NFL Player you Remember 1st Admiring as a Kid

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
How far back do you go, what player first caught your attention and respect when you were young, and what do you remember most about him?

I had players I could name before him, but by far the one I loved following as much as possible when the newspaper was the main form of information was Dallas Cowboyś Dandy Don Meredith. I could hardly wait for Monday morning on the bus going to school to open the sports page and read about how many and how long Meredith threw TDs were, especially to Bob Hayes.

Here is a fact I bet none of you knew: Meredith is credited with throwing the longest pass ever caught by a receiver with no yards gained following the catch. Think about this for a second: an 83 yard pass and catch. 83 freaking yards in the air!

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Steve Beuerlein, Aeneas Williams, Larry Centers, Lorenzo Lynch, Eric Swann, Gary Clark, Ken Harvey, Ricky Proehl, etc. I first really got into football with that 1993 team. They were better than their record IMO.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
John Matuszac... met the dude, became a Raider fan

Howie Long

Mark Gasteneau... dude was a beast

Marcus Allen...my all time favorite player

Dan Marino. dude had guts...out there hobbling around on 2 knee braces, and still stood strong to deliver a 50 yard bomb.

Sweetness... I was in boot camp in great lakes in 85... some of the Bears came up, and the cheer team did a song and dance...chorus line kinda thing...got to meet WP after that for a minute. Had no idea the guy was so nice... had to cut it short, one of the cheerleaders rubbed up on me a bit and, well...

Ronnie Lott. Damn.

Golden Joe Montana... still the goat IMO. The nfl didnt change any rules to make his life easy.

John Elway... hated that guy, hated to love that guy... I remember one time... dude almost got knocked out by his own lineman,... he was looking over the defense as he approached the line,...and reached up under his guard, lmao...dude reacted

LT... L mudda fuggin T... he werent no running back

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony Dorsett

Just how smooth he was. The Cardinals weren’t In AZ yet and we got every Cowboy game in TV

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Tony Dorsett

Just how smooth he was. The Cardinals weren’t In AZ yet and we got every Cowboy game in TV
Dude, I still remember seeing him take the handoff at the endzone, slamming into the pile, suddenly it parted,..and Dorsett streaks out for 99 yards...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Junior Seau

I was a huge Charger fan growing up and Seau gave it 100% on every play no matter the score. Budda kind of reminds me of how Seau used to play.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Walter Payton. I was born in 74 so he was in his prime when I started getting into football. I latched onto him and the Bears and stuck with them until the Cards moved here.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earl Campbell. He was unlike anything I have seen prior or since - the power and speed. Damn.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earl Campbell. He was unlike anything I have seen prior or since - the power and speed. Damn.

The shot that he took right in the mouth from Jack Tatum (nicknamed the ASSASSIN) but still scored still gives me goosebumps.