Nate Clements

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've held my tongue (well, not really, but go with it). I really thought we should have signed this guy in the offseason. There weren't good corners in FA. He was by far the best rated guy out there. Our weak spot has been CB. Our defense has to scheme to compensate for weak CB play.

SF opened the bank for him, overpaid (yes, I admit they overpaid) and signed him. The ONLY reason they did this...well, two reasons actually...is because of Q and Fitz. We torched the niners with our guys. They wanted to stop us from doing so.

Some of you *coughabombmyfriendcough* like to quote NFL prospectus that Clements isn't all he is cracked up to be. I say to poop on that book!

Clements, tonight, earned exactly HALF of his salary as our WRs were not effective. His play was perfect. If they beat us again (not likely, IMO) then he will have been almost a bargain.

Here's one of those scenarios where breaking the bank for US makes more sense than SF. He not only would have given us a fearsome secondary (with Green at CB2 and Hood as nickel where he shines) but would have taken away a guy that really, really, really improves a division rival.

At the signing, I was mad. Tonight, I am pissed. I hope to hell at the end of the season I am not furious about this one. I think it is the primary offseason move where we whiffed.

the donald

Reaction score
dude, that game was awesome. my voice isn't completely gone, but my throat hurts and it is raspy. now i can't wait to watch it.

and yes that was one hell of a signing. but if you look at the way the contract is set up, it is extremely cap friendly.

the donald

Reaction score
You mean they gave roster bonus instead of signing bonus right...?

they gave him a $10mil signing bonus, but that counts against this years cap and is not pro-rated, and something like a couple hundred thousand dollar salary.
then after this year he has a roster bonus due to him for 10mil, that will then be spread over the next, i belive, 4 years. and after 5 years he can be cut with no significant cap hit.

this also goes for micheal lewis too. all of his money is roster bonuses at the beginning of each year, so he can be cut at any time.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think our lack of success against the niners secondary had as much to do with Leinart's errant passes as it did with the niners performance.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Some of you *coughabombmyfriendcough* like to quote NFL prospectus that Clements isn't all he is cracked up to be. I say to poop on that book! .

Clements didn't prove anymore than the journeyman CB Walt Harris did...we didn't adjust to the 49er defense. That was the difference.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Leinart was bad, plain and simple. Not taking anything away from their corners who played tight coverage but let's see how it goes in the next one.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree that Leinart played horrible, but you can't say that that Harris and Clements didn't play well. Boldin and Fitz have made many bad QB days more than respectable before. Clements is a stud IMO.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I agree that Leinart played horrible, but you can't say that that Harris and Clements didn't play well. Boldin and Fitz have made many bad QB days more than respectable before. Clements is a stud IMO.

For as long as they have been together on the Cards, I can't recall a game where BOTH looked so bad over the entire game! They were BOTH shut down from the opening whistle to the last whistle... I honestly didn't think it was possible...
Oh - and for the record, Leinart BLEW serious chunks as well!!

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Good one!

Wait....if he is 4th team....where does that put your 2 great WR's that got shut down?

He meant he's ON his 4th team in his carreer not that he's a fourth stringer.

And Q is better than any of your DB's, Matt was bad Monday.

MNNinerfan

Reaction score
11yrs in the league, 4 teams, 1 injury replacement Pro Bowl...

Yep, that's him.

Hey, I like him and he is a soild #2 CB but lets not make him out to be Champ Bailey.

Let's also not make him out to be an average CB, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to handle your all-pro WR's

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Let's also not make him out to be an average CB, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to handle your all-pro WR's

Hey...you won.

We disagree on why...

I think it was our QB being tentative...the WR's were open.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
DONALD and The Donald... anyone else notice that?

Nate Clements was the only good player on a crappy Bills defense. I watched him last year because my roomate is a Bills fan, and he is Adrian Wilson good, but at the corner position. Noone really knows all that much about him though because he has palyed for the crappy bills and now the crappy 49ers, who made us look like Ssdfkj.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DONALD and The Donald... anyone else notice that?

Nate Clements was the only good player on a crappy Bills defense. I watched him last year because my roomate is a Bills fan, and he is Adrian Wilson good, but at the corner position. Noone really knows all that much about him though because he has palyed for the crappy bills and now the crappy 49ers, who made us look like Ssdfkj.

Yeah, I've noticed it. I just call him The Me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave