affect the outcome of games is the fans' priority. As well as a balanced roster.

Next season's roster will show what the priority is . . . as it clearly has for the past decade.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He’d be exciting but I’d hesitate to “ideal” as he’s not a top tier rebounder and his defense is suspect.

That is fair. He’d at least bring some intensity that Ayton lacks. Hopefully some of that would rub off in Ayton...

I was watching the re-airing of the Celtics/Lakers final from 2008 and I had forgotten how next level Garnett’s intensity and competitive fire was. That is something that this Suns team could really use

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That is fair. He’d at least bring some intensity that Ayton lacks. Hopefully some of that would rub off in Ayton...

I was watching the re-airing of the Celtics/Lakers final from 2008 and I had forgotten how next level Garnett’s intensity and competitive fire was. That is something that this Suns team could really use

Watched it to and that crowd was insane. The “Your Not Jordan” chants at Kobe were straight savage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose