Nuggets @ Suns Friday game thread 3-31-2023

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I heard that, I'm just not sure whether it was directly from McD or second hand. And if it was McD after he was fired, I'm not sure how much credibility I'd give it. I don't know anything about TJ's source but I certainly don't ever consider Gambo credible unless he makes it clear he got it directly from inside the organization. So I'm going to linger in Whoknowsville.

Yeah I'm pretty much of the same opinion. I don't think any one person pushed for it. Hell, I wanted Ayton over Luka at the time as well for all that matters. I won't fault any one person for it, nor should any one person get credit had he reached his full potential at this point. I don't think it should be put on any one specifically. It's done, he's on his second NBA contract now so it's of little importance who made the call since Sarver, McD, and even Igor are all gone from the organization.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
There was an unconfirmed rumor going around that Book didn’t want Luka and picking him could’ve meant him not signing an extension shortly after that draft. Can’t back that up, but it makes sense especially with how much the two hate each other

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
McD wanted Ayton. He was drunk on measurables and athletic upside. Anything he insinuated after the fact of Luka becoming a superstar is disingenuous.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
There was an unconfirmed rumor going around that Book didn’t want Luka and picking him could’ve meant him not signing an extension shortly after that draft. Can’t back that up, but it makes sense especially with how much the two hate each other
You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sarver didnt make the call to pick Ayton. That was McD, who decided on him a week after getting the #1 pick.

BTW - I know Ayton isn’t the best player from that draft, but I cant see a situation in which a guy like Luka makes this team into a championship contender. Book likely doesn’t stay if Luka is selected and the only other stars that will willingly play with Luka are malcontents like Irving. While we’re positioning for playoff seeding, Dallas will be fortunate to make the play-in game.
Interestingly, the guy from that draft that probably makes this team a championship team is JJJ. He wasn’t a legit consideration for #1, but imagine that guy on this squad.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Therein lies the rub. Ayton wants more offensive touches and to work more around the perimeter. Monty doesn’t want that. When’s the last time Ayton shot a three? He makes them at about a 33% clip, which isn’t awful. There’s literally a mismatch in values between Ayton and the coaches/front office. Frankly, I have no clue why James Jones was aggressive in matching the RFA tender if neither party agrees with the role that Ayton should play.
Uh, he’s shooting 3s at a 29% clip this season. That’s dreadful. And 26% for his career. But he wants to shoot more of those. If ever there was a combination of statements and stats that spoke to the way deandre’s brain works, that’s it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly he suffers cause he stands around and is out of position constantly. If he rebounded and rolled towards the basket he’d be getting dunks and layups. Dude is just in lala land half the time it’s maddening!

Yeah I have zero doubt that whoever was starting at Center next would post similar averages. Jock, Biz, or even Wainwright would get 10 points on putbacks and gimmes around the basket.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This game was way closer than it should have been. That’s a concern. Hoping that the guys were just playing to the competition.

In terms of the Ayton discussion above? Should we really be surprised Ayton is passive? We have seen that trait way before the KD trade.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have zero doubt that whoever was starting at Center next would post similar averages. Jock, Biz, or even Wainwright would get 10 points on putbacks and gimmes around the basket.
IIRC there was a good stretch last season where most of the rest of the team was healthy but DA was out. We really did not miss a beat with McGee. Then he went down and we did not miss a beat with biyombo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC there was a good stretch last season where most of the rest of the team was healthy but DA was out. We really did not miss a beat with McGee. Then he went down and we did not miss a beat with biyombo.
Yeah we were 14-21 without him in his second season but it's been a complete reversal since then. I think we're 31-10 without him the past 3 seasons.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah we were 14-21 without him in his second season but it's been a complete reversal since then. I think we're 31-10 without him the past 3 seasons.
It's probably hard to include those games this season since I'm pretty sure most of the time we were also missing one or more other starters not to mention being without Crowder.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably hard to include those games this season since I'm pretty sure most of the time we were also missing one or more other starters not to mention being without Crowder.
Quite true.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose