NBA Draft Combine 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garland and White are listed at #6 and #7 respectively on Tankathon.

NBADraft.Net has them listed #5 and #6 so there is not a lot of light between these two prospects.

Anyone subscribe to ESPN Insider for their take on these two players?

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Garland

Garland's freshman season ended abruptly because of a knee injury just five games in, leaving a cloud of mystery regarding exactly what to expect from him as an NBA rookie. Nevertheless, there's a lot to like about his ability to operate at different speeds, handle the ball on a string and make pull-up jumpers from difficult vantage points. The lack of star power overall and general depth at the point guard position gradually pushed Garland up the lottery as executives expressed disenchantment with the alternatives.

Garland's slender frame, negative assist-to-turnover ratio and lack of experience at the college level are things he'll have to address during the pre-draft process, but he's a natural option here.

Garland is a strong fit alongside Lonzo Ball and LeBron James. The Lakers need more shot creation and shot-making on their roster, and Garland is a good fit here. The fact that he shares the same agent as James probably won't hurt.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Coby White

White was somewhat of an afterthought in recruiting circles among guard prospects in this class, but he was able to take advantage of the green light he received in Roy Williams' system and his seemingly unlimited confidence to jump into the lottery. His impressive size, open-court quickness and shot-making ability make him an ideal fit in the modern NBA game, and he should make strides as a passer and defender as he continues to gain strength and experience.

White falls into an ideal situation in Chicago, where he can get significant reps as a primary ball handler on a team that really struggled at the point guard position the past few seasons. His perimeter shooting ability gives him the flexibility to play alongside the likes of Kris Dunn or Zach LaVine as the Bulls figure out exactly how their backcourt should shape up long term.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Adding a 20 year old combo guard would be such a let down. To me I’d almost be equally disappointed with the 4th pick if it weren’t for the slightly better trade value. I doubt the Pels abandon all talent around Zion by trading Jrue yet Conley/Lonzo/Dinwiddie/etc aren’t worth the 6th pick. I might offer it for Aaron Gordon and sign Beverly to a cheap deal at this point.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Garland and White are listed at #6 and #7 respectively on Tankathon.

NBADraft.Net has them listed #5 and #6 so there is not a lot of light between these two prospects.

Anyone subscribe to ESPN Insider for their take on these two players?
Garland's stock is hurt because of the injury and small sample size. He is considered the better but riskier prospect.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Garland's stock is hurt because of the injury and small sample size. He is considered the better but riskier prospect.

Getting injured didn’t hurt his stock. All we can go off of at the college level is great shooting numbers vs some creampuffs (granted he doesn’t make their schedule) and is now being thrust at the top of the tier-3 group because it’s such a weak bunch. He looks closer to Eric Gordon than legitimate Nba PG.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

These are the two reasons I started looking at White.

Perhaps the Suns might be better off trying to trade the pick for a point guard. I keep going back and forth on the issue.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Getting injured didn’t hurt his stock. All we can go off of at the college level is great shooting numbers vs some creampuffs (granted he doesn’t make their schedule) and is now being thrust at the top of the tier-3 group because it’s such a weak bunch. He looks closer to Eric Gordon than legitimate Nba PG.
It’s hard to say if it hurt his stock or not. Coming into the season and before he got hurt he was considered the #1 pg prospect ahead of Ja Morant.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dude I am telling you what I SAW. You are titled to believe what you READ. I have no problem with that.

I'm just trying to work out what is reasonable. I have what you say. And I have these so called expert draft sites saying the exact opposite. I think you said you saw a few of his games. Is it possible these weren't his best games?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s hard to say if it hurt his stock or not. Coming into the season and before he got hurt he was considered the #1 pg prospect ahead of Ja Morant.

Every preseason mock/big board I look at had Romeo Langford and Quentin Grimes listed above Garland. It’s amazing how much players can be exposed from simply playing. Maybe Darius Garland has a full season playing great but I don’t think going from late lottery to top-5 after an injury can do anything but help his stock.

On the flip side looking back at preseason mocks, had Cam Reddish and Nassir Little got hurt after 5 games they’d be concrete top-5 picks.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm just trying to work out what is reasonable. I have what you say. And I have these so called expert draft sites saying the exact opposite. I think you said you saw a few of his games. Is it possible these weren't his best games?
I know in NFL draft sites, over the years, certain guys I found were better scouts than the other sites. I am not up on NBA draft sites as much, so I can't tell you who I trust. I do know not all draft experts or sites are equal. At least that has been my experience with NFL sites.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know in NFL draft sites, over the years, certain guys I found were better scouts than the other sites. I am not up on NBA draft sites as much, so I can't tell you who I trust. I do know not all draft experts or sites are equal. At least that has been my experience with NFL sites.

I think the Tankathon and ESPN mock drafts are the most informative and accurate. I'm not sure about The Athletic. The latter two are subscription.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
One of the games was a 33 point game. I recall because it was the first game where he caught my attention. But my observations were still largely intact even with that game included.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they do tend to quote one another a lot. Journalists are notoriously lazy.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These are the two reasons I started looking at White.

Perhaps the Suns might be better off trying to trade the pick for a point guard. I keep going back and forth on the issue.
One of the games he played was only a few minutes before he was injured. Overall that hurt his per game stats significantly.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oregon's Kenny Wooten staying in the draft. Not a surprise at all he barely qualified out of HS and blew up in the tourney this year. I doubt he gets drafted I suspect the Euros being stashed overseas will take 4-5 draft slots again this year and he might get pushed out but he has some Jordan Bell potential. He's not as far along as Bell but incredible athlete.