Now where is the urgency?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Keim and Kingsbury are set for the next 6 years. Actually they are set for life, but I digress.

Suddenly “ all in “ isn’t imperative any more. Kyler will get his mega contract albeit a year too soon. It will probably further strain our cap situation which in turn will limit our free agency hunt.

SO WHAT? Don’t worry guys, we have 4 to 5 more years to get this right. The K- Boys feet are out of the fire.

Keims 2021 off season now is clear. Make a splash. Spend it all. JJ, Green, all in. To hell with 2022. Secure our future with a decent 2021 season and we’re golden.

HEy , we can’t go into 2022 with a lame duck coach and GM even though we don’t have the cap space to sign all the quality players and free agents we need to truly compete. That’s okay. We have security!

PR wise we’ll just bang the hell out of JJ Watt being in the building. We’ll bushwhack the fan base about any free agents we sign and convince them “ we’re not done yet” as we head into June. And hey, we got the draft to dazzle everyone a little more.

Call me the Prophet of Doom if you want. After 55 years of following this team I will no longer be bushwhacked anymore. Look around and see how the other quality NFL teams operate. I don’t see it here.

The holes, the cap space, the ineptitude of our draft and the brutal schedule all add up to a really bad season. It will be interesting to see the over/under for wins this season. Bet the under. I don’t care what it is.

But hey, don’t worry. We’ve got 5 more years to get this right.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I don't agree with this take at all. At first I was stunned and disappointed after hearing of the extensions for Keim and Kingsbury, but I soon began to look at the signings in a different light.

To me it shows that Bidwill is "all in." Committing long term to Keim and Kingsbury was a big financial investment and a big risk, but absolutely necessary to attract prime free agents.

I expect the Cardinals to be very aggressive in free agency, adding high level players at two of the four high need positions, wide receiver, interior offensive line, end rusher, or cornerback. In addition I expect the Cardinals to draft another 3-5 mid level free agents to build roster depth. It will require them to restructure contracts and use every bit of the 40 million in additional cap space that they can easily create.

We'll know in another 2 weeks when free agency begins. If I'm right the Cardinals will be a major player in the free agency market. Time will tell.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Before we can sign players (FA) we'll have to free up some Cap space. Cut players or restructure contracts. Isn't that how it works? Have faith, we almost made the playoffs, this past season.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with this take at all. At first I was stunned and disappointed after hearing of the extensions for Keim and Kingsbury, but I soon began to look at the signings in a different light.

To me it shows that Bidwill is "all in." Committing long term to Keim and Kingsbury was a big financial investment and a big risk, but absolutely necessary to attract prime free agents.

I expect the Cardinals to be very aggressive in free agency, adding high level players at two of the four high need positions, wide receiver, interior offensive line, end rusher, or cornerback. In addition I expect the Cardinals to draft another 3-5 mid level free agents to build roster depth. It will require them to restructure contracts and use every bit of the 40 million in additional cap space that they can easily create.

We'll know in another 2 weeks when free agency begins. If I'm right the Cardinals will be a major player in the free agency market. Time will tell.
I respect your opinion but Bidwill’s “ all in” is because he was backed into a corner and now this teams fate is sealed good our bad for the next 5 years.
I’m not sure what your definition of high level free agents are but I don’t see it. However, we are paying 16m for Watt who will be around for 8-9 games.
I hope you are right. However, whatever happens Keim, Kingsbury and Kyler’s urgency will not be based on “ must perform “ or else.
I’m not buying fools gold any longer.

Last edited:

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Hope springs eternal, but reality is a kick in the *******. I think I'll wear my cup just in case.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

You make it sound like restructuring is a simple thing. If they ask a guy like Pugh to restructure he would have to be an idiot not to ask for a good chunk of the restructuring to be guaranteed or else why would there be incentive for him to do so and if they cut him they just created another hole to fill. For every player you cut to create cap space is another hole you also create that now needs to be filled. It's like borrowing Peter to pay Paul, let's cut so and so to fill this spot and conveniently ignore the hole we just made.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You make it sound like restructuring is a simple thing. If they ask a guy like Pugh to restructure he would have to be an idiot not to ask for a good chunk of the restructuring to be guaranteed or else why would there be incentive for him to do so and if they cut him they just created another hole to fill. For every player you cut to create cap space is another hole you also create that now needs to be filled. It's like borrowing Peter to pay Paul, let's cut so and so to fill this spot and conveniently ignore the hole we just made.

There's a difference between a restructure, which usually involves some $ paid as an upfront bonus and a pay cut. In the Pugh case, it would be salary turned into bonus and void year(s) or an extension lowering his cap hit. Cuts, such as Hicks (Collins) and Kennard (Dimukeje) have replacements in place and can also be addressed with vet FA's or Draft picks. A new deal for Humphries, Pugh(?), moving a portion of Philips salary to a bonus and the cut of Isabella and the team could possibly go into the FA period with $25m+ and structure deals in a fashion that maximizes the number of new faces.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not me. I'm not phased by this stuff. It's all entertainment.
Agree 100%. I stopped losing my mind over this a while back. If we're good, it's great entertainment. Go Cardinals. If we suck, I just get excited to have a top 5 pick in the next draft. Love, love, love Draft Night.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
When you have followed this team for 50+ years you get numb to certain things and optimism is one of those things. Let's go back to 1970, the team is 7-2 and just finished the Cowboys in the infamous Monday Night game 38-0 and the defense at that point had shutout three teams in a row only to finish the season 1-3-1 and miss the playoffs.

1974 start the season 7-0 only to finish 3-4 and get crushed by the Vikings in the first round of the playoffs. 1975 start the season 2-2 then go 9-1 the rest of the way with the defense only allowing three teams to score 20 points or more (2 teams 20 and one team 23) during that run only to lose to the Rams in the playoffs.

1976 the Cardinals are the only NFC team to win ten games and not make the playoffs due to two close back to back losses to the Redskins and Cowboys by 5 and 6 points respectively losing out by having a worse divisional record than the Redskins. Then a series of poor to mediocre seasons until the move to AZ.

As you can see the reality of disappointment for us long time fans of the team was established many years ago therefore the sense of high expectations have been tempered over the years.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Entertainment was a gateway drug and I wish you luck in rehab. For me, a drag here, a puff there has been more than satisfying, no need to plumb the depths of spiralling despair. ;)
I’ve seen your posts. You’re in denial. You’re hooked and will be sucked deeper and deeper into the despair and addiction!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hell Slan, it took you 55 years to have finally said "ENOUGH"?

You must be registered for see images attach

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Extra 40 million? It only went up to $208 million so that would put us currently at $168 million & $32 million under the cap. I don't think that's right? Did I miss something lol?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When you have followed this team for 50+ years you get numb to certain things and optimism is one of those things. Let's go back to 1970, the team is 7-2 and just finished the Cowboys in the infamous Monday Night game 38-0 and the defense at that point had shutout three teams in a row only to finish the season 1-3-1 and miss the playoffs.

1974 start the season 7-0 only to finish 3-4 and get crushed by the Vikings in the first round of the playoffs. 1975 start the season 2-2 then go 9-1 the rest of the way with the defense only allowing three teams to score 20 points or more (2 teams 20 and one team 23) during that run only to lose to the Rams in the playoffs.

1976 the Cardinals are the only NFC team to win ten games and not make the playoffs due to two close back to back losses to the Redskins and Cowboys by 5 and 6 points respectively losing out by having a worse divisional record than the Redskins. Then a series of poor to mediocre seasons until the move to AZ.

As you can see the reality of disappointment for us long time fans of the team was established many years ago therefore the sense of high expectations have been tempered over the years.
Thanks for bringing back those bad memories from 76 till now lol.