NYT: White House reviews plan that would send up to 120,000 US troops to Middle East

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by LoyaltyisaCurse, May 14, 2019.

1. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Oh, and nothing I said or did when Rosen was drafted was anti-semitic. If I did ANYTHING wrong, it was that I was being overly protective of you and your brother. You'll never see it that way, and that's fine. But the truth and fact remains, I was TRYING to keep OTHER people from being anti-semitic on the board (should it have ever come to that) by using your same words, but in an anti-semitic way.

2. Linderbee

Nope, it wasn't a joke. For the record, I find the Confederate flag appalling, it is a symbol of racism, and nothing cheese said about its origins, etc was incorrect.

Fact still remains that Dukes of Hazard (Hazzard? Never watched it, so not sure) made that flag cool to tons of impressionable kids. There is a reason besides racism that someone could own one.

I feel differently about the Nazi flag. I can think of no reason besides racism that someone would own one.

The only thing I fault BRR for is his apathy regarding it. That's white privilege. Not everyone is going to be an activist, though. That doesn't make him racist.

3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I could see someone owning a General lee, but not a confederate flag. I think you’re making a huge leap there.

ozzfloyd and Chaplin like this.
  4. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

You’re still ignoring the crux of his question. You haven’t even talked about the use of the word “colored” to describe an African American.

And let’s talk about Dukes if Hazzard. Yes the confederate flag is and always has been at the very least, a symbol of oppression and treason. However, that show didn’t portray that flag as being anything other than a paint job. I watched that show as a kid and I never registered that it is a racist symbol. Would I now? Don’t know, I only remember the show as being fun, not trying to push an anti-US agenda. Different times and certainly different circumstances.

5. Linderbee

I did answer the colored question. Both dcr and I agree that the context in which BRR used it (and others that have used it) doesn't automatically make one racist.

The flag was the paint job on one of the coolest cars in tv history. No one that was fortunate enough to not know what it meant looked at it as a racist symbol at that time. Like I said, BRR is fortunate that he can be apathetic about its existence in a box in storage. Now, if he ever puts it on display now...I'd look at the situation differently.

6. Linderbee

Flag is a lot cheaper, lol. I know, there were toys, too.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that our schools were pathetic at really teaching us the atrocities of slavery (at least mine was) which also made not seeing how awful the flag is/was easier. My kids got a much better education on slavery than I ever did, and I'm glad to see that the whitewashing is going away.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  7. Chaplin

The fact that it was used at all should give any rational thinker pause, at the very least.

8. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

Beyond the Duke's of Hazzard, a few visual images attached. For a long time, the Confederate flag also was used to promote rebellion, anti establishment and southern culture. To say Billy idols guitar, skynard, Pantera, corrosion of conformity and the massive list of artists that portrayed it were all doing it because of racism (like a Nazi flag clearly would be) is disingenuous or simply having blinders on. Maybe different up ringing, different circles and different geographical roots have something to do with it. The flag was really common in the nineties in Arizona, with music and more and was not by any means taken similarly to a Nazi flag.

I'm on my phone so I won't out in the effort to comment on much more than that. It is true that I'm not racist. I do enjoy race and stereotype commentary, jokes and good natured fun like most people but I absolutely don't hate other races, think I am supreme or anything of the like. Words on the internet can just get very twisted and abused when stumbled across by a social justice warrior who doesn't know the person or the context and takes everything with full and literal face value.

I will give you that I show now apathy here, but I really feel no need to. Not with the way people act. Beyond that, I often have the same conversations in public settings without any of this nonsense and even recall some of this stuff out of humor with friends who find it just as humorous regardless of the board claims of "any minority would agree this is horrible"

It is what it is. I appreciate you deciding to come out and state your opinion in defense but I'm sorry it drug you into the same verbal aggression. You didn't deserve that.

On a side note, I remember growing up in central Phoenix in public school and it being almost like prison where races kinda rolled together more than diversifying among the schools. The Mexicans seemed to always hate the "skater kids" and there was always this racial divide from Jr high through high school. The interesting part of it is that tension was always completely negated in one on one or smaller group settings unless it was the social justice warrior white kids. Those kids thought the skaters were all Nazis.

Later on I remember coming across some tried and true Apache junction skinheads that were associated with people I knew at a concert. After the event, one got in my face asking me why I was talking to a "wagon burner" who was and Indian friend of mine. He then proceeded to comment on how weed is a "****** drug" and how I was beneath him for smoking it. Meanwhile, dude is clearly on steroids and his buddy was totally a meth addict.

These Nazi douchebag types are the same types of caricatures that it seems people imagine when they think of anyone who ever adorned a Confederate flag but ultimately, it's not like that at all. Clearly.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

9. Linderbee

I guess we aren't rational thinkers in this house then, lol.

10. BigRedRage

For the record, my off the cuff "colored" use was not only about black people, clearly, and wasn't used with any negative racial context no matter how bad you guys want it to be.

Yet it continues to be stated as "calls black people colored" because that's the narrative you guys want.

Linderbee likes this.
  11. Chaplin

That is exactly how you used it. At least own up to it and don’t try to explain it away. Your attempts to do so have been woefully inadequate.

I’d like to give you the benefit of the doubt, I really would, but nothing you have said has helped your case.

12. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

LMGDAO

Did BRR *really* just use Lynyrd Skynyrd AND Pantera to try and mitigate his continuing support of the flag of traitors?

The SAME Lynyrd Skynyrd whose last original member ABANDONED use of the Confederate flag around 2012 despite fans threatening to abandon them?

The SAME Pantera whose lead singer stood up in front of an audience, raised his arm in a Nazi salute, and yelled "WHITE POWER"???

HAHAHAHAHAHA

13. BigRedRage

I was talking people of color and non whites in general. I wasn't specifically discussing black people.

You can choose as you wish, just pointing something out.

14. BigRedRage

Point missed. The Confederate flag was widely used for many purposes at the time. Phil may do stupid things but that doesn't make the whole band racists. Those were easy, off the top of my head uses of it.

Nor was I discussing supporting the flag at this time. I was discussing historical use of the flag within the context of the information being talked about and the person talking about it.

15. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

You are so ******* tone deaf, it's almost inconceivable.