New NFL rules for this year explained

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
The Cards did all preseason IIRC... I would much rather have the ball at the beginning of the second half especially if you are confident in your D...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alot of teams are choosing to defer but, I dont get it.

If I choose to defer my option to kick or recieve, who recieves now? if its me, can i recieve again? confused.....

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is more of you can choose kick, recieve or what goal to defend.

Reaction score
alot of teams are choosing to defer but, I dont get it.

If I choose to defer my option to kick or recieve, who recieves now? if its me, can i recieve again? confused.....
You are deferring your selection until the second half. Therefore, If you defer and the opposition chooses to kick to open the game (highly unlikely), you will receive the opening kick-off and you could still, if you so choose, receive the kick-off to begin the second half.

Reaction score
Reviewable plays: Instant replay will expand to include field-goal and extra-point attempts as well as illegal forward handoffs. This provides a mechanism for correcting an obvious onfield officiating error.

What is a illegal forward handoff?:mulli:

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You are deferring your selection until the second half. Therefore, If you defer and the opposition chooses to kick to open the game (highly unlikely), you will receive the opening kick-off and you could still, if you so choose, receive the kick-off to begin the second half.

Yeah, I don't get this. So as I understand it....hypothetically the Cardinals win the opening coin toss and defer their selection until the second half. Why on earth would the opposing team ever voluntarily kick off to start the game? Isn't defering to the second half almost like electing to receive the opening kick off?

Reaction score
Isn't defering to the second half almost like electing to receive the opening kick off?
By deferring you are most likely saying we will take the ball first in the second half; they get it to open the game. Not many, if any, teams are going to let the other team defer and then kick it to them to open the game. That would be like giving the opposition's offense two extra chances to score.