Nobel Peace Prize Is Awarded to President Obama

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by arthurracoon, Oct 9, 2009.

1. arthurracoon

arthurracoon The Cardinal Smiles

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aHJwK9iL4ZAw

President Barack Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples,” the Nobel Committee said.

“The Nobel Committee has in particular looked at Obama’s vision and work toward a world without atomic weapons,” Thorbjoern Jagland, chairman of the five-member Nobel committee said in an interview broadcast on Norway’s TV2 today. “Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics.”

Obama, 48, the first black U.S. president, was elected last year on a platform of extracting the U.S. from the Iraq war while increasing focus on an eight-year conflict in Afghanistan. All U.S. forces are scheduled to be withdrawn from Iraq by 2011, after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion to topple Saddam Hussein.

Obama is the third sitting U.S. president to be awarded the prize, following Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 and Woodrow Wilson in 1919. Former President Jimmy Carter won in 2002.

“Multilateral diplomacy is again central, with emphasis on the role the United Nations and other international institutions should play,” Jagland said. “Dialogue and negotiations are the preferred method to solve even the most difficult international conflicts.”

The prize, along with other honors for literature, physics, medicine and chemistry, was created by Swedish industrialist Alfred Nobel in his will and first awarded in 1901. Finland’s Martti Ahtisaari won the peace prize last year and past laureates include Martin Luther King Jr. and groups such as the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Prizes for literature, chemistry, medicine and physics, are picked by the Stockholm-based Nobel Foundation.

2. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

WTH? I know the list was small, but how does the leader of a country that is involved in 2 major invasion/occupations qualify for a peace prize? This is going to be the next anti O'bama rallying point for his detractors. I am, literally, amazed by this rush to judgement. This could be his kiss of death for his one and done presidential career. If I believed in conspiracies, I would suggest the Pubs, had a hand in this. They will be able to beat on this one for the rest of his term.

I would be interested in seeing the other considerations on the list of more than 200.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  3. jefftheshark

jefftheshark Drive By Poster Contributor

Imagine what he will win if he actually does something.

JTS

4. conraddobler

conraddobler I want my 2$

In today's world, saying the right thing is rewarding.

Doing the right thing?

Eh.

5. CaptTurbo

CaptTurbo Registered

what the hell. Wow. This award is reserved for those like the Dali Llhama and Ghandi. Not the #1 man in the military involved in 2 wars and a global jihad against jihad.

6. Rats

Rats Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'

What the hell else can you say. WTF. I guess the man is the greatest salesman on the planet. Dogs and cats living together, Black is white....evil is good....the world is upside down. Did this really happen?

7. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

[​IMG]

8. Kolo

Kolo Registered User

This is good--and from an unabashed liberal, Richard Cohen of the Washington Post, no less--

9. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

He was nominated Feb, 2009. One month in office. That may go down as the greatest campaign in history. This has to be a narcissist's
    wet
    dream.

10. DWKB

DWKB Registered

Rather disappointed in that. Palin has a book out that she's "written". Why award her the Pulitzer Prize for Literature for meaning to read something when there is a better joke at hand.

Honestly I'd say it's a horse race between Palin's new book "Going Rouge: Another difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull" and Glenn Beck's new book "Painting with Poop".

11. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Good to see it's not just our country that has completely lost its' mind...

:bang:

12. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Here's the Official explanation

Nobel Committee Press Release on Obama Win

"The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

"Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

"For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that 'Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges.'"

13. DWKB

DWKB Registered

[​IMG]

YO, OBAMA, I'M GONNA LET YOU FINISH, BUT I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT GHANDI HAD ONE OF THE BEST YEARS OF PEACE OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME.

14. conraddobler

It actually makes sense give the globalist agenda of those who gave it, Obama is exactly what they're looking for, the quotation pretty much sums it up.

15. conraddobler

I tried not to smile but still did.:D