NFL league: year 2022-23

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Other players eat, drink, live, and die football, specifically great QBs. He doesn't. Will he get there, become great despite that? I hope so. Would I much rather him be a Brady type? Oh God, yes.
I don't think this is fair based on the evidence. I mean, Kyler chose a speculative football career over a sure-thing baseball career. He clearly spends every offseason working on his body, and (at least now) he's doing the work to get teammates out to his real home in Texas to do some work on the side.

Kyler isn't Jake Plummer or Ryan Leaf breaking the huddle with 1-2-3 Cancun in week 17 and only coming back when he's required to.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think this is fair based on the evidence. I mean, Kyler chose a speculative football career over a sure-thing baseball career. He clearly spends every offseason working on his body, and (at least now) he's doing the work to get teammates out to his real home in Texas to do some work on the side.

Kyler isn't Jake Plummer or Ryan Leaf breaking the huddle with 1-2-3 Cancun in week 17 and only coming back when he's required to.
Sure thing baseball career? From everything I’ve read he was drafted primarily on potential. And he was drafted #1 overall in the nfl. Was this meant to be tongue in cheek?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sure thing baseball career? From everything I’ve read he was drafted primarily on potential. And he was drafted #1 overall in the nfl. Was this meant to be tongue in cheek?
Yeah, but he had a first-round baseball contract in place. It was no sure thing he was gonna be drafted #1 overall into the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

When MLB and the A's met with Murray, MLB authorized the A's to give Murray a $14 million signing bonus which was larger than his draft position authorized, and the A's were guaranteeing a spot on their active roster his first season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, but he had a first-round baseball contract in place. It was no sure thing he was gonna be drafted #1 overall into the NFL.
But he didn’t have to forfeit the baseball contract just to enter the nfl draft, did he? And once he did and was drafted #1 that became a no-brainer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When MLB and the A's met with Murray, MLB authorized the A's to give Murray a $14 million signing bonus which was larger than his draft position authorized, and the A's were guaranteeing a spot on their active roster his first season.
I never saw the guarantee roster spot. Here’s a pretty good discussion of it:

Not a slam dunk mlb career by any means. Just a carrot that ended up being weaker than what he received from going #1 in the nfl.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
But he didn’t have to forfeit the baseball contract just to enter the nfl draft, did he? And once he did and was drafted #1 that became a no-brainer.
According to this, he only got the signing bonus paid.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You know this how?
You doubt this why?

I mean, we've been given countless examples, from excuses as to why he's not a film junkie to questions about his dedication because he only trains with daddy. It provokes boundless speculation. Not a single person would speculate about Tom Brady's work ethic. It speaks for itself.

That's not to say his approach can't work. Maybe it will. I hope so! I'm just stating my preference.

Reaction score
You doubt this why?

I mean, we've been given countless examples, from excuses as to why he's not a film junkie to questions about his dedication because he only trains with daddy. It provokes boundless speculation. Not a single person would speculate about Tom Brady's work ethic. It speaks for itself.

That's not to say his approach can't work. Maybe it will. I hope so! I'm just stating my preference.

I couldn't say for certain either way.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
"Justin Herbert says..." translates to "Justin Hebert has a better stable of media savvy handlers..." and nothing more. You guys will find just about anything to lament...
I think it is reasonable to lament that Herbert has outperformed Murray in one less year and wasn't taken number one.

I don't believe it is even debatable that Mahomes, Herbert, and Allen are all better QBs than Kyler Murray at this point in time. While it is ok, it is also a bit disappointing.

I do agree that there is little evidence to prove that Kyler doesn't take his career seriously. I think he does. That said, I do believe his biggest issues are self awareness and humility. I have made the Russell Westbrook comparison before and it popped into my head when he passed on speaking with the media this past week which Somers reported.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You will never convince me you actually believe he's an eat, sleep, drink, eat football type of player like Brady. Which doesn't mean he isn't serious about football.
Brady wasn't like that early in his career, by most reports.

Even then, while you hope your quarterback holds himself to the same standard as one of the most psychotically competitive players in NFL history, it's a really high bar to hold someone else to.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Brady wasn't like that early in his career, by most reports.

Even then, while you hope your quarterback holds himself to the same standard as one of the most psychotically competitive players in NFL history, it's a really high bar to hold someone else to.
The tough part is that based upon Kyler's size, the only successful comps are Brees and Russ who are both obsessively competitive in the Brady/Manning mold.

No 5'10 Roethlisbergers out there in NFL history.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen a lot of proof that Murray is pretty serious about football.
I dont know, nor does anyone on this board, the difference in offseason work between Kyler and other young QBs

We do know he does work -- but only through other parties. K1 posts very little video (if any) himself.

We only know he had offseason work with his receivers because someone like DHop posted a video, or that Hollywood told people. We have no idea what QB experts he works with --- or if he works with any.

I think part of this is K1 is a different guy. He is the anti-JJ Watt in terms of social media. JJ gives us full blast. Kyler gives us occasional peeks.

Is it possible that during last year he concluded he watched enough film to be successful -- wouldnt surprise me. But again, through 10 weeks or so, was he wrong? But the last 7 weeks also could have made him rethink that as well.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont know, nor does anyone on this board, the difference in offseason work between Kyler and other young QBs

We do know he does work -- but only through other parties. K1 posts very little video (if any) himself.

We only know he had offseason work with his receivers because someone like DHop posted a video, or that Hollywood told people. We have no idea what QB experts he works with --- or if he works with any.

I think part of this is K1 is a different guy. He is the anti-JJ Watt in terms of social media. JJ gives us full blast. Kyler gives us occasional peeks.

Is it possible that during last year he concluded he watched enough film to be successful -- wouldnt surprise me. But again, through 10 weeks or so, was he wrong? But the last 7 weeks also could have made him rethink that as well.
In the last 7 weeks, he could have watched film 16 hours/day & it wouldn't have mattered. When your OL can't pass block, when your RB's are injured, when your WR's without Hop cannot get open, and your D is pathetic against both the run & pass, then criticizing him for supposedly not watching enough film is kind of funny.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose