NFL accepting bids to host combine beginning in 2023

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The National Football League will open bidding to host the annual NFL Scouting Combine, sources have confirmed to News 8 Sports Director Anthony Calhoun.

Indianapolis has hosted the combine since 1987 and will continue to host the event through 2022.

The NFL’s decision to open bidding means a new city could be selected to host the event starting in 2023.

Phoenix and Cards Stadium at the end of February would certainly be a desired place to hold this!!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it makes sense to move these league events around

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it makes sense to move these league events around

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone know why is was ever exclusively Indy in the first place?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's be like hank hill for cowboys traing camp and make a advertisement video :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I would think the only criteria would be an indoor stadium.
IMO opinion the combine and the draft should be in non-nfl cities. Give those people...who are rabid football fans some exposure to the nfl. Nebraska, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arkansas, etc.

I always felt that too, and think one preseason game per team should be at a neutral venue--now with there being an odd number of preseason games it makes more sense.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I always felt that too, and think one preseason game per team should be at a neutral venue--now with there being an odd number of preseason games it makes more sense.

I think that would be awesome! I guarantee an NFL preseason game sells out in Boise!

Kellerfox

Reaction score
Anyone know why is was ever exclusively Indy in the first place?

When Indy was first selected decades ago, it was because of the density of quality sports-medicine facilities in proximity to the Stadium. There are 5-6 college campuses with athletic facilities within 5-10 miles. Additionally the Pacers facilities and Indy convention center are/were next door. The appeal of this density made the "back of house" logistics (medical exams with teams, interviews, private player prep, etc. very easy.

While at the time there probably was a handful of other cities that could offer similar "density" of the resources needed to put the combine on, I would argue today that there are dozens of major cities that fit that bill. Over the last 30 years, investment in high school athletics for example has brought many high school facilities to a level that exceeds college facilities from the 90s/00s.

Thinking of Phoenix for example - State Farm, Gila River, and GCU are a nice little cluster... Plus some of the new spring training venues out in Glendale/Surprise. Bet Phoenix can put together a pretty compelling bid.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have always thought the Cardinals and the Broncos should play preseason games in Albuquerque and Salt Lake City

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Indy is a perfect city for it. Everything is right there and in walking distance. The combine isn't a TV show, like the draft, that could be held anywhere. It's about giving these college kids the best surroundings/circumstances to make the league and get drafted. Like mentioned earlier, Indy has the perfect infrastructure for it with all the hotels, medical facilities, Lucas Oil, all within a 5 minute walk.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Indy is a good city for it.

I'm sure there is some level of economic thrust to the local community - but of there any interest/availability to the general public?

I could see having fun at the draft, but would be a stretch to want much of anything to do with the combine from what I've seen

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I also like the neutral field for the 3rd game

Probably won't happen as teams get a full regular season game worth of revenue out of the preseason

Would be good for growing the game and would actually draw fans that are excited to be there

Could utilize some of the CFL stadiums as well - Buffalo in Hamilton, Seattle in Vancouver, etc

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I also like the neutral field for the 3rd game

Probably won't happen as teams get a full regular season game worth of revenue out of the preseason

Would be good for growing the game and would actually draw fans that are excited to be there

Could utilize some of the CFL stadiums as well - Buffalo in Hamilton, Seattle in Vancouver, etc

An NFL preseason game would sell out Boise State Stadium in 5 min. The teams can still get a cut...but give some exposure. As much as I hate seatlle...if you had the Hawks and Broncos play a game up here, they would gain a lot of fans. It would be an awesome party. I would go for sure

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they would skip over the Cardinals stadium for the combine only because it's natural grass?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA