Nashville Floods

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by arthurracoon, May 8, 2010.

1. arthurracoon

arthurracoon The Cardinal Smiles

Didn't see anything posted on the flooding of middle Tennessee & Nashville that started a week ago with a few straight days of rain. Had the tornado sirens go off Sunday morning. Had the flood waters rise in downtown and the suburbs until about Tuesday or so. One of the two water treatment plants was flooded and is still shut down and the other came to within a foot of being flooded. Electricity has been restored for most people over the last week, but one of the substations downtown was flooded as well. 29 dead so far.

Cleanup going on now with people gutting out their homes and dumping their possessions, drywall, flooring, appliances, etc out in their front yards. Unfortunately, for the most part, no one has flood insurance. It's just sad to see that much destruction.

In Nashville, cost of flood is $1.5 billion and rising
    http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...lle++cost+of+flood+is++1.5+billion+and+rising

2. AzCards21

AzCards21 Registered User

Where you lucky enough to be outside the flood zone? That is really a mess down there.

3. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Yeah, I hope you and family and friends have been OK. The flooding stopped about a block from the house of a friend of mine. But she says they have a lot of damage simply because of the amount of rain you all got.

I've stayed at the Opryland Hotel so I looked through the pictures posted at the Tennessean. Unbelievable. Was there damage at the Opryland Museum? Last report I heard a couple of days ago said the football stadium wasn't flooded but it looks like it was? So I'm wondering about the museum and its collection.

Hope you are OK. Please keep us updated.

4. arthurracoon

arthurracoon The Cardinal Smiles

Fortunately, my area was fine - just lost power for a day.

Some of my friends, unfortunately, lost the first floor of their homes. Helped em gut the damaged stuff out, but after that, people are waiting for contractors/construction folks to rebuild and FEMA to hand out some $$$.

I think the Opryland Museum (the one across he street from the hotel) suffered damage. The Country Music Hall of Fame only suffered a little bit of damage (nothing to the exhibits I dont think). The Titans stadium flooded, but not much damage there.

5. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

I have lots of friends in the area, from when I lived there.

Couple I know in Bellevue were flooded out - husband was out of town, wife was home-water came in so quickly all she could do was get herself to the second floor. She had to be rescued by boat.

6. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

My thoughts go out to all who are there - definitely sad what is going on and sad that it's been completely overlooked/underreported

I went on vacation there a couple summers ago and really enjoyed the area