New coach Gannon is a shiny penny, but still a penny!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How true can this be when he didn't even know he was interviewing with the Cardinals until AFTER the Super Bowl? I don't buy that at all. I like the hire, but let's not start changing history about the hire either.
THIS! I'm in agreeance with you 100 unseenaz. Cards acting like he was their choice all along is BS to me. We lost out, mishandled the search AND interview process and were left scrambling. Especially because we hired Monti himself late.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
THIS! I'm in agreeance with you 100 unseenaz. Cards acting like he was their choice all along is BS to me. We lost out, mishandled the search AND interview process and were left scrambling. Especially because we hired Monti himself late.

Explain how the search was mishandled, and who beyond Payton did we lose out on?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I do not care for Payton the person but respect his results as a coach. As a fan I wanted him, but as a GM with probably only one shot at being successful, I would have not wanted him because it probably would have denied me from controlling my own destiny

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I do not care for Payton the person but respect his results as a coach. As a fan I wanted him, but as a GM with probably only one shot at being successful, I would have not wanted him because it probably would have denied me from controlling my own destiny
Ossenfort would've felt helpless because Payton calls the shots, he learned that from Parcells.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Ossenfort would've felt helpless because Payton calls the shots, he learned that from Parcells.
You may be right about what he might have learned under Parcells, that is something I am not sure of, but I can strictly say on my own behalf, any job of managing, I would not want another to decide my fate. Sort of reminds me when John Wayne was filming "The Alamo" as his directorial debut and his mentor the great John Ford showed up. Wayne wanted to sink or swim on his own, it was his own vision for better or worst, so the most difficult part of filming was finding jobs for Ford outside the walls of the set so he would not bud in on him lol

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You may be right about what he might have learned under Parcells, that is something I am not sure of, but I can strictly say on my own behalf, any job of managing, I would not want another to decide my fate. Sort of reminds me when John Wayne was filming "The Alamo" as his directorial debut and his mentor the great John Ford showed up. Wayne wanted to sink or swim on his own, it was his own vision for better or worst, so the most difficult part of filming was finding jobs for Ford outside the walls of the set so he would not bud in on him lol
What was the Parcells quote? "You can't cook the meal if you can't buy the groceries" or something like that?

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
Wow! We waited for a coach so we had to choose what was left after all other head coaching vacancies were filled. Why don’t we wait on our 3rd round pick and just choose last to make sure we think it through. Search far and wide kinda thing. I’m starting to see that the real issue with the organization is Bidwill. Another coach bro? Really! At least Bidwill is charging us season ticket holders for all his mistakes.
This is a real sh-t show. Even if you believe no one wants to coach Murray then you only have to ask yourself… Who extended him at insane money? All roads lead to Bidwill. Why are Eagles fans so happy to see him go?
LOL.... I posted something similar to this in another thread and recieved a lot of dislikes SMH... I kinda wear that as a badge of honor considering a large portion of this board thought Josh Rosen was the greatest thing to happen to the NFL since helmets lol.
I thought Eric Bieniemy for head coach for sure. Bidwill had to choose a coach much later IMO because some ( not alot ) of candidates did shy away from the job here. Not sure why but it does present some questions.. I'm still trying to figure oit why Keim was allowed to walk away rather than be fired. Definitely not the sign of a decisive owner. I stated in my other post that;. " I do hope that I am wrong " but, I'm questioning the hire... " I definitely hope to come back and eat crow in the future ", but we will see.

Last edited:

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
Wow! We waited for a coach so we had to choose what was left after all other head coaching vacancies were filled. Why don’t we wait on our 3rd round pick and just choose last to make sure we think it through. Search far and wide kinda thing. I’m starting to see that the real issue with the organization is Bidwill. Another coach bro? Really! At least Bidwill is charging us season ticket holders for all his mistakes.
This is a real sh-t show. Even if you believe no one wants to coach Murray then you only have to ask yourself… Who extended him at insane money? All roads lead to Bidwill. Why are Eagles fans so happy to see him go?

One last thing I would like to comment on you post about. There is an old saying that; " The apple doesn't fall far from the tree " in OTHER words. The issues with Murray didn't seem to pop up until it was time to pay him ( everyone knows Michael Bidwill's father (Bill) was very cheap ). When the Cards were 7-0 in 2021 Murray's study habits and attitude were not a problem. MICHAEL BIDWILL started the distractions in the locker room at the beginning of last season by demanding a study clause be put in Murray's contract ( IMO a bargaining tool and to keep other teams away from trying to get him. ). I agree with you that if Murray was that bad of a problem, why sign him for INSANE ! ! ! money. Truth to me, again IMHO it was just deflection away from the front office. Compared to Deshaun Watson, Aaron Rodgers, ect... Murray is meek and humble compared to some.

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Explain how the search was mishandled, and who beyond Payton did we lose out on?
The whole process was a crap show QC. It was just very janky. We had zero shot of getting Payton and someone should have recognized that. In retrospect "lose out" was a poor choice of descriptor on my part. Forgive me there. But Glenn and Ejiro, neither of them I believe were given a fair shot. Ryan's, what the hell was that? And Flores? Blantant dog and pony show. To be honest, I don't know that we even had viable candidates in mind after Payton was hired. Gannon feels like a "last carton of eggs" sort of signing to me. There was at least one "what are we doing?" post on this board every day and it was justified IMO. Just same ol Cards kinda crap. I mean personally for you, did you feel that this search was handled WELL? That we really did our due diligence? That Gannon truly was our guy all along?

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Gannon was one of Monti Ossenfort's top 3 desired coaches (from a list of 10-12) and he was not able to interview him until after the Super Bowl. I honestly don't think Payton was on his radar and would have been the owner's choice had he been traded for. I for one am glad to see that we hired a GM first and let him select his coach. Maybe a football guy is actually making football decisions for a change.
I read somewhere that the NFL is considering a rule that all coaching hires will happen after the Super Bowl.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The whole process was a crap show QC. It was just very janky. We had zero shot of getting Payton and someone should have recognized that. In retrospect "lose out" was a poor choice of descriptor on my part. Forgive me there. But Glenn and Ejiro, neither of them I believe were given a fair shot. Ryan's, what the hell was that? And Flores? Blantant dog and pony show. To be honest, I don't know that we even had viable candidates in mind after Payton was hired. Gannon feels like a "last carton of eggs" sort of signing to me. There was at least one "what are we doing?" post on this board every day and it was justified IMO. Just same ol Cards kinda crap. I mean personally for you, did you feel that this search was handled well? That we really did our due diligence? That Gannon truly was our guy all along?

I had no real issue with the process or time frame for hiring, first a GM and then a HC.

One shouldn't confuse due diligence with confusion or a 'crap show' simply because someone you know little about didn't get the job. Other than Payton and Reich, no other candidate seriously reviewed got a HC job. And in the end, there were good reasons for those two accepting the Denver and Carolina offers.

They conducted 10+ interviews and widdled it down to actual finalists. I think the final three were strong candidates.

As to Payton: he was MB's dream hire, I think, and given that he was competing against only one other interested party, he had a shot. And unless there is some evidence that Payton would have simply returned to the media had he not garnered the Denver job, then MB's hope was not ill-placed. Gannon was Monti's, held in reserve, gambit.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
The whole process was a crap show QC. It was just very janky. We had zero shot of getting Payton and someone should have recognized that. In retrospect "lose out" was a poor choice of descriptor on my part. Forgive me there. But Glenn and Ejiro, neither of them I believe were given a fair shot. Ryan's, what the hell was that? And Flores? Blantant dog and pony show. To be honest, I don't know that we even had viable candidates in mind after Payton was hired. Gannon feels like a "last carton of eggs" sort of signing to me. There was at least one "what are we doing?" post on this board every day and it was justified IMO. Just same ol Cards kinda crap. I mean personally for you, did you feel that this search was handled WELL? That we really did our due diligence? That Gannon truly was our guy all along?
There is a bust and a story for all these signings. It would be a thing of beauty to watch people eat crow for this hire and the staff assembled. This huge wave of coaching changes around the league likely won't go as planned. Wouldn't it be fun to watch SP do terribly in Denver.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I had no real issue with the process or time frame for hiring, first a GM and then a HC.

