My Free Agency Take So Far

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I've been glued to my phone and this board for the past day and a half as I'm sure a lot of you have. There's a bit of a lull right now so I wanted to share my thoughts and highlight some guys I want to see us go after.

General Thoughts

Linsley -
this one really hurts as we were bidding with a few other teams and didn't end up getting there. The cost is steep for a Center but this move would have upgraded a huge weakness and given us long-term stability. He was my number one free agent and I can't help but be bitter.

WR Market - Marvin Jones just signed a 2 year/14.5 million deal and nearly all of the top WRs are still out there. This position is a huge weakness of ours and I wasn't eager to address it in FA but the value here may be hard to ignore.

Edge Market - always a valuable position we've seen some crazy money thrown around here - Floyd and Dupree being the two most overpriced in my opinion which leads me to...

Haason Reddick - the board seems solidly divided on his value but I'll give my take quickly. He is young, extremely talented, adds sorely needed speed to the front seven and is a great fit at SOLB in our scheme. I will be very disappointed if we let him go.

The biggest criticisms I've seen are that he got 5 sacks in one game and that this was his first season doing this. MOST OF THE ELITE PASS RUSHERS IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL HAVEN'T GOTTEN 5 SACKS IN A SINGLE GAME. Somehow people are seeing this as a detriment. All pass rushers play against bad tackles at some point in their seasons, I don't understand how Haason can be discounted for this and but his peers aren't. Yes, he was bad before this season but, as has been pointed out many times, he was finally put in his natural position and flourished.

His market is likely smaller due to his size and fit in the 3-4. That being said, I doubt we bring him back with the signing of Golden although one can dream of Chandler/Reddick/Golden as our rotation.

My Targets (Contract Guess)

Rodney Hudson (3/32) - guess what, Center is still a huge need. I'm quite surprised he was released and we should do everything in our power to lock him up. He's 31 but centers can play a long time. In my time watching them the Cardinals have never had an elite center so I feel it's possible we understate the impact it would have on Kyler and the offense as a whole. (Consolation Prize - David Andrews)

William Jackson (3/36)
- he is and was the best corner on the market in my opinion. He's been a strong player since he entered the league and played on some really bad defenses in Cincy. Not a huge playmaker but sticky in coverage and still pretty young. (Consolation Prize - Troy Hill)

Will Fuller (4/36) -
Fuller has had a ton of issues between injuries and a suspension but he is the type of threat the Cardinals need. Hop overshadowed him a bit in Houston but I feel he really improved as a player last year and showed defenses need to respect him. Hop and Fuller obviously have a ton of familiarity and we are severely underutilizing Kyler's deepball with our current personnel. I have him neck and neck with Samuel and feel Golladay may be too cost prohibitive. (Consolation Prize - Curtis Samuel)

Others
Ahkello Witherspoon
Isaiah McKenzie
Chris Carson
Riley Reiff
Anthony Walker
Quinton Dunbar
Mike Davis
John Brown
Trai Turner
Cory Peters

Who do you guys want to see us sign?

Last edited:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So my hope is that we sign the following, and I think its realistic:

1. Rodney Hudson. Get it done, no questions ask. He makes our line WAY better, and it might be the single biggest "Kyler improving" move we can make. Hudson doesn't allow pressure up the middle....SOOOOO valuable for a QB.

2. Jackson would be fine. We have to get a CB somewhere....so Jackson or PP21 on a reduced salary would be my targets.

3. I dont like Fuller. I do like Galloway. You cannot teach size, strength, and hands. He becomes a 1A type weapon, and can be signed to a deal that is cap friendly this year with a big increase as others on the team fall off. It's doable.

3A. In the draft I'm looking for the slot/speed guy that we thought we had with Andy. We still have Kirk for now so Hop, Galloday, Kirk is pretty darn good....but I want this kid in round 3.

Tylan Wallace:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

4. We have to answer RG and RT. Is it players on the team or not? If the coaches think no...then I think this becomes the next priority. Beachum was ok, and there are some decent options for RGs and RT in rounds 2-5 that could probably start for us.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s reported Hudson to be released. I’m praying that’s why we haven’t signed him yet.

I just don’t see us spending 15 m on a cb and I now believe PP 21 will return at a hometown discount. I think we draft a cb in the first round.

I believe we will get Breshad Perriman as a #2 Wr.

Still need to ad a running back. I won’t be upset if it’s Drake. Carson would be more of a bruiser. I don’t know why but James Connor is name to watch.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s reported Hudson to be released. I’m praying that’s why we haven’t signed him yet.

I just don’t see us spending 15 m on a cb and I now believe PP 21 will return at a hometown discount. I think we draft a cb in the first round.

Still need to ad a running back. I won’t be upset if it’s Drake. Carson would be more of a bruiser. I don’t know why but James Connor is name to watch.

Im starting to come around on this idea as the best option for both parties. PP21 now sees AZ as a hot place to be with Watt and hopefully other solid vets choosing to come here. He can claim hes part of the process and appeal, and take the hometown discount because its "team friendly" and he wants to win. He gets to save face in a way, and we get PP21 back on say a 3 year/35 million dollar deal.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Im starting to come around on this idea as the best option for both parties. PP21 now sees AZ as a hot place to be with Watt and hopefully other solid vets choosing to come here. He can claim hes part of the process and appeal, and take the hometown discount because its "team friendly" and he wants to win. He gets to save face in a way, and we get PP21 back on say a 3 year/35 million dollar deal.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Regarding PP21, he has a strong ego, so staying and retiring as a Cardinal has a lot of value relative to the risk of playing for another team and potentially getting a bad name for his play at this stage of his career.

I hope to have him back at a reasonable price, which is probably still more than a lot of people on this board would pay for him :)

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That’s a great list. I wouldn’t mind WR Perriman on a small deal. We need a vertical threat on the outside to open things up. Fuller/Golladay likely too expensive, but they would be awesome

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
That’s a great list. I wouldn’t mind WR Perriman on a small deal. We need a vertical threat on the outside to open things up. Fuller/Golladay likely too expensive, but they would be awesome
I really think we could get John Brown for not much money and he’s still got blazing speed and can actually catch the ball unlike Andy Misstheballa

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really think we could get John Brown for not much money and he’s still got blazing speed and can actually catch the ball unlike Andy Misstheballa

He would be a perfect fit, but didn’t seem to leave on good terms. Maybe he is past that though

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
macro:

Keim isnt GM-ing like a guy who has to put together a playoff roster to save his job

Mike B talked about a "seismic" shift in talent in FA -- but nary a tremor here in the AZ

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I am really beginning to wonder if they even sign a FA offensive lineman.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
macro:

Keim isnt GM-ing like a guy who has to put together a playoff roster to save his job

Mike B talked about a "seismic" shift in talent in FA -- but nary a tremor here in the AZ

Maybe Mike B. had gas that day. That could feel like a seismic shift.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
macro:

I think they were expecting a lot more quality players being released to free up cap space and didn’t realize that teams CAN actually find ways to move money around to retain their key free agents. Keim plays checkers while others play chess.

Reactions: PJ1

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they were expecting a lot more quality players being released to free up cap space and didn’t realize that teams CAN actually find ways to move money around to retain their key free agents. Keim plays checkers while others play chess.

I really hope this isn't the case, because then it just wreaks even more of the "belly of the beast" disastrous 2003 FA when everyone kept saying ROD GRAVES HAS A PLAN! JUNE 1ST CUTS BABY!

And then pretty much none of them happened.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Step 1: Internal - FA’s signed:

Alford, Golden, Beachum, Gardeck, Vallejo, Turner, lee

(?) PP21 - Fitz

Step 2: External -FA signed: JJ Watt

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members