New TV deal in 2023

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The Amazon thing is pants-on-head stupid. Bars and other establishments don't have streaming/Amazon Prime services. Getting together with buddies to watch the game is half the fun, not sitting by yourself at your computer watching it at your desk.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Amazon thing is pants-on-head stupid. Bars and other establishments don't have streaming/Amazon Prime services. Getting together with buddies to watch the game is half the fun, not sitting by yourself at your computer watching it at your desk.

Most TVs are smart TVs and have Amazon loaded

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Um - you can watch prime on any tv made in the last 10 years. All it takes is a $25 stick.

You sound like a dinosaur.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Most TVs are smart TVs and have Amazon loaded
Um - you can watch prime on any tv made in the last 10 years. All it takes is a $25 stick.

You sound like a dinosaur.
Okay, smart TV or whatever (which yes, I own and know how to operate), still can't watch it at a bar with other people, and Amazon Prime is $119 a year. Not everyone is a subscriber, and now having to start to purchase the NFL piecemeal is going to get really annoying really fast.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals games are free to watch and broadcasted at the bars. I'm sure if bars are worried about patronage, they can purchase amazon prime.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay, smart TV or whatever (which yes, I own and know how to operate), still can't watch it at a bar with other people, and Amazon Prime is $119 a year. Not everyone is a subscriber, and now having to start to purchase the NFL piecemeal is going to get really annoying really fast.

Your right not everyone is a subscriber most people I know share their account with at least 2 or 3 other people.

You should get used to it, cable tv is nearly dead. Everything will be streaming - probably within 5 years or so.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Cardinals games are free to watch and broadcasted at the bars. I'm sure if bars are worried about patronage, they can purchase amazon prime.
I don't live in AZ, and even if I did, I'd like to watch more than the Cardinals anyways.

Most bars don't have receivers set up for online streaming, having worked in the industry. They have DirectTV setups that they pay a premium for all NFL games to. Most of these places aren't even set up to run an HDMI cord to the back of a TV to broadcast off of someone's laptop that has the service.

I don't mind Amazon being an alternative to NFL Network, but there should always be some form of actual TV broadcast for all NFL games.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Your right not everyone is a subscriber most people I know share their account with at least 2 or 3 other people.

You should get used to it, cable tv is nearly dead. Everything will be streaming - probably within 5 years or so.
I guarantee you that television will not be dead within 5 years or so. I work in marketing and know how the market is shifting, but it's going to be at least 20+ years until TV is dead. Streaming hasn't even overtaken it in saturation, and even when streaming does, TV will still live on for quite some time, just like print and radio are doing today.

There won't be meaningful change there until the Baby Boomer generation starts to die off, not to be morbid.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't live in AZ, and even if I did, I'd like to watch more than the Cardinals anyways.

Most bars don't have receivers set up for online streaming, having worked in the industry. They have DirectTV setups that they pay a premium for all NFL games to. Most of these places aren't even set up to run an HDMI cord to the back of a TV to broadcast off of someone's laptop that has the service.

I don't mind Amazon being an alternative to NFL Network, but there should always be some form of actual TV broadcast for all NFL games.

You don't need to run an hdmi cable, you just need wifi, and a fire stick. It takes 5 minutes to setup per TV. Pretty sure bars can figure it out.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guarantee you that television will not be dead within 5 years or so. I work in marketing and know how the market is shifting, but it's going to be at least 20+ years until TV is dead. Streaming hasn't even overtaken it in saturation, and even when streaming does, TV will still live on for quite some time, just like print and radio are doing today.

There won't be meaningful change there until the Baby Boomer generation starts to die off, not to be morbid.

Ok, yes it will still exist in 5 years in some form, but you will be a sucker to still be using it. Actually you are kind of a sucker if you are using it now.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TV isn't dying. But then again, I consider Amazon Prime as TV, since I watch it on my 10 year old TV.

And yes, the 10-year old TV has 4 different HDMI ports (I have Apple TV, Firestick, etc.

And, I bought it from a friend in Montana who's company sets up TV/Video systems for Restaurants and Bars - a Bar had ordered 10 TV's, but then closed, so I got it brand new at wholesale.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You don't need to run an hdmi cable, you just need wifi, and a fire stick. It takes 5 minutes to setup per TV. Pretty sure bars can figure it out.
You can't simulcast Amazon Prime content on more than 3 devices at once. So if you have a bar with 12 TVs, you need four Amazon Prime subscriptions, 12 fire sticks, and a network infrastructure that can handle 12 HD streams at once (doubt most bars have that). That's a messy setup that most bars will probably just eschew.

Ok, yes it will still exist in 5 years in some form, but you will be a sucker to still be using it. Actually you are kind of a sucker if you are using it now.
I actually cut the cord last year, but calling people a "sucker" for using it doesn't make a ton of sense. My streams are constantly struggling with the amount of strain we're putting on the network in the house, streaming services are constantly bumping up their prices (I went from $67.99/mo in November for Hulu + Live TV, Disney+, ESPN+ bundle to $78.99/mo beginning in 6 days), and they're wildly fractured so you're paying a ton for services.

With a TV service, you can watch whatever you want in any room of your house on however many TVs you own. Streaming services can't offer that.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Steaming from Prime will actually give a better picture since most cable boxes only get to 1080i and streaming services (like Prime) get to 1080p which is a cleaner crisper picture. I've been all streaming for the past 4 years, get everything I want and pay a fraction of the price, it's coming no matter what lol

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Steaming from Prime will actually give a better picture since most cable boxes only get to 1080i and streaming services (like Prime) get to 1080p which is a cleaner crisper picture. I've been all streaming for the past 4 years, get everything I want and pay a fraction of the price, it's coming no matter what lol
Still have to do it at home, mostly.

It's just a matter of people liking to watch games differently. I go out to the bar for games at least two times a week during football season, sometimes three, and this will put the kibosh on that.

No one in Vegas could find the 49ers-Cardinals game in any bar last season because it was only on Prime here. I ended up luckily knowing that one of my former employees streams eSports through Twitch on some of their TVs, so they had a setup we could watch at, otherwise we would have had to watch the game on a cellphone while ESPN played reruns of the 2000 Sydney Olympics at the bar.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose