NBA approves its return plan.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baseball already have breakouts and games being rescheduled

Yeah, but baseball isn't quarantining. If the NBA players follow "the rules" and don't go to strip clubs and what not, then the only thing they need to fear is a Disney employee coughing on their food.

Baseball on the other hand, their players are free to do whatever is allowed in their communities, they are staying in whatever hotels are available and they are having to go through airports and deal with airline employees who are exposed to thousands of people a week (chartered flights are still chartered via an airline).

I think the NHL and the NBA are going to succeed in their restarts. I think the MLB is going to have a couple serious outbreaks to the point that they might have to figure out how to write an entire team off and the NFL... unless they figure out a "bubble" scenario, I don't know how it will work.

Given that the only areas with enough legit baseball stadiums available to house the MLB are in Florida and Arizona are also waaaaaaaaaay too hot to play outdoor baseball in the middle of the summer, I can see why the MLB didn't view a bubble as realistic (and that is before Florida and Arizona became Covid capitals), the NFL does not have an excuse. There are football fields that yield standard dimensions in hospitable climates all over the country. If they're paying attention to the MLB and their status on the brink of disaster, I would hope that they are beginning to look for some isolated options.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is one thing I am very curious about. IMO, a major factor in the incompetence of NBA refs if the crowds and market where they are officiating. With those factors removed from the equation things might get called considerably more fair... outside of superstars. LeBron will still be able to take 12 steps with the ball and it is illegal to look James Harden while he is in a shooting motion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one thing I am very curious about. IMO, a major factor in the incompetence of NBA refs if the crowds and market where they are officiating. With those factors removed from the equation things might get called considerably more fair... outside of superstars. LeBron will still be able to take 12 steps with the ball and it is illegal to look James Harden while he is in a shooting motion.

I do think the games will be called more fairly aside from the superstars getting the calls because the games will be at a mostly neutral location. Also the crowds will not be there to make an impact.

Of course the big market teams will always get the benefit of close calls in pivotal games but not as much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the chances of a bubble next season from NBPA's Michele Roberts.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players may kneel during the national anthem on season restart on Thursday.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far, so good. Let's keep it going.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably been asked sorry haven't read the thread. What is their plan if/when 1 or more players on a given team tests positive?

Obviously you test the whole team and then the teams they just played. But if everyone is playing in the same arena and John Smith tests positive, then all the other games played after that they are potentially exposed. So is the plan to just test everyone in the NBA, players and execs if there's even one positive test INSIDE?

The idea works until they IMO get multiple guys, then you have to figure out how more than one got sick and you have to test everyone and you almost have to quarantine everyone because people may test negative but already have it.

I think the NBA is the most likely league to be able to pull it off, football and baseball too big, too many teams for colleges.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose