NCAA fines James Wiseman $11,500

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On top of suspending him for a dozen games or so.

I'm not a big fan of college hoops, but I think this is hypocritical garbage from the NCAA. If the kid's family needed money from Penny Hardaway to move a few years ago, where's he supposed to get that money, now?

It almost feels like they're setting him up to be suspended again. "Oh, you took that 11.5K from an agent. You're suspended again."

Kid should honestly just sign with a sneaker company and start preparing for the draft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On top of suspending him for a dozen games or so.

I'm not a big fan of college hoops, but I think this is hypocritical garbage from the NCAA. If the kid's family needed money from Penny Hardaway to move a few years ago, where's he supposed to get that money, now?

It almost feels like they're setting him up to be suspended again. "Oh, you took that 11.5K from an agent. You're suspended again."

Kid should honestly just sign with a sneaker company and start preparing for the draft.

I've been saying that for years what I think is odd here is they apparently changed the rule. Kansas had a guard a few years back, blanking on the name, he got caught in something and had to repay the money. The NCAA allowed him to repay it over time and allowed him to pay it back even after he left Kansas. This time ESPN says Wiseman has to pay it back before his last regular season game. As to how, the Kansas kid used scholarship money, their claim was he had money left over from every payout and he used that, his was less than 11,500.

As for did the family need money that's where we just don't know, they moved because he wanted to play for Penny Hardaway in HS, he was already on his AAU team. It was a basketball related move and honestly in California he would have been declared ineligible in HS just because he moved for sports reasons. Tenn apparently has different rules. So they are probably not wealthy, but they may not be poor either they may have simply taken the money because Penny offered it I really don't know.

I feel somewhat vindicated here my take all along is Memphis is stupid, just admit it, take the penalty and pay the money back while he sits out 9 games, now he'll get 15. He actually got only 12, 9 for the money, and 3 for the 3 games they played him while ineligible. I assume the NCAA will make them forfeit those 3 games too but I haven't seen that actually spelled out yet.

But If they do it means they lost 3 games and he misses 3 extra games because they chose to play him. They should have just sat him out and appealed. Now they're going to be appealing but why would the NCAA be lenient they already played him when ineligible and sued the NCAA, I seriously doubt they're going to win the appeal.

I'm glad the kid will play, I wish if anything it was Penny that got in trouble he's the one that did it. I don't for a second buy the he's not really a booster and he wasn't the coach nonsense. He was a former player that alone makes it against the rules for him to be involved in recruiting and you can't expect me to believe that him being linked to the #1 HS player in the country didn't play a large role in Memphis hiring him. I believe he wanted the job, already knew the kid and decided I can move the family, it'll get the Memphis job for me, so why not do it. I would like to see him get fined or something, lose a scholarship, some sort of penalty but I think the NCAA thinks they can't because he wasn't a college coach when this happened.

And I hope next year the Warriors win the draft lottery and get Wiseman or Cole Anthony!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remembered Josh Selby was the Kansas kid

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I guess there was no harm in appealing but I never thought they had a chance. Again the minute they ignored him being ruled ineligible and played him, 3 times, they gave up any chance the NCAA would be nice.

I still havent' seen an announcement if the NCAA is going to forfeit the 3 games he played in, I assume they will

OP
OP
Dan H

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wiseman leaves school and declares for the draft. Guess the NCAA can sit and spin on their fine.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wiseman leaves school and declares for the draft. Guess the NCAA can sit and spin on their fine.

It wasn't a fine they told him he had to repay the money Penny gave him and donate it to a charity.

He was eligible to return on Jan 12, just over 3 weeks and he would have been eligible to play again. He chose to declare for the draft because people around him persuaded him it made no sense to risk injury in a shortened college season out of loyalty to Penny Hardaway.

I don't dislike the kid at all, hell he's on the short list I hope the Warriors pick, but IMO he has no case, he HAD a case arguing the NCAA shouldn't have originally cleared him except that was because they didn't have all the info from Wiseman and Penny, once they ignored that and played him, they had no case.

OP
OP
Dan H

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Still think it’s beyond the pale asking a teenage college student to come up with 11 grand within 60 days. Still a fine regardless of where the money went.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I completely missed this. Apparently Wiseman and Penny has some issues.

Memphis with Wiseman would’ve been one if the elite teams defensively.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still think it’s beyond the pale asking a teenage college student to come up with 11 grand within 60 days. Still a fine regardless of where the money went.

Sure but that's the point the money was paying back money Penny gave the family that's against amateurism rules. If you just say ok the kid can't afford to pay it back so we let it go, then you might as well not have the rule. I wouldn't totally be opposed to that btw, but the rules are there. One of the arguments in his case made by defenders was Penny didn't buy the kid he just helped the family move, if they didn't have the money to move, why did they move? The kid was already one of the top rated kids in his class so you can't argue they had to move in order for him to get exposure, better coaching etc. if the move was made for academic reasons then you have to make the argument lots of people would love to put their kids in "better" schools but can't afford it either.

I guess my main point is I don't buy for a minute this was accidental. Penny coached the kid in AAU, Penny had a HS job and was "angling" to get the Memphis job if/when it opened up. It was widely reported he was a top candidate and one of the reasons why was his AAU and HS teams were stacked with elite prospects. I think it's obvious why it happened, he wanted to have more control of the kid so he paid to move him so he would be both his AAU coach and his HS coach, that in turn helped him get the Memphis job.

It's almost like Penny sat down one day, watched Blue Chips, and said hey that's a great idea.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson