Najee Harris Pro Comparison-E James pre-ACL

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have watched a bunch of Alabama games the last 2 years and the pro comparison I come up with is a young pre-ACL injury Edgerrin James. Both Najee and Edge have a very similar short, choppy step style of running that contributes to their uncanny balance and ability to absorb contact and still finish runs. Both have great vision and short area quickness. Edge probably was a better pure pass receiver, but Harris is pretty good. I give the edge to Harris for pure power and explosiveness, but young Edgerrin was pretty darn explosive as well.

If the Cards go running back in round #1, to me Harris is the only legit option. Javantae Williams would be my 2nd round option as he gives a similar running style.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta disagree. Much different games. Both are very good but their games are not similar. Edge was way faster and shiftier. He had many more gears than Harris. Harris is more powerful.

Last edited:

neojdc

Reaction score
If our top CB targets are gone, I say go with Harris. Take the best player regardless of position. I also like Micah Parsons if he drops.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Best Player period

With 4 QB in the top 10 to our spot some good players will fall to us.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we don’t take him at 16, I have a strong feeling Miami will at 18.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For everyone wanting Williams I don’t think he will last until our second pick.
It’s either a trade down or a leap of faith at 16.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
For everyone wanting Williams I don’t think he will last until our second pick.
It’s either a trade down or a leap of faith at 16.
That's my fear too. There's so much consternation about the lack of RB "value" that people's heads will be spinning when 2 go in the first and 3 in the top 40.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's my fear too. There's so much consternation about the lack of RB "value" that people's heads will be spinning when 2 go in the first and 3 in the top 40.
That’s why I wouldn’t mind us signing another free agent. I firmly believe in today’s nfl AND the adding another game WE NEED 3 DECENT BACKS.
Unfortunately we have no idea what we have in Benjamin and Ward but I don’t think we can count on either one being more than our 4 th back who will HAVE to be a good ST guy.
So we have Edmonds. We need a Thumper. I wouldn’t mind a guy like Duke Johnson but then you’d have to draft a thumper because I think he’s more like Edmonds. James Connor I see more as a thumper then we would need to draft another Edmonds type RB.
Not suggesting we sign Connors or Johnson . I’m just using those guys as examples of how I’d like to put together a rb Corp.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
That’s why I wouldn’t mind us signing another free agent. I firmly believe in today’s nfl AND the adding another game WE NEED 3 DECENT BACKS.
Unfortunately we have no idea what we have in Benjamin and Ward but I don’t think we can count on either one being more than our 4 th back who will HAVE to be a good ST guy.
So we have Edmonds. We need a Thumper. I wouldn’t mind a guy like Duke Johnson but then you’d have to draft a thumper because I think he’s more like Edmonds. James Connor I see more as a thumper then we would need to draft another Edmonds type RB.
Not suggesting we sign Connors or Johnson . I’m just using those guys as examples of how I’d like to put together a rb Corp.
I don't necessarily buy into the "need a thumper" mentality, since I'd rather have an all-around back, but it makes enough sense.

The backs on the market right now are all some variety of cooked or never good in the first place. You're right, James Connor is probably the best potential option, but I don't find anything inspiring about that.

Hopefully we get lucky or proactive.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily buy into the "need a thumper" mentality, since I'd rather have an all-around back, but it makes enough sense.

The backs on the market right now are all some variety of cooked or never good in the first place. You're right, James Connor is probably the best potential option, but I don't find anything inspiring about that.

Hopefully we get lucky or proactive.
Four minutes left in the game, with an improved offensive line is a time where a team can use a thumper on a worn down defense and put the game away.
I agree we need two Edmond type backs in this offense but I want a guy that can get us a yard when you need 6 inches.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Four minutes left in the game, with an improved offensive line is a time where a team can use a thumper on a worn down defense and put the game away.
I agree we need two Edmond type backs in this offense but I want a guy that can get us a yard when you need 6 inches.
Just to clarify, I'm really just saying I want a guy who can do it all than I want someone who is obviously a short yardage back and obviously someone who is more of a receiving/shifty back. If you can't find that guy, yes, a short yardage back is important to have.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA