NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since picks can't be traded in consecutive years, this would mean we'd be trading the rights to our draft for the next 7 years.

I can see a package like this for a star in their 20's, but for a 33 year old Durant (turns 34 in september), I say hell no. He could be long retired, to say nothing of declining, and we'd still be handing over first rounders.

I do it in a heartbeat. If I have to gamble on potentially 3-4 years of suck to be in Championship mode for 3-4 years it is a done deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since picks can't be traded in consecutive years, this would mean we'd be trading the rights to our draft for the next 7 years.

I can see a package like this for a star in their 20's, but for a 33 year old Durant (turns 34 in september), I say hell no. He could be long retired, to say nothing of declining, and we'd still be handing over first rounders.

No doubt the Suns are going for it now and will worry about the consequences later but how often do these opportunities present itself.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The swaps might be a killer though. Anyway, gotta throw for the touchdown inside the 20 yard line.
If the Suns are a solid playoff for the first few years of that trade it shouldn't. None of those picks will be high enough to make much of a difference IMO. It's the last few years of those picks that could.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

If we win one championship, just ONE, then it absolutely is worth it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we win one championship, just ONE, then it absolutely is worth it.
So this. I don't want to be one of the most winning franchises in all of sports without a title any longer. Screw that. Even one title would be worth it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do it in a heartbeat. If I have to gamble on potentially 3-4 years of suck to be in Championship mode for 3-4 years it is a done deal.
Yup. Especially because it looks like if this doesn’t go down, we’re reading Ayton for Pennie’s on the dollar, which means we’re not even contending the next couple seasons either before sliding down to limbo 30-40 win hell after that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t say the Kings aren’t active:
-
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
All these playoffs teams being so active is frustrating while we sit here waiting.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's essentially the CP trade (cp age 35 at time of trade, durant will be 34 in september), only this time we'd be giving up our future draft rights for the better part of a decade.

This is an all-in move. We will not be able to put together a significant trade package for a player after this for years to come. If this does not work out, we will not be able to recoup much, if any, of our draft capital. We will be stuck.

The age of the players that we will be depending upon, and the draft capital we will be giving up, pings uncomfortably similar to the Nets trading for Paul pierce and Kevin garnett from the Celtics in 2013. Pierce and Garnett were age 33 and 35, respectively, at the time of the trade. That trade was a disaster for the Nets. We would be giving up even more draft capital in this trade than the Nets did.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's essentially the CP trade (cp age 35 at time of trade, durant will be 34 in september), only this time we'd be giving up our future draft rights for the better part of a decade.

This is an all-in move. We will not be able to put together a significant trade package for a player after this for years to come. If this does not work out, we will not be able to recoup much, if any, of our draft capital. We will be stuck.

The age of the players that we will be depending upon, and the draft capital we will be giving up, pings uncomfortably similar to the Nets trading for Paul pierce and Kevin garnett from the Celtics in 2013. Pierce and Garnett were age 33 and 35, respectively, at the time of the trade. That trade was a disaster for the Nets.
Again, the high chance for a championship dwarfs the rest of that.

I'm tired of being a 50 win team without a ring. Aren't you??

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Wow… Boston is loaded. Adding Gallo and Brogdon to their team gives them two really solid bench weapons and creators.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The age of the players that we will be depending upon, and the draft capital we will be giving up, pings uncomfortably similar to the Nets trading for Paul pierce and Kevin garnett from the Celtics in 2013. Pierce and Garnett were age 33 and 35, respectively, at the time of the trade. That trade was a disaster for the Nets. We would be giving up even more draft capital in this trade than the Nets did.
Pierce wasn’t anywhere close to his prime averaging a career low 18.6 ppg and KG’s knees were completely shot.

KD is still playing at an MVP level and probably will for another two seasons.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah,
Was just reading that gp contract if
Matched would’ve been 3 years 135 million with taxes that’s why they elected to not sign him
for every million it’s multiplied by five for repeater tax crazy

SF gate seems to be disputing this but I don't think the author is right. He's saying because the Warriors have Payton's Bird rights they could have paid him 10.8 per year and topped Portland but the luxury tax would have factored in. But I don't think the author grasps it's a 5X multiplier, he seems to be thinking they just pay a few million more and that's it.

He wrote an article criticizing them for letting GP2 walk, the author is Eric Ting

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SF gate seems to be disputing this but I don't think the author is right. He's saying because the Warriors have Payton's Bird rights they could have paid him 10.8 per year and topped Portland but the luxury tax would have factored in. But I don't think the author grasps it's a 5X multiplier, he seems to be thinking they just pay a few million more and that's it.

He wrote an article criticizing them for letting GP2 walk, the author is Eric Ting
ANd they lost Otto to Toronto but that was a given they offered him the vet minimum they knew they couldn't afford to keep him given his injury history.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Again, the high chance for a championship dwarfs the rest of that.

I'm tired of being a 50 win team without a ring. Aren't you??
Of course I'm tired of it, but I still believe in responsible risk/reward analysis.

What does your high chance for a championship mean? How high of a chance? Speaking pragmatically, there is a higher chance that this trade fails for us than delivers a championship.

Again, it is important to note that KD was not good in this year's post season. It doesn't necessarily mean he's in decline, but it increases the probability that he is. That needs to be factored.

CP hit an alarming wall this post season. It doesn't necessarily mean he's toast, but it increases the probability that he is. That needs to be factored.

In this trade scenario, we're giving up a max asset trade package. The kind that it would take to land a young, mvp caliber player in their prime. But we're not landing a young mvp caliber player here. We're landing an old mvp caliber player here in the age range that significant decline is expected. This is not good value for us.

Historically, these trades do not work out for the team acquiring the aging player. The Chris Paul trade is an outlier, and we gave up minimal assets. If we're projecting based on history, this trade fails for us, and we have locked ourselves into irrelevance for the next decade.

I'm in favor of trading for KD, but we really need to adjust the trade compensation to account for the disconnect in value of trading for a young vs old player. At the bare minimum, we need to trim one first rounder and pick swap off of the proposal.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pierce wasn’t anywhere close to his prime averaging a career low 18.6 ppg and KG’s knees were completely shot.

KD is still playing at an MVP level and probably will for another two seasons.
Why did KD play so poorly in this year's playoffs? Can you tell me 100% that it was not due to age related decline?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Of course I'm tired of it, but I still believe in responsible risk/reward analysis.

What does your high chance for a championship mean? How high of a chance? Speaking pragmatically, there is a higher chance that this trade fails for us than delivers a championship.

Again, it is important to note that KD was not good in this year's post season. It doesn't necessarily mean he's in decline, but it increases the probability that he is. That needs to be factored.

CP hit an alarming wall this post season. It doesn't necessarily mean he's toast, but it increases the probability that he is. That needs to be factored.

In this trade scenario, we're giving up a max asset trade package. The kind that it would take to land a young, mvp caliber player in their prime. But we're not landing a young mvp caliber player here. We're landing an old mvp caliber player here in the age range that significant decline is expected. This is not good value for us.

Historically, these trades do not work out for the team acquiring the aging player. The Chris Paul trade is an outlier, and we gave up minimal assets. If we're projecting based on history, this trade fails for us, and we have locked ourselves into irrelevance for the next decade.

I'm in favor of trading for KD, but we really need to adjust the trade compensation to account for the disconnect in value of trading for a young vs old player. At the bare minimum, we need to trim one first rounder and pick swap off of the proposal.
Throwing out KD, you are basically saying the same thing we've been saying for 50 years. We've done a good job of NOT sacrificing for the future for the most part and it's gotten us exactly zero championships. Maybe it's time to take a chance.

And I'm sorry, Kevin Durant isn't just some "aging player". He is still, even at 33, arguably a top 5 player in the league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose