My first NFL game!

DakotaCardsFan

Making time travel possible
Reaction score
I attended my first NFL game last weekend when my wife and I flew to Dallas for the Cards@Dallas game. I’ve had the Sunday Ticket for several years, but never made the trip to see the Cardinals live.

My wife and I were in full Cardinals gear and received the expected amount of heckling. We had agreed that we were there to watch the Cardinals play, not win. Still, it really sucked to see them get blown out like that. The one bright spot was watching Rackers. That guy continues to put on a clinic every Sunday. Every one of his warm-up kicks that I saw went through the uprights.

After the game, we tried to get down near the tunnel where the team was exiting, but were too late. On the way out, we stopped and talked to a nice couple from Oklahoma that had come to watch the Cards. They told us you can sometimes get autographs if you stand outside of the barricade where the players meet with their families after the game. We walked over with them and had the time of our lives!

We met several players and got autographs from Macklin, Berry, Shipp, Fitz, Swinton, L. Davis and Rackers. I was holding the camera, so we have pictures of my wife with several of the above players, but none of me with any of them. :(

Neil Rackers stood and talked with us for several minutes. The first thing out of his mouth was, “Thanks for coming to the game. I’m sorry we couldn’t get a win for you.” How cool is that?! We were talking about the Mexico City game and he said that near the end of the first half the Cards were 3rd and 2 on their own 48 yd line and Denny told them that if they didn’t make the first, he was going to let him try and kick a field goal. Would that be like 70 yds? Neil said he was ready, but the Cards scored a touchdown on the next play.

We met David Macklin’s parents and they are two of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. Like all parents, they’re very proud of their son. Reggie Swinton’s father was also very nice.

So, not a bad outing for a first timer. My wife enjoyed it so that now she things we need to make the trip from SD and see at least one game a year. By the time we were on the plane home, she thought a trip to training camp might be fun too. Here’s hoping!

MikeOnTheMic

Veteran
Reaction score
DakotaCardsFan said:
I was holding the camera, so we have pictures of my wife with several of the above players, but none of me with any of them. :(

Post your pictues of the players!!

and your wife

ranch

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
DakotaCardsFan said:
The first thing out of his mouth was, “Thanks for coming to the game. I’m sorry we couldn’t get a win for you.”

They have a cue card given to them when they 1st sign with the team and are told "Just read this to the fans after each game"....:D

OP
OP
DakotaCardsFