Nascar Sucks

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Posts
5,620
Reaction score
1,322
Subway 500 was the worst experience of my life. PIR is a joke. The "sport" is a joke. I gave it a shot and was convinced, not that NASCAR is a sport, but I was convinced that it sucks.
 

Hard Hittin Adrian

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Posts
126
Reaction score
0
Location
az
azsouthendzone said:
Subway 500 was the worst experience of my life. PIR is a joke. The "sport" is a joke. I gave it a shot and was convinced, not that NASCAR is a sport, but I was convinced that it sucks.


ya i agree....no better way to explain it
 

BigRedVol

All Star
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Posts
760
Reaction score
0
Pir Sucks

AzSEZ, dont let PIR confuse you. Nascar is still the 2nd best sport avaliable in America. It's just that PIR sucks. I was there for my first time as well Saturday. It will definitely be my last. I might travel to Vegas, or Fontana to check out those tracks, but never again to PIR. Give it one more chance, check out a REAL nascar track!! Check out Daytona, Talladega, Bristol, Atlanta, Charlotte, Darlington, Rockingham, any of those where the sport has its roots and you will find the REAL Nascar!!! Bristol is my favorite, check out a race there under the lights sometime, or the Pepsi 400 in July in Daytona, now that's a race!! I am disgusted at PIR too, my friend, I will never go there again, but don't let PIR develop a hatred for you towards NASCAR. PIR is NOT Nascar, it gets so much better than that!!!
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2002
Posts
13,281
Reaction score
1,145
Location
SE Valley
What exactly are the problems with PIR? Other than the obvious access/traffic issue which is reason enough to not attend a race there, what about the track, facilities, etc.??? I have never attended a race there, I am just asking...
 

wilycoyote24

All Star
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Posts
707
Reaction score
0
Location
Austin
I don't like any "sport" that relies more on technology than athleticism. Also, every race involves the same drivers, the same cars, basically the same tracks. I just don't understand how there is enough variety from race to race to inspire fans to follow NASCAR.
 

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Joined
Oct 18, 2002
Posts
4,431
Reaction score
1,098
Location
Millersburg, OR
wilycoyote24 said:
I don't like any "sport" that relies more on technology than athleticism. Also, every race involves the same drivers, the same cars, basically the same tracks. I just don't understand how there is enough variety from race to race to inspire fans to follow NASCAR.

Have you ever driven a car 190 MPH? Bumper to bumper I might add. Same drivers because there are only so many people with enough skill to qualify, just like there are only so many NBA players. Most of the drivers have worked their way up the ranks and have been participating in some form of racing since age 10.

Each track is different. It's kinda like golf in that they all "look" the same, but each has it's unique characteristics.

Most of all, I enjoy the team aspect. A 1 second lapse in the pit could cost a driver 6 spots.
 

wilycoyote24

All Star
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Posts
707
Reaction score
0
Location
Austin
BendCardfan said:
Have you ever driven a car 190 MPH? Bumper to bumper I might add. Same drivers because there are only so many people with enough skill to qualify, just like there are only so many NBA players. Most of the drivers have worked their way up the ranks and have been participating in some form of racing since age 10.

Each track is different. It's kinda like golf in that they all "look" the same, but each has it's unique characteristics.

Most of all, I enjoy the team aspect. A 1 second lapse in the pit could cost a driver 6 spots.

Nope, the best that I have done is about 120 MPH bumper to bumper.

My point about the same drivers isn't that there are so few in the same sense that there are so few NBA players. It's more about the lack of variety from race to race. In the NBA the Suns may only play, let's say Philadelphia, twice a year, so seeing JJ guard AI is exciting. In NASCAR, its like only watching Phoenix play the 6ers, as the drivers are always the same from race to race. This, for me anyways, makes it so that the competition is played out.

I know the tracks are "different" but come on, how much different can one oval be from another? :D

I guess I just don't appreciate the team aspect of NASCAR because it seems that 99% of it is the driver and 1% is the pit crew. They seem to be making the same contribution to the outcome of a race as the people that hand towels and gatorade to Nash and Stoudemire during timeouts contriubte to the outcome of Suns games. While a car can run out of gas, Amare could get sweat in his eye and miss a shot or become dehydrated.
 
Last edited:

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Joined
Oct 18, 2002
Posts
4,431
Reaction score
1,098
Location
Millersburg, OR
wilycoyote24 said:
I guess I just don't appreciate the team aspect of NASCAR because it seems that 99% of it is the driver and 1% is the pit crew. They seem to be making the same contribution to the outcome of a race as the people that hand towels and gatorade to Nash and Stoudemire during timeouts contriubte to the outcome of Suns games. While a car can run out of gas, Amare could get sweat in his eye and miss a shot or become dehydrated.

I see where you are coming from. There are many forms of racing, Nascar is just the only one aired on FOX (most popular).

I think what goes on behind the scenes is most exciting?/awsome about the "sport". I can understand how the casual viewer who watches a few minutes of a race sees what you are describing, but there is so much more ivolved than a dude driving around in a car. The "sport/event" just continues to gain popularity.
 

PortlandCardFan

Registered User
Joined
Oct 1, 2002
Posts
10,206
Reaction score
4
Location
Portland, OR
BendCardfan said:
I see where you are coming from. There are many forms of racing, Nascar is just the only one aired on FOX (most popular).

I think what goes on behind the scenes is most exciting?/awsome about the "sport". I can understand how the casual viewer who watches a few minutes of a race sees what you are describing, but there is so much more ivolved than a dude driving around in a car. The "sport/event" just continues to gain popularity.

I figured you to be a Biffle fan.... since he is from the 'couve and all!! :D

At least you like a Rousch driver.

"6" !!!
 

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Moderator
Supporting Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2002
Posts
32,384
Reaction score
6,168
Location
Super Scottsdale
wilycoyote24 said:
I guess I just don't appreciate the team aspect of NASCAR because it seems that 99% of it is the driver and 1% is the pit crew. They seem to be making the same contribution to the outcome of a race as the people that hand towels and gatorade to Nash and Stoudemire during timeouts contriubte to the outcome of Suns games. While a car can run out of gas, Amare could get sweat in his eye and miss a shot or become dehydrated.

It may seem that way, but a lot goes in to building a NASCAR team. The engine department is huge. The pit crew is huge, too. I think most NASCAR fans can tell you which teams have the best crews and which have the worst.

I used to hate NASCAR. Now I watch it and enjoy it. People can call it stupid or hick or redneck ... doesn't bother me.
 
OP
OP
azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Posts
5,620
Reaction score
1,322
used to hate NASCAR. Now I watch it and enjoy it. People can call it stupid or hick or redneck ... doesn't bother me.
It isn't hick or redneck...It is hick and redneck.

You must be registered for see images
 
Top