NBA Approves Coaches Challenges for 2019-20 Season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was just approved by unanimous decision at the board of governors meeting the other day. Coach Challenges have been something that the G-League has allowed for the last 2 seasons and the NBA will adopt this year on a trial basis. It has also been added to this year's summer league play as well.

Here is some more info on it, with a link to the article I pulled the quote from below....

Teams can use one challenge per game regardless of whether it is successful, and it can be utilized to question a call in a variety of scenarios, including a personal foul, an out-of-bounds call, goaltending or basket interference. The challenge can be used at any point during the game. However, in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter or overtime, any out of bounds, goaltending or basket-interference calls will be automatically triggered for review and are not challengeable.

To challenge a play, a team must have a timeout and call one after the play, and then its coach must twirl his finger toward the referees to signal for the challenge. If a team doesn't have a timeout and attempts to challenge a play, it will be charged a technical foul and no challenge will occur. There must be clear and conclusive visual evidence to overturn a call.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27157373/nba-approves-use-coach-challenge-19-20

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This was just approved by unanimous decision at the board of governors meeting the other day. Coach Challenges have been something that the G-League has allowed for the last 2 seasons and the NBA will adopt this year on a trial basis. It has also been added to this year's summer league play as well.

Here is some more info on it, with a link to the article I pulled the quote from below....

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27157373/nba-approves-use-coach-challenge-19-20
So what does this mean for a missed call at the end a game like the Durant out of bounds against the Rockets this year? Does it have to be something that gets called to be reviewed or can it also be a potential missed call that gets looked at?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It gives the refs a powerful tool against griping and complaining.

“If you don’t like it, review it or shut up!”

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what does this mean for a missed call at the end a game like the Durant out of bounds against the Rockets this year? Does it have to be something that gets called to be reviewed or can it also be a potential missed call that gets looked at?

That's a good question. It says out of bounds calls can be challenged and all out of bounds calls in the final 2 minutes will be reviewed but they need to be called first. I suspect we'll get some clarification as the season draws closer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a good question. It says out of bounds calls can be challenged and all out of bounds calls in the final 2 minutes will be reviewed but they need to be called first. I suspect we'll get some clarification as the season draws closer.
They better fix it so the refs can apply common sense on out of bounds plays. Far too often do they go to review a ball that went out of bounds and the replay shows a defender mugging someone causing them to lose control of the ball but, because they can't review a foul but can review possession, the bad act is rewarded.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Also just from my experience with VAR in european footall - just because refs can review the plays they will still make bad judgement calls.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
“Let’s take another look to see if amare did indeed leave the bench”

:)

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With speed of the NBA game, I see this only being useful really if a key player fouls out and the coach wants the ref to review it. Nothing can be done in the last two minutes to review block/charge, etc - the time everyone cares about - so what is the point, realistically? Or are they saying that fouls can be challenged in the last two minutes? What I heard on the radio was no challenges in the last 2 minutes.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With speed of the NBA game, I see this only being useful really if a key player fouls out and the coach wants the ref to review it. Nothing can be done in the last two minutes to review block/charge, etc - the time everyone cares about - so what is the point, realistically? Or are they saying that fouls can be challenged in the last two minutes? What I heard on the radio was no challenges in the last 2 minutes.

No challenges in the last 2 minutes but there are various plays that will be automatically reviewed. It seems like they're implementing it similar to the how the NFL handles their challenges. The main difference is that you won't get challenges back if you're right, like the NFL.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
No challenges in the last 2 minutes but there are various plays that will be automatically reviewed. It seems like they're implementing it similar to the how the NFL handles their challenges. The main difference is that you won't get challenges back if you're right, like the NFL.
Or MLB.