NY Mets series begins, is this a defining moment?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just how important is the series at this time of the year? Will it stunt the baby backs growth or do we use this series of a measurement of where we are as a baseball team?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you use it to measure the team against the best in the NL. Losing this series, IMO will not stunt their growth and quite frankly, after the recent run they have had and how good the Mets are running, I am expecting to lose this series.

This will be a fun series and a series win would be a pretty big thing...maybe not defining moment big...but big nonetheless.

AZZenny

Reaction score
If it stunts their growth, that's a manager's fault. He sets the tone so they either learn from the challenge or not. This is the kind of series where you can measure yourself, see what it takes to excel, and get some seasoning. I just hope they play as well as they can -- not sloppy -- have fun, put it to the Mets, and win or lose, gain maturity and confidence. I'm looking forward to this series, too.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is a good series as far as growth and progress measurement, but this team is too young to call this a "defining moment" in my opinion. Should be fun to watch.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Too early in the season for it to be a defining moment, but I definitely agree that it is a big test for this team.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Exactly how could/would this series "stunt their growth"?? The Mets are the best team - by a HUGE margin - in the NL, possibly in all of baseball...
The D-backs should look at this series as an opportunity to test their worth against the best team in the league, but that's it... If they get swept, big deal... Was this team expected to be in the World Series this year??
If they play hard/aggressive all series long & limit the mistakes, they will be competitive.
Let's be real here... They don't have anywhere near the offensive strength to deal with the elite teams. Pitching has been very solid, though I am not at all confident that RJ will last too much longer without hitting the DL...
But their offense is putrid, and against the Mets who can score with the best of them, this weakness will be exposed... I hope not, but my gut says so...

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweep or get swept, this is still just three games out of 162. I wouldn't call it a defining moment at all, and a poor series certainly will not "stunt the growth" of the youth players (nor will a great series rapidly accelerate their growth).

HooverDam

Reaction score
I think winning the series will certainly help their confidence, however, if the Mets sit their entire outfield and David Wright the rest of this series, like they have in game 1, then the Dbacks ought not to be too excited about winning the series.

This upcoming stretch w/ NYM, SF and Boston, if the Dbacks can say go 6-3 or 5-4, I think that would be a major accomplishment.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
D-Backs are doing pretty well against the Amazins. Webb is a GREAT pitcher

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be more excited if the D-Backs had actually faced the Mets that will be holding home field adv. in the playoffs. That was not the same lineup that's been busting seams off baseballs this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson