Netflix Releases Untold: Operation Flagrant Foul (Tim Donaghy)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know technically this is a TV topic but if you are a Suns fan or genral NBA fan? Prepare to be infuriated by this. It's available on Netflix now. Tim Donaghy tries to play off his role by reasoning that he didn't need the money. Also, makes the dubious claim that it didn't change how he refed the games. He just used his insider information to bet on games. The investigators say it's complete B.S. There are connections to illegal betting etc. It details all that went on during this time frame. It also talks about how they targeted "palming" against Iverson and number of other things.

No doubt he fixed games. No doubt the Suns were impacted. It's why many feel there is an * for that Spurs season. Honestly, it's infuriating to watch. This isn't a thread to discuss the TV show as much as to discuss what Suns fans think the impact was after watching it.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just shocked someone hasn't ended Donaghey or tried to assault him

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there is the entire leaving the bench issue but there was suspect calls all over the place and it's even mentioned that one of the Refs favored the Spurs. Interesting stuff.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way.....towards the end. *cough* Scott Foster *cough*.

Reaction score
I thought he made it clear there were favored teams (mostly big-market---which doesn't explain the Bucks) and non-favored teams. I HATE that comment that the league
thinks fans "want to watch the stars play, not sit." Then learn to play without cheating, palming, or traveling ya spudknuckles. Call the games fair, regardless of what MJ, or Magic, or LeBrewski does.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he made it clear there were favored teams (mostly big-market---which doesn't explain the Bucks) and non-favored teams. I HATE that comment that the league
thinks fans "want to watch the stars play, not sit." Then learn to play without cheating, palming, or traveling ya spudknuckles. Call the games fair, regardless of what MJ, or Magic, or LeBrewski does.

The Bucks have global appeal because of Giannis. They're kind of like the Rockets with Yao or Dallas with Dirk. Giannis has a big following outside of the US. I believe that plays a big factor in how they're viewed.

They're also in a favorable timezone for the league. They aren't on too late for the East Coasters but aren't on too early for the West Coasters either. Their central location helps similar to when Chicago was a dynasty. I think the league prefers when a team in that area is dominant because they can draw in audiences across the country better than elsewhere due to the timezone issues. It's difficult to follow the Heat if you live on the West Coast or to follow the Warriors if you live in the East.

The central teams like Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, and Indiana are all in a great location for the league because they have huge populations, are short distances from each other, and are accessible on tv from anywhere else.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bucks have global appeal because of Giannis. They're kind of like the Rockets with Yao or Dallas with Dirk. Giannis has a big following outside of the US. I believe that plays a big factor in how they're viewed.

They're also in a favorable timezone for the league. They aren't on too late for the East Coasters but aren't on too early for the West Coasters either. Their central location helps similar to when Chicago was a dynasty. I think the league prefers when a team in that area is dominant because they can draw in audiences across the country better than elsewhere due to the timezone issues. It's difficult to follow the Heat if you live on the West Coast or to follow the Warriors if you live in the East.

The central teams like Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, and Indiana are all in a great location for the league because they have huge populations, are short distances from each other, and are accessible on tv from anywhere else.
You're over thinking it.

NBA fans are attracted to star power, it doesn't really matter where the team is. I don't see any sign that being in the central time zone makes for more viewership. Most of those teams you listed have been trash for most of the last 20+ years. Detroit had a run in the mid 2000s, Milwaukee is having a spurt now but... I see now sign that the NBA favors them or that any of those teams are ratings favorites unless they're a huge contender. Cleveland is right in the middle of that area you mention and outside of the years LeBron was there their national ratings have been trash.

No one gave a crap about Golden State... then suddenly they were a monster and they become a darling, Cleveland was a darling while LeBron was there and then only, San Antonio won 5 titles and now the average fan wouldn't take a bribe to watch them.

Unless you follow a local team, most North American fans are bandwagon fans, they follow the current flavor, it doesn't seem to matter where they play... be it Golden State (Oakland), Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Dallas or New England.

I honestly think the only factor geography plays is a franchise's ability to retain and attract talent, the players actually have to live there.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You're over thinking it.

NBA fans are attracted to star power, it doesn't really matter where the team is. I don't see any sign that being in the central time zone makes for more viewership. Most of those teams you listed have been trash for most of the last 20+ years. Detroit had a run in the mid 2000s, Milwaukee is having a spurt now but... I see now sign that the NBA favors them or that any of those teams are ratings favorites unless they're a huge contender. Cleveland is right in the middle of that area you mention and outside of the years LeBron was there their national ratings have been trash.

No one gave a crap about Golden State... then suddenly they were a monster and they become a darling, Cleveland was a darling while LeBron was there and then only, San Antonio won 5 titles and now the average fan wouldn't take a bribe to watch them.

Unless you follow a local team, most North American fans are bandwagon fans, they follow the current flavor, it doesn't seem to matter where they play... be it Golden State (Oakland), Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Dallas or New England.

I honestly think the only factor geography plays is a franchise's ability to retain and attract talent, the players actually have to live there.
I don't even think it's that much of a factor anymore. Guys like Chris Paul and LeBron live where they want, and spend as minimal a time in their home market as possible.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA