NBA may change draft eligibility in 2021.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That 2021 Miami pick should not be moved unless they're 100% sure they're adding a quality player, or as sure as one could be while selecting prospects in the draft. Even the Milwaukee pick's value may increase since it will be unprotected in 2021 if it hasn't conveyed yet.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe we should just trade 16 for a someones 2021 pick.

However, the NBA just made one of our trade pieces a lot more valuable.

That 2021 pick evens out a lot of trade scenarios now.

Miami pick (unprotected lotto pick in a potentially huge draft), Milwaukee pick, and #16 for #4 and Parsons? To me, this looks pretty even, but I consider Parsons a huge negative value.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know this would have likely changed other things, and I know it's rude to continue to bring this up after so many years of sadness...

But imagine if we hadn't traded the Lakers pick for Brandon Knight, and we had the 10th pick in this draft AND an extra $14.6 million of cap room to go with all of the other assets.

:thud:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know this would have likely changed other things, and I know it's rude to continue to bring this up after so many years of sadness...

But imagine if we hadn't traded the Lakers pick for Brandon Knight, and we had the 10th pick in this draft AND an extra $14.6 million of cap room to go with all of the other assets.

Nah. We would not have that money. If we did not have Brandon Knight, I think Eric Bledsoe would still be on the team eating up that cap space. What if scenarios are full of too many variables.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe we should just trade 16 for a someones 2021 pick.

However, the NBA just made one of our trade pieces a lot more valuable.

That 2021 pick evens out a lot of trade scenarios now.

Miami pick (unprotected lotto pick in a potentially huge draft), Milwaukee pick, and #16 for #4 and Parsons? To me, this looks pretty even, but I consider Parsons a huge negative value.
That’s why I think that’s an overpay. Parsons contract lessens the value of the 4 pick. That’s why I think Warren, 16, 31, and Milwaukee.

Think about it this way, what would memo his have to give up to just get rid of parsons with no assets coming back? Likely a mid-1st Rounder and maybe two. So essentially they would get the equivalent of Warren, 4 mid-1st rounders and the 31. That’s a haul for one admittedly valuable 4th pick in the draft.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s why I think that’s an overpay. Parsons contract lessens the value of the 4 pick. That’s why I think Warren, 16, 31, and Milwaukee.

Think about it this way, what would memo his have to give up to just get rid of parsons with no assets coming back? Likely a mid-1st Rounder and maybe two. So essentially they would get the equivalent of Warren, 4 mid-1st rounders and the 31. That’s a haul for one admittedly valuable 4th pick in the draft.

I was trying to avoid the ridicule of Cheesey. I would agree with you on this. To think about it this way, you are also trading the free agent you could have signed with that cap space.

I would think we would send some salary though. Maybe Chandler or Duds.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think something else would have happened so it's hard to know if this scenario would have held true.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If there is one thing Knight has done it's help us lose. I doubt we'd have Jackson and the #1 pick this year if we didn't have Knight on board. I know he didn't play last year but that in itself contributed to our tank.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was hoping this would be that kids had to wait until after their sophomore season....
While i agree with you for a betterment of the nba and NCAA perspective, the fact this occurs in a year in which we have two, maybe three unprotected draft picks can’t be better timing for the suns. Now we just have to hope the heat have bottomed out by then and Giannis is fed up and demands a trade and the Bucks stink by then.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23804458/memo-states-nba-draft-eligibility-shift-21

If they did change the rule in 2021, most likely simply ditching the 1 and done, it would make our Miami pick potentially much more valuable. That 2021 draft class would be loaded with the best high school players from both 2020 and 2021.

I like how that article mentions only 3 teams have traded away their 2021 pick and 2 of those picks could convey before that draft. The Suns own the Bucks pick, which is one of the picks listed, and of course the Heat pick. So they own 2 of the 3 picks that may change hands for that draft as of right now. The Celtics are the other team mentioned since they own the Grizzlies pick with protection in 2019 and 2020 which may push it back to 2021 like our Bucks pick. We're in too good of a spot for the league to make that change. It would be great if they did but knowing the Suns stand to benefit the most raises some concern that it won't happen. Who knows though, maybe our luck has finally changed and we'll get that lucky in the future.

Errntknght

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23804458/memo-states-nba-draft-eligibility-shift-21

If they did change the rule in 2021, most likely simply ditching the 1 and done, it would make our Miami pick potentially much more valuable. That 2021 draft class would be loaded with the best high school players from both 2020 and 2021.

I don't see how it will work like that. The year it begins, we will not be able to draft the players that just finished their freshman year, but the year before we drafted the best of the freshman class, so that first season will be a particularly weak draft class. in subsequent years it will return to normal, except we'll be drafting primarily out of the sophomore class.
The only way there'd be a bonanza is if they switched back to one and done some time later. One effect of removing one and done drafts could be to cause players to take alternative pathways, which allowed them to reach the NBA one year after graduating high school. Via the G league, perhaps.

Sorry guys.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't see how it will work like that. The year it begins, we will not be able to draft the players that just finished their freshman year, but the year before we drafted the best of the freshman class, so that first season will be a particularly weak draft class. in subsequent years it will return to normal, except we'll be drafting primarily out of the sophomore class.
The only way there'd be a bonanza is if they switched back to one and done some time later. One effect of removing one and done drafts could be to cause players to take alternative pathways, which allowed them to reach the NBA one year after graduating high school. Via the G league, perhaps.

Sorry guys.
Uh how do you figure??? If the draft for 2021 allows players in a year earlier then it doubles up the players who will first be eligible for the draft.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sorry guys.
EK. Did you read the article? There is no mention at all of requiring two years of college play. It is all about eliminating college requirements altogether. The article even says that there will likely be a super class at the beginning and specifically mentions the Suns as the only team having traded for an unprotected pick in that year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how that article mentions only 3 teams have traded away their 2021 pick and 2 of those picks could convey before that draft. The Suns own the Bucks pick, which is one of the picks listed, and of course the Heat pick. So they own 2 of the 3 picks that may change hands for that draft as of right now. The Celtics are the other team mentioned since they own the Grizzlies pick with protection in 2019 and 2020 which may push it back to 2021 like our Bucks pick. We're in too good of a spot for the league to make that change. It would be great if they did but knowing the Suns stand to benefit the most raises some concern that it won't happen. Who knows though, maybe our luck has finally changed and we'll get that lucky in the future.

Hopefully the Suns luck has changed. Winning the draft lottery was so unlike what usually happens to them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sorry guys.

I think you misunderstood. In 2021 the draft could potentially have all of the normal prospects, the typical 1 and done players, as well as including the high school players who would prefer to join the NBA immediately rather than going to college for 1 year before they enter the draft or league. So that first draft would be loaded with talent. Of course when drafting high school players there are only a handful ready for the NBA right away but that handful being added another draft class would make things much deeper than normal. It would almost be like adding two classes together, especially at the top of the draft.

It would be like if this year's draft added all of the players entering college next year as freshmans. Allowing those players to be drafted with Ayton, Bagley, Young, etc. That would add guys like Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, and Nazreon Reid to the pool, making it much deeper. It would deplete the talent in the following draft but that doesn't matter to us because we could have 3 high picks that year, with the Miami pick being unprotected and the Bucks pick going unprotected if it hadn't conveyed yet. Of course we also have our own pick as well, since we owe no picks to anyone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood. In 2021 the draft could potentially have all of the normal prospects, the typical 1 and done players, as well as including the high school players who would prefer to join the NBA immediately rather than going to college for 1 year before they enter the draft or league. So that first draft would be loaded with talent. Of course when drafting high school players there are only a handful ready for the NBA right away but that handful being added another draft class would make things much deeper than normal. It would almost be like adding two classes together, especially at the top of the draft.

It would be like if this year's draft added all of the players entering college next year as freshmans. Allowing those players to be drafted with Ayton, Bagley, Young, etc. That would add guys like Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, and Nazreon Reid to the pool, making it much deeper. It would deplete the talent in the following draft but that doesn't matter to us because we could have 3 high picks that year, with the Miami pick being unprotected and the Bucks pick going unprotected if it hadn't conveyed yet. Of course we also have our own pick as well, since we owe no picks to anyone.

If it happens, the Suns might want to collect some second round picks in this draft as well because it will be deep.

Errntknght

Reaction score
EK. Did you read the article? There is no mention at all of requiring two years of college play. It is all about eliminating college requirements altogether. The article even says that there will likely be a super class at the beginning and specifically mentions the Suns as the only team having traded for an unprotected pick in that year.

I must not have read the article. Maybe somebody said getting rid of one and done and I leapt to the wrong conclusion - that they meant two and done

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe you saw 21 and thought that would be the new age requirement? I know that was my first thought as well. I'm not for or against the age limit, I don't think it's helped as much as the NBA would have liked. It definitely hasn't shown enough improvement that the league would be able to talk the players union into changing it and restricting more young players from joining the NBA.