Nice to be young again

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Looks to me like we improved everything and traded none of the core players. I liked Skinner and Guricek but Lopez and Barnes are probably better.

Where did we improve and what did we lose?

.........IN......................................OUT

Terry Porter................................Mike D'Antoni
Igor Kokoskov..............................Phil Weber
Bill Cartwright..............................Dan D'Antoni
Dan Marjerle

Robin Lopez 20................................Brian Skinner 32
Matt Barnes 28...............................Gordan Giricek 31
Goran Dragic 22...............................Eric Piatkowski 37
Louis Amundson 25...........................Sean Marks 32

Same

Alvin Gentry

Steve Nash 34
Raja Bell 31
Grant Hill 35
Amare Stoudemire 25
Shaquille O'Neal 36

Boris Diaw 26
Leandro Barbosa 25
Alondo Tucker 24
DJ Strawberry 23

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=pho

Kerr's checklist:

Stubborn Coach........check
Nash's backup..........check
Shaq's backup..........check
Hill's backup.............check

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Giricek is still a free agent last time i checked. i'm surprised a team in need of some offense like the spurs or a team in need of a bench like the hornets hasn't tried for him. i certainly wouldn't mind him here, i loved the way he played for us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giricek is still a free agent last time i checked. i'm surprised a team in need of some offense like the spurs or a team in need of a bench like the hornets hasn't tried for him. i certainly wouldn't mind him here, i loved the way he played for us.

Giricek would certainly provide depth to the SG position at the veteran minimum. Then the Suns might want to trade LB for picks to save money if another team can absorb his salary.

I really like LB so I am torn. Also he might really fit Porter's system.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Signing Giricek would be great. Suns could have excellent defenders on 2 and 3 for 48 minutes every night- (Bell/Giricek/Hill/Barnes/Diaw) That would leave Barbosa with nothing to do though.

While I am not a Barbosa fan, I am interested in seeing what he can do playing alongside Dragic. Theoretically Dragic can guard a SG, allowing Barbosa to guard PGs while playing off the ball on the other end of the floor.

damo

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone else read Amare's age and get excited?
Then read Shaq's age?
But as for Barbosa, now there's the supposed defense and point guard play of Dragic, it should cover up for Barb's deficiencies and let him be the pure scorer he was born to be. For the price, you gotta keep him.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Signing Giricek would be great. Suns could have excellent defenders on 2 and 3 for 48 minutes every night- (Bell/Giricek/Hill/Barnes/Diaw) That would leave Barbosa with nothing to do though.

While I am not a Barbosa fan, I am interested in seeing what he can do playing alongside Dragic. Theoretically Dragic can guard a SG, allowing Barbosa to guard PGs while playing off the ball on the other end of the floor.

I'm not a fan of Barbosa either. I suggested to trade Barbosa for a good PG if we couldn't get Dragic. But Dragic's arrival did make it safer for Barbosa to stay. Now we have 1 true PG and 2 good defenders in second unit, so we can make use of Barbosa's shooting while live with his poor defence. Dragic + Barbosa + Barnes/Hill is a very good combination without obvious weakness. The only concern is Barbosa needs to play off the ball now, less dribble and drive, more catch & shoot. Hopefully not a big problem since he is an excellent shooter.

okhoops

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm not willing to write off Barbosa's ability to improve defensively. I'm question how cerebral a player he is, but he has physical attributes (quick feet, long arms...) that could make him effective. Players can learn to be better offensive players. Why not defensive? He has a coach that will make him more accountable, and players who can legitimately threaten his minutes now (nothing like competition for minutes to motivate a guy to focus on his deficiencies). Offensively, he demonstrates a fearlessness attacking to hoop. He seems competitive. Why can't he become a better year by year (month by month?)?

It a lot harder to find explosive offensive players. I say light a fire under his rear end and send him to work (or trade him to the Knicks for Jamal Crawford).

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Ideally Leandro will get teamed up with Dragic playing backup guys on the other team. It was always a problem having Leandro and Steve together because that meant two weak defenders at the same time. But having Leandro at PG took too much away in running the offense.

ASSUMING Dragic is the upgrade on running the offense they think, his defense will let Leandro do what he does best. He terrorizes defenders who can't get up on him to to stop his three point shooting because he'll blow right by them.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I want to see what Barbosa can do after leaving the D'Antoni cradle.
I(Porter)would tell 'em that he's gonna start,score, and play defense or sit.
Thats just me...:D

Last edited:

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score

Good plan, but not just for LB. I(Porter)would tell ALL the starters they're gonna start, score, and play defense or sit.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good plan, but not just for LB. I(Porter)would tell ALL the starters they're gonna start, score, and play defense or sit.
:thumbup:
I suppose i singled out Barbs because i feel he'd been coddled under D'Antoni's tenure to the point of zero consequence at times.
Bad shot selection,tunnel vision when running the offense and of course a complete lack of effort on defense.
IMO Barbosa can improve in these areas with a little discipline and at the same time being asked to shoulder more responsibility and show some leadership.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Technically if Robin Lopez is actually a starting center... how much more do we miss Marion to play on the small side of Amare. not to mention after this year we would have 20million freed up

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Technically if Robin Lopez is actually a starting center... how much more do we miss Marion to play on the small side of Amare. not to mention after this year we would have 20million freed up
well we have barnes now. he's about $15mil cheaper.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Porter knows better as he was brought in to improve the defense and starting LB in place of Raja would be a horrendous defensive decision. A Barbosa/nash backcourt would possibly be the worst defensive backcourt in the NBA. Porter isnt a genie, but he knows that good defense starts with good defenders and LB isnt even close.