One shouldn't confuse due diligence with confusion or a 'crap show' simply because someone you know little about didn't get the job. Other than Payton and Reich, no other candidate seriously reviewed got a HC job. And in the end, there were good reasons for those two accepting the Denver and Carolina offers.

They conducted 10+ interviews and widdled it down to actual finalists. I think the final three were strong candidates.

As to Payton: he was MB's dream hire, I think, and given that he was competing against only one other interested party, he had a shot. And unless there is some evidence that Payton would have simply returned to the media had he not garnered the Denver job, then MB's hope was not ill-placed. Gannon was Monti's, held in reserve, gambit.
Fair enough but we're getting into semantics here. While you felt the process was done in good time, I never got the feel that we had a real plan. Even with Wilks' firing, I felt that we had a plan moving into signing Kingsbury (though we of course knew he was who the org wanted) Turned out to be the wrong move, but the search felt deliberate and based in research. You are correct in that I didn't know the book on EVERY candidate we considered, but I absolutely never felt comfortable with the manner in which we identified candidates. Don't get me started about vetting minority candidates or the running joke known as the "The Rooney Rule". That's a discussion for another time. At the end of the day, while I disagree wholeheartedly with Gannon as our choice, I have to get over it fast and get on board with Monti and Michael's plans to help him. Time will tell QC at the end of the day but nothing leading up to his signing gave me any feeling that we handled this the best way we could. Sorry if you disagree my brother...:thumbup:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is a bust and a story for all these signings. It would be a thing of beauty to watch people eat crow for this hire and the staff assembled. This huge wave of coaching changes around the league likely won't go as planned. Wouldn't it be fun to watch SP do terribly in Denver.
Absolutely! That would be beautiful for SP and the Broncs to fail! Make no mistake in that I want the BEST for JG. I will get over my feelings in about 2 weeks and be fully behind him and this new regime. I would have it no other way.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
Who did we “lose out” on?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fair enough but we're getting into semantics here. While you felt the process was done in good time, I never got the feel that we had a real plan. Even with Wilks' firing, I felt that we had a plan moving into signing Kingsbury (though we of course knew he was who the org wanted) Turned out to be the wrong move, but the search felt deliberate and based in research. You are correct in that I didn't know the book on EVERY candidate we considered, but I absolutely never felt comfortable with the manner in which we identified candidates. Don't get me started about vetting minority candidates or the running joke known as the "The Rooney Rule". That's a discussion for another time. At the end of the day, while I disagree wholeheartedly with Gannon as our choice, I have to get over it fast and get on board with Monti and Michael's plans to help him. Time will tell QC at the end of the day but nothing leading up to his signing gave me any feeling that we handled this the best way we could. Sorry if you disagree my brother...:thumbup:

Oh, feel free to disagree and doubt.

But, must say that, unlike you, I felt something desperate, haphazard and rushed in the hiring of KK, and in stark contrast a more deliberate and thoughtful approach to hiring Gannon.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's the same line of BS the organization always tries to sell after reaching for a hire or draft pick. They were always in the top 3 from the beginning. Lol
Playoff coaches were allowed to be interviewed prior to the superbowl or NFC championship game. Just like Ryans met with multiple teams prior to the NFC championship. If he was truly in the top 3, why wouldn't they have interviewed him earlier?

NFL people have been saying Gannon was high on the Cards list since the beginning. It's why rumours of them waiting until after the SB wouldn't go away.

I mean, they interviewed 12 guys, waited weeks then interviewed Gannon on Monday and hired him Tuesday. That has "We been waiting for this guy" written all over it.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh, feel free to disagree and doubt.

But, must say that, unlike you, I felt something desperate, haphazard and rushed in the hiring of KK, and in stark contrast a more deliberate and thoughtful approach to hiring Gannon.
Fair enough QC. Give me about 2 weeks. I will be Gannon's biggest cheerleader. LMAO!!!

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
We don’t know crap, blindfolded. trudging into an off-season Like we just left a tornado, nothing wrong here ma, ain’t it grand the wind quit blowing!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose