NFL 2012 Hall of fame finalists

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think Aeneas gets in? Tough competition, IMO.

---

Jerome Bettis – Running Back – 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers

Tim Brown – Wide Receiver/Kick Returner – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jack Butler* – Cornerback – 1951-59 Pittsburgh Steelers

Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

Dermontti Dawson – Center – 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers

Edward DeBartolo, Jr. – Owner – 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers

Chris Doleman – Defensive End/Linebacker – 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers

Kevin Greene – Linebacker/Defensive End – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers

Charles Haley – Defensive End/Linebacker – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys

Cortez Kennedy – Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks

Curtis Martin – Running Back – 1995-97 New England Patriots, 1998-2005 New York Jets

Bill Parcells – Coach – 1983-1990 New York Giants, 1993-96 New England Patriots, 1997-99 New York Jets, 2003-06 Dallas Cowboys

Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

Willie Roaf – Tackle – 1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs

Will Shields – Guard – 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs

Dick Stanfel* – Guard – 1952-55 Detroit Lions, 1956-58 Washington Redskins

Aeneas Williams – Cornerback/Safety – 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams

Linky

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
nope!

As great a player as Aeneas was he will get lost in the shuffle because of the team he played for & the greats still waiting entrance into the HOF. I say it will take another 5-7 years

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's a damn crime if he doesn't.
As has been posted many times before his stats compare well to and exceed some current HoFers.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
What is everyone's thoughts on Jerome Bettis?

When I looked at that list the names that jump out at me are:
Tim Brown
Cris Carter
Bill Parcells
Willie Roaf
Will Shields
Aeneas Williams

After looking at the numbers, Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin are very comparable. Curtis Martin had 10 straight years of being a really good running back. Jerome Bettis had more seasons but I think he had less overall yards.

The NFL hall of fame is tricky because in football numbers don't tell the whole story and over time the player who has had the better PR will be remembered as the better player. I really would not be surprised if Jerome Bettis gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. And I am not against Jerome Bettis, I would not be upset if he does eventually get inducted, I just think that there are more deserving players on the list above but I can definitely see him leapfrogging those guys because of his nickname and his current exposure on NFL network to the fans.

What do you guys think: Is Jerome Bettis Hall of Fame worthy? And if he is, does he deserve to be inducted during his first ballot?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

Tim Brown
Cris Carter
Bill Parcells
Willie Roaf
Will Shields
Aeneas Williams

After looking at the numbers, Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin are very comparable. Curtis Martin had 10 straight years of being a really good running back. Jerome Bettis had more seasons but I think he had less overall yards.

The NFL hall of fame is tricky because in football numbers don't tell the whole story and over time the player who has had the better PR will be remembered as the better player. I really would not be surprised if Jerome Bettis gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. And I am not against Jerome Bettis, I would not be upset if he does eventually get inducted, I just think that there are more deserving players on the list above but I can definitely see him leapfrogging those guys because of his nickname and his current exposure on NFL network to the fans.

What do you guys think: Is Jerome Bettis Hall of Fame worthy? And if he is, does he deserve to be inducted during his first ballot?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Tim Brown
Cris Carter
Bill Parcells
Willie Roaf
Will Shields
Aeneas Williams

I like the Bus, but he is in no way a first ballot hall of famer, and the ONLY reason he even has a ring is because the officials stole the lombardy from the hated seahags and gave it to the stealers!

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not sure how anyone can say Bettis doesn't deserve to be in, he's 6th in all-time rushing and was the anchor of their team for, what, 11 bone-crunching years, and that doesn't count another couple years with the Rams prior to that. That's not only a long career for any running back, but given the type of runner he was, it's phenomenal. We can't even keep Beanie healthy for a whole year, and I think all of us would be hard pressed to find another runner with that bruising mentality able to hold up over that period of time.

Having said that, my "fan" favorite is Cris Carter. What is it they used to say? All he does is catch touchdowns? Man had a bad attitude early in his career but turned it around and finished with one of the best set of hands I've ever seen. Only reason he's not already in is because he didn't win a SB.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
So, the class has to be at least 4 players, but less then 7 ?

In order of preference:

1. Chris Carter
2. Bill Parcells
3. Willie Roaf
4. Curtis Martin
5. Aneas Williams <-- best defensive player on that list, IMO.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

He is not a Hall of Fame running back.

I was struggling over whether Curtis Martin is HOF, worthy, so the Bus is not, IMO.