NBA and NBPA reportedly agree to a new 7 Year Collective Bargaining Agreement

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report is the NBA and NBPA have agreed to a new 7 year Collective Bargaining Agreement.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The agreement will start with the 2023-24 season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some details.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess an in-season tournament is in the works.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marijuana has been removed as a violation.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another luxury tax level might help the Suns. I'm anxious to find out more.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to allow two-way players to play in the playoffs. Even if a team only can make 1 of their two-way players eligible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess an in-season tournament is in the works.

This has to be the dumbest idea I’ve ever seen from the NBA.

These games won’t have an impact on actual record nor have anything to do with playoff seeding, right? So, it’s what amounts to just a bunch of pre-season games mid-season, to elongate the season and wear and tear on the players… for the players to get a little richer?

Who the hell wants to watch that?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new luxury tax apron is a bit confusing. Would the luxury tax payer MLE be taken away?

A third two-way slot will be created.

Yes, for some taxpayers like the Warriors for example. If a team is over $17.5 million the luxury tax line then they lose the taxpayer MLE. So the rich can't continue to keep spending, basically.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't take anything seriously that comes out on April 1st.

These sources are reliable and I think Friday was the deadline to complete the new Collective Bargaining Agreement although there would be no work stoppage.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has to be the dumbest idea I’ve ever seen from the NBA.

These games won’t have an impact on actual record nor have anything to do with playoff seeding, right? So, it’s what amounts to just a bunch of pre-season games mid-season, to elongate the season and wear and tear on the players… for the players to get a little richer?

Who the hell wants to watch that?

They count as regular season games, it adds 1 game to the finalists schedule. It's not a break or extra games. Being 1 game added, for only the teams that make the finals, it's really a non issue and gives the league a game they can claim is meaningful in December, which kind is when a lot of casual fans start tuning in.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, for some taxpayers like the Warriors for example. If a team is over $17.5 million the luxury tax line then they lose the taxpayer MLE. So the rich can't continue to keep spending, basically.

I'm anxious to find out if this helps or hinders the Suns.

I like a third two-way contract option, but the Suns have one opening at the moment.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They count as regular season games, it adds 1 game to the finalists schedule. It's not a break or extra games. Being 1 game added, for only the teams that make the finals, it's really a non issue and gives the league a game they can claim is meaningful in December, which kind is when a lot of casual fans start tuning in.
Ah…? I’m still confused. The previous two finals teams are the only ones in the tournament? Who participates in this thing? And if the games count but one is added just for finals teams won’t that possibly effects records at the end of the year if one team has played more games than another in a tight race?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the new CBA favors those teams that draft and develop players. This limits the top spending teams.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah…? I’m still confused. The previous two finals teams are the only ones in the tournament? Who participates in this thing? And if the games count but one is added just for finals teams won’t that possibly effects records at the end of the year if one team has played more games than another in a tight race?

The tournament games are part of the regular season schedule, they don't add games.

The only teams that play extra games, more than 82 next season, are the 2 teams that reach the finals in that tournament. They play 1 extra game for a bunch of money.

Get it? Really don't know how to break it down more or why you're thinking NBA Finals teams, I'm talking about tournament finalists. Completely aside from the previous years finals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tournament games are part of the regular season schedule, they don't add games.

The only teams that play extra games, more than 82 next season, are the 2 teams that reach the finals in that tournament. They play 1 extra game for a bunch of money.

Get it? Really don't know how to break it down more or why you're thinking NBA Finals teams, I'm talking about tournament finalists. Completely aside from the previous years finals.
You brought up NBA Finals teams so that’s where my confusion was.

And I still don’t really get how this works or I guess how it’s a tournament if these are just games that are already scheduled to be played.

But I also don’t care enough about it to continue the convo.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out the ramifications of the new CBA on the Suns but it doesn't sound good.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You brought up NBA Finals teams so that’s where my confusion was.

And I still don’t really get how this works or I guess how it’s a tournament if these are just games that are already scheduled to be played.

But I also don’t care enough about it to continue the convo.

I never mentioned the NBA Finals, you somehow came to insert them all on your own. I said the teams in the finals of the tournament play an extra game, that's it. They're going to flex the regular season schedule some and count the tournament games in to the full 82 game season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand the new CBA, it sounds like the Suns zigged when they should have zagged unless a new television deal helps them down the road. That could be a couple of years or so.

I understand the new CBA will be phased into effect in 2023-24, but on the surface it doesn't sound good.

The Suns may be able to use the luxury tax MLE next season and perhaps the Bi-annual exception but money to sign players looks tight. Of course, there is the veteran minimum contract.

Anyone see a ray of sunshine beyond the new television deal?