Name a Movie You Feel Everyone Must Have Seen

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Is there any movie that you feel is so popular that everyone who watches movies, sometime over the years must have seen either at home, at the theater, on TV, streamed, or wherever. What is that one movie everyone has seen at least once in their life?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was born in the early 80s... I cannot fathom meeting anyone who isn't either 30 years older than me or 30 years younger who hasn't seen the Disney films of the late 80s/early 90s.

Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King... I honestly think I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who hasn't seen the majority those films that is more than 15 or so year old.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dark Knight. That was the last MEGA BLOCKBUSTER before the Marvel craze which meant EVERYONE saw it, young, middle aged and even olds. And because it’s Batman, and universally recognized as the best Batman movie ever, all of today’s youngins beholden to the comic book craze have seen it too.

Signed,

The Guy Who Just Realized He’s The Old Man

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a few people that haven’t seen ET, Wizard AND Star Wars.
I don't but I do know one person that still hasn't seen Titanic and several that haven't watched Back To The Future. Myself, I didn't see ET until about 10 years ago at the insistence of friends when they found out I hadn't seen it.

Back to the Future and ET are both on my list of "why in the world do so many people love these movies" list. I didn't dislike either but they did little for me, especially Back to the Future. Which would lead to my point which is, I don't think there is a movie that "everyone" must have seen.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd mention some of the above, but these also due to the annual rerunning of these:

- Elf
- Grinch Who Stole Christmas original cartoon
- A Christmas Story

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I was born in the early 80s... I cannot fathom meeting anyone who isn't either 30 years older than me or 30 years younger who hasn't seen the Disney films of the late 80s/early 90s.

Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King... I honestly think I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who hasn't seen the majority those films that is more than 15 or so year old.
I haven't seen those. I was born in 74 and those came out at the end of HS/start of college and I've never had any interest in Disney's animation. It seems like this hold true for millennials though.

For movies that it seems like everyone has seen I'll go with:
Wizard of Oz
Christmas Story

I'm going with them mainly due to how much TV time they get. I don't have any stats on it but I'd bet that those two have been played on TV more than any other movies.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score

Well, that was quick. I haven't seen one of those particular ones, and probably none of that era. But when I was younger I am sure I saw the very early Disney ones like Bambi, Dumbo, Snow White. By the way, I despise Walt Disney and his racist mindset.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The Dark Knight. That was the last MEGA BLOCKBUSTER before the Marvel craze which meant EVERYONE saw it, young, middle aged and even olds. And because it’s Batman, and universally recognized as the best Batman movie ever, all of today’s youngins beholden to the comic book craze have seen it too.

Signed,

The Guy Who Just Realized He’s The Old Man
I must be older, for I have no recollection of seeing it. I know I have seen one of the Batmans, but don't remember which it was. I remember a scene with him being a boy in a cave with bats, another with him as a boy talking with his butler guy, and that is all.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Titanic, E.T., Star Wars and Wizard of Oz.
WofO would have been one of my #2 suggestion because of TV. My other guess, #1, would have been It's a Wonderful Life, which used to be shown so often that it was often on 3 or 4 channels about the same time every year.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I don't but I do know one person that still hasn't seen Titanic and several that haven't watched Back To The Future. Myself, I didn't see ET until about 10 years ago at the insistence of friends when they found out I hadn't seen it.

I have always thought that I must be the only person on Earth that didn't like ET. I thought it was really stupid the way the made the gov't officials so dumb and incompetent. If that part would have seemed more real and suspenseful, I may have enjoyed it more.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I haven't seen those. I was born in 74 and those came out at the end of HS/start of college and I've never had any interest in Disney's animation. It seems like this hold true for millennials though.

For movies that it seems like everyone has seen I'll go with:
Wizard of Oz
Christmas Story

I'm going with them mainly due to how much TV time they get. I don't have any stats on it but I'd bet that those two have been played on TV more than any other movies.
I don't know of or remember seeing Xmas Story. Doubt I have seen it. But WoO is my suggestion too.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
WofO would have been one of my #2 suggestion because of TV. My other guess, #1, would have been It's a Wonderful Life, which used to be shown so often that it was often on 3 or 4 channels about the same time every year.
It's a Wonderful Life is on I considered for that reason but I dropped it because I think it'll be generational. Boomers and GenX grew up with it but I don't think it's had that type of airtime for the younger generations.

I don't know of or remember seeing Xmas Story. Doubt I have seen it. But WoO is my suggestion too.
Surprised on Christmas Story with you. I think you might be an outlier though on it. TNT alone plays it for like 3 days straight every Christmas. It could be a self selections bias but it seems like everyone knows that "you'll shoot your eye out" when you get your Red Rider BB Gun for Xmas. :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never seen It’s A Wonderful Life.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I have never seen It’s A Wonderful Life.
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding! You win!

Don't own a TV. or really young? 20+ years ago you had little choice to turn your TV on at Xmas time and not find it on. That is a rare one though, you still have time to see it with your kids or grand kids. I highly suggest it, such a fun, funny, meaningful story for all. Makes you aware that even the smallest things you do, can trickle down and alter or influence someone, and the world, in ways you never realize or find out about. Please watch it with your family sometime. I prefer the original B&W version, but Turner colored it for the uneducated movie goers back in the 80's I think. I am sure they both can be watched at xmas time each year, and it's probably in public domain.

I went most of my 75 years being a true movie enthusiast (growing up in Hollywood a half block off Hollywood Blvd and all the big beautiful theaters), especially in regards to classics, and strangely have never watched Lawrence of Arabia. I didn't see Casablanca until a very few years ago, and just recently watched Citizen Kane.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding! You win!

Don't own a TV. or really young? 20+ years ago you had little choice to turn your TV on at Xmas time and not find it on. That is a rare one though, you still have time to see it with your kids or grand kids. I highly suggest it, such a fun, funny, meaningful story for all. Makes you aware that even the smallest things you do, can trickle down and alter or influence someone, and the world, in ways you never realize or find out about. Please watch it with your family sometime. I prefer the original B&W version, but Turner colored it for the uneducated movie goers back in the 80's I think. I am sure they both can be watched at xmas time each year, and it's probably in public domain.

I went most of my 75 years being a true movie enthusiast (growing up in Hollywood a half block off Hollywood Blvd and all the big beautiful theaters), especially in regards to classics, and strangely have never watched Lawrence of Arabia. I didn't see Casablanca until a very few years ago, and just recently watched Citizen Kane.

I’m 40 and I’ve never seen It’s a Wonderful life. Just doesn’t look good to me

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose