Name 3 improvements you want to see from the team this year

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going to go all offense here because I think it's the area with the most wasted potential

1. More pre snap motion - Teams use it for a reason. It's proven boost to EPA and offensive efficiency. The best teams use it a bunch while we are one of the lowest in the league. You don't need a burner like Isabella or Rondale to use motion so there has been no excuse. It's all upside and no downside.

2. More moving Kyler / the pocket around - This has really frustrated me the last 2 seasons. Kyler has obvious issues seeing or throwing to the middle of the field. He's also had some issue with balls batted down and stepping up into the pocket. Yet we use under center and roll out/bootlegs at one of the lowest rates in the league. I'd like to see Kyler do better here too. It doesn't have to be a designed rollout to move the pocket. Russell Wilson is a master at this. Move around to give you a better view / lanes / angles. Same with throwing on the run, all the best QB's do it, Kyler either seems to throw from the pocket or just take off and run. Nothing in between.

3. Better route combinations - This is one of my biggest issues with Kliff's scheme. Practically all his routes are run 1 vs 1. You beat your guy on your own or you don't. If you look at the best offenses in the league nearly every route is designed to work in combination with other routes. The most basic example is an outside receiver might run a go to take the outside corner downfield while the slot runs an out into the vacated space or you have 3 guys in a bunch with your outside guy running a dig and the CB in coverage can't get through the traffic created by the 2 inside guys. That basic stuff we don't do. We need to do more to help receivers get open, not rely on winning 1 on 1 which just won't happen often enough vs good defenses. And it gives Kyler more open guys where he doesn't have to hit a tight window.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Eliminating pre-snap penalties
- Our offense stopped more of our drives last year than the opposing defenses did.

2. 3rd Down defense
- I know it was back ups and preseason but watching us allow Dallas to convert on 4th and 12 last week looked like the last 3 years all over again.

3. Clutch kicking game.
- I know one play isn’t supposed to make or break a game but it often does. We would have 3-4 more playoff births in the last 15 years if our kickers weren’t choke artists.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
A
I'm going to go all offense here because I think it's the area with the most wasted potential

1. More pre snap motion - Teams use it for a reason. It's proven boost to EPA and offensive efficiency. The best teams use it a bunch while we are one of the lowest in the league. You don't need a burner like Isabella or Rondale to use motion so there has been no excuse. It's all upside and no downside.

2. More moving Kyler / the pocket around - This has really frustrated me the last 2 seasons. Kyler has obvious issues seeing or throwing to the middle of the field. He's also had some issue with balls batted down and stepping up into the pocket. Yet we use under center and roll out/bootlegs at one of the lowest rates in the league. I'd like to see Kyler do better here too. It doesn't have to be a designed rollout to move the pocket. Russell Wilson is a master at this. Move around to give you a better view / lanes / angles. Same with throwing on the run, all the best QB's do it, Kyler either seems to throw from the pocket or just take off and run. Nothing in between.

3. Better route combinations - This is one of my biggest issues with Kliff's scheme. Practically all his routes are run 1 vs 1. You beat your guy on your own or you don't. If you look at the best offenses in the league nearly every route is designed to work in combination with other routes. The most basic example is an outside receiver might run a go to take the outside corner downfield while the slot runs an out into the vacated space or you have 3 guys in a bunch with your outside guy running a dig and the CB in coverage can't get through the traffic created by the 2 inside guys. That basic stuff we don't do. We need to do more to help receivers get open, not rely on winning 1 on 1 which just won't happen often enough vs good defenses. And it gives Kyler more open guys where he doesn't have to hit a tight window.
All good points but the first two for sure

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Penalties
Mental errors (taking a 2 yard loss instead of throwing it away)
Game management (understanding the clock, calling plays that are beneficial for the situation, less stubbornness to "the system works"

I put all of these 100 percent on Kliff. If we can't get these things improved, then he needs to go.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I want better end of half, end of game offense. Very choppy the last two years. So odd that a team that plays faster than anyone looks so lost sometimes when ..... they have to play fast at the end of a half or a game.

In that regard, the draw call on the first play of the 2 minute offense needs to be shelved.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm looking for the same 3 win improvement from year 1 to year 2. (yes I know we play 17 now but 3 more wins would have me giddy)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Verticality.
Pre-Snap motion.
WR's not being locked in to one spot on the field.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Regurgitating past posts, but

1. Penalties. Goes w/o saying. When you lead the league in penalties, you're not going to win games. This comes with better discipline and better coaching. JJ Watt should help with this on the defensive side, but it ultimately falls on Kliffy
2. Playcalling. Option plays on 3rd and 18 with the playoffs on the line are not acceptable. Kliff needs to go back to what worked for him at TTU
3. Kyler. Needs to not turtle in the second half of the season like he's done the past two seasons. He's teetering on the line of all-pro caliber QB or being a gimmick. He's maybe Top-12 in the league. Needs to be Top 8ish IMO, which is possible

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1. Less penalties. No more leading the league in penalties please.
2. Faster starts on offense. In 7 of our 8 losses we were down at halftime. Seems like this team was playing catch up way too often and it just seemed to doom them.
3. Converting on 3rd and short. Hopefully the additions of Rodney Hudson and James Connor will allow us to pick up those 3rd & 1 situations a bit more often.

Arizona_Steve

Veteran
Reaction score
Just two things:
(1) The offense scores more points.
(2) The opposing teams score fewer points against our defense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose