NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Pacers hold firm. That's too good a deal for the Lakers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This. It's a better deal for the Lakers.

Yeah, that offer is garbage. I doubt Indiana bites, they can almost certainly get more moving those players separately, especially Hield.
Indiana is including Buddy Hield too? If I am Indiana I hold and require the 2029 1st pick pr no deal. Don't do the Lakers any favors.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that offer is garbage. I doubt Indiana bites, they can almost certainly get more moving those players separately, especially Hield.

Also Turner should be minimally worth a first round pick.

There were rumors earlier that Talen Horton-Tucker might be involved.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I hope the Pacers keep playing hardball with the Lakers. Asking for two first round picks seems fair if they trade Hield and Turner for Westbrook.

I don't know the Pacers have been trying to get rid of Turner for 3 years now. A first for him not so sure of. Suns didn't even want him. Now Hield has some value. He's likes a lot of looks at the basket. He's something the Suns could use some consistent offensive production but probably couldn't afford Hield. I see the Lakers returning to respectable contention soon. Probably after they dump Westbrook & LeBron is gone but maybe sooner. With 17 Championships banners hanging they will become a cherish destination of top for players again.
I hope the Pacers keep playing hardball with the Lakers. Asking for two first round picks seems fair if they trade Hield and Turner for Westbrook.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Indiana could get a 1st for Turner then he wouldn't still be a Pacer today. I think they'll end up settling for a few 2nd's. Hes a lower tier starter, probably around 15-20th in the league and doesn't look to be improving. He also overvalues himself and wants a big payday as well as role.

They can probably get a 1st for Hield. Shooting is always at a premium, even if the player is overpaid.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Royce O'Neale is worth a first round pick, then I think Myles Turner is worth a first round pick.

Obviously there are other factors involved with Turner but the talent is definitely there.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Royce O'Neale is worth a first round pick, then I think Myles Turner is worth a first round pick.

Obviously there are other factors involved with Turner but the talent is definitely there.

Well, we got a first round pick for Robin Lopez so you never know but they've been trying and failing to find a suitor for some time now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Myles Turner is an expiring contract who wants to start and be paid going forward.

I can see why teams are reluctant to fork out $18 million and a first round pick for a player in this situation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Myles Turner is an expiring contract who wants to start and be paid going forward.

I can see why teams are reluctant to fork out $18 million and a first round pick for a player in this situation.
I think he might be one of those players that looks better from a distance. I remember being surprised when Houston gave him away despite having a clear need for a good center (which he appeared to be growing into). There have been rumblings about him ever since. But just looking at his numbers he appears to be a slightly above average big man which is usually worth a first.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Royce is a solid 3&D wing on a good contract. 3&D wings are always at a premium. They have more value than aging Centers that want big money and big minutes. Royce has 2 years left on his deal at $9 million per. Turner is expiring and has already let his intentions be known he wants a raise.

They don't hold the same value.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Getting two unprotected picks for Myles Turner and Buddy Hield is a great deal for Indy. Those guys aren’t gamechangers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting two unprotected picks for Myles Turner and Buddy Hield is a great deal for Indy. Those guys aren’t gamechangers.

I like it for the Pacers but I'm not a fan of helping the Lakers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They aren't getting 2 picks for those players, it's mostly for taking on Westbrook's last year and it isn't worth it IMO. Turner and Hield alone are almost worth what those two picks will likely turn out to be so LA would be getting off cheap.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

People don't want to pay him big money, they see him as just a slightly above average center and don't want to pay a premium for a player like that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They aren't getting 2 picks for those players, it's mostly for taking on Westbrook's last year and it isn't worth it IMO. Turner and Hield alone are almost worth what those two picks will likely turn out to be so LA would be getting off cheap.
Well, I don't know. LA is pretty much in shambles. Those picks will most likely be high lottery, because they have very few picks before them or assets to rebuild with once Lebron is gone. AD is going to constantly be hurt and not have much of any trade value.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People don't want to pay him big money, they see him as just a slightly above average center and don't want to pay a premium for a player like that.

As I view it, Hield and Turner are worth a first round draft pick each.

Where are the Lakers going to get a better starting center? It's a steal for them short term.

Where it benefits the Pacers otherwise, it likely saves the Pacers money if they buy out Westbrook and it allows them to move on with their rebuild without having Hield around two more seasons.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Where are the Lakers going to get a better starting center? It's a steal for them short term.

Where it benefits the Pacers otherwise, it likely saves the Pacers money if they buy out Westbrook and it allows them to move on with their rebuild without having Hield around two more seasons.
Lakers already have Damien Jones and Thomas Bryant.

Both look like they are breaking out. I actually really like those 2 at center.

I don't think Turner is worth a 1st, Indiana has been trying to trade him for a long time with no takers.

Hield is too highly paid for what he gives you, not worthless, but I don't think many teams want him on the books.

I mean, Lakers are destroying their future by giving away more firsts, which I think is actually really stupid since they have no chance of winning a title with this roster. If I was them I would be going into rebuild mode now, not trippling down.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Indy is rebuilding so taking picks way down the road makes sense given their timeline. If they were taking Westbrook off the Wizards hands instead of LA nobody would care.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I don't think Turner is worth a 1st, Indiana has been trying to trade him for a long time with no takers.

Hield is too highly paid for what he gives you, not worthless, but I don't think many teams want him on the books.

I mean, Lakers are destroying their future by giving away more firsts, which I think is actually really stupid since they have no chance of winning a title with this roster. If I was them I would be going into rebuild mode now, not trippling down.
I hope the Lakers do that trade and continue mortgaging their future. I don’t fear them at all with Myles Turner or not.

For everyone that think the Lakers never bottom out they picked top-5 three years in a row and two more top-10 picks. Jeanie Buss and Rob Pelinka aren’t good at their jobs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a good point about Thomas Bryant. He was a nice addition by the Lakers. Maybe they flip Turner for another first round pick later on.

As far as the Lakers future, I don't care if they destroy it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Anthony Davis?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Indy is rebuilding so taking picks way down the road makes sense given their timeline. If they were taking Westbrook off the Wizards hands instead of LA nobody would care.

It doesn’t though.

Taking picks 5 years from now is a huge crap shoot. There will be much better deals at the deadline when contending teams would want to swing for guys like Hield or Turner

Hell I know I’d rather have Heild than Gordon if I’m the suns. I’d give them a 1 all day for him

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Davis?

Anthony Davis can play there as well. I forgot the Lakers were set at center.

If the Lakers are taking Myles Turner to make the salaries work they might be able to trade him later for value or decide to keep him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Anthony Davis can play there as well. I forgot the Lakers were set at center.

If the Lakers are taking Myles Turner to make the salaries work they might be able to trade him later for value or decide to keep him.
Trade him just like the Pacers have been able to? Oh wait…

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's quite an assumption. Sure there's a lot of league wide hate for LA and even more amongst Suns fans but speaking only for myself, when I commented on the deal I was focused on Westbrook not on the Lakers. IMO the Pacers are getting screwed in that scenario and the other team, which just so happens to be LAL, is getting an early Christmas present.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers are actually getting two players that can play while the Pacers are getting Westbrook who will not figure in their plans plus an extra $7 million in salary.

If Westbrook would accept a buyout for the salary difference it wouldn't be as bad for the Pacers.

I dislike any team helping the Lakers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose