NCAA Tournament

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor Aubrey Dawkins, game of his life but all he's going to remember is missing the dunk, allowing Barrett to get the putback and then missing the tip. And yes Zion committed a charge, and yes Barrett pushed Dawkins but that was too weak of a blockout by Dawkins if he's blocking out stronger, the push has a much better chance of being called.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to give it to Johnny Dawkins, I thought he was mediocre at best at Stanford as coach but he nearly won the game today with strategy. They played Fall in a one man zone arguably guarding Tre Jones who kept missing and allowed UCF to get all the way back. And time after time they ran plays out of timeouts or inbounds that got good looks.

He took Duke to the wire. admittedly Fall is a unique kid that allows you to do that he changes so many shots it allowed them to defend differently. also have to admit Coach K did a good job, by playing Jones and Goldwire together they really pressured UCF and rattled them quite a bit.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The referees did not call the offensive foul on Zion.
Barrett pushed off to get that put back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't stand Duke but neither of those plays were even close to being a foul.

Zion never extended his arm, the dude just threw himself backwards as soon as Zion dipped his upper body, it was a pure flop.

And Barrett, I don't see how that's a push off, at least in any meaningful way. His defender made no effort to box out, he jumped too early and the ball didn't come down for him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the very least, he's a priority Summer League invite. I think someone takes a shot on him in the 2nd round.

I really doubt it. Admirable effort by him today, but he's a 4 year guy who didn't develop in any meaningful way.

He has virtually no chance of making an NBA roster so it's far more likely that right after the draft he heads to Europe.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really doubt it. Admirable effort by him today, but he's a 4 year guy who didn't develop in any meaningful way.

He has virtually no chance of making an NBA roster so it's far more likely that right after the draft he heads to Europe.

You may be right; he's certainly no lock.

But if I'm running an NBA franchise, I'm intrigued with him as an end-of-bench guy. He can potentially give your coach a change-of-pace option for a few minutes in select games that has a real impact. That's more than you get from most third-stringers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zion never extended his arm, the dude just threw himself backwards as soon as Zion dipped his upper body, it was a pure flop.

As I saw it, Zion went through through the body of the player who had defensive position... he just went through him.

Polecat

Reaction score
I believe the NCAA adopted the rule that a player can not draw a charge if he is inside the 3 foot circle under the basket.
The replay shows Tacko Fall had one foot way inside that circle.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a replay of the final seven minutes of the Duke vs. UCF game for those who missed it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The play I was talking about occurred at about the 2:40 mark.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I saw it, Zion went through through the body of the player who had defensive position... he just went through him.
Tacko was inside the semi-circle. The charging foul cannot be called by rule.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tacko was inside the semi-circle. The charging foul cannot be called by rule.

My reference was Zion driving through B.J. Taylor (#1) which I thought was an offensive foul.

It occurred at about the 2:34 mark.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My reference was Zion driving through B.J. Taylor (#1) which I thought was an offensive foul.

It occurred at about the 2:34 mark.
Nah. He was sliding, and the contact was really incidental, he just flopped or lost his footing. I think that was a good no call.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There was hardly any contact, both players were moving their feet and Zion didn’t push off. And when you look at the way the defender propels himself backwards on his butt, it’s a classic flop, begging for a call because he lost his defensive positioning.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. He was sliding, and the contact was really incidental, he just flopped or lost his footing. I think that was a good no call.

There was hardly any contact, both players were moving their feet and Zion didn’t push off. And when you look at the way the defender propels himself backwards on his butt, it’s a classic flop, begging for a call because he lost his defensive positioning.

Agree to disagree but the referees were probably not going to make any close calls at this point in the game.

The defender did not flop. It was created by contact. An offensive player cannot simply go through a defender who has good defensive position when they have their shoulders square.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree to disagree but the referees were probably not going to make any close calls at this point in the game.

The defender did not flop. It was created by contact. An offensive player cannot simply go through a defender who has good defensive position when they have their shoulders square.
I keep watching it over and over to try to see what you see and I just can't. The defender slides, throws his head back in an exaggerated way and then falls backward to the floor. there was contact, but it looks fairly incidental. It looks like classic flop to me. And I don't really care which way the call goes, I have no skin in that game. I guess we just see different things when we watch it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I just don't know how that isn't a flop, there was hardly any contact and Zion hadn't even turned toward the hoop, the defender wasn't even squared up in the direction Zion was moving, they were running parallel and the defender sold out hoping for a call, Zion didn't turn towards the hoop until after the flop cleared his path. IMO, that should never be a foul no matter what point in the game.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like Duke and I think they often get a lot of calls they shouldn't but I didn't see that happening yesterday. UCF had a lot of self inflicted wounds in the final few minutes. They had a guy leave his feet off a screen and proceed to throw up a joke of a shot (I think he didn't expect to be open), they blew an easy fast break by trying an ally oop that would have had them up 6 late, the lack of boxing out on the putback...

And despite all that, they still had 2 good looks to win in the final seconds that just didn't fall.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tacko Fall has an impact on the game just because of that sheer size. But he is about as unathletic a player as I have ever seen at this level.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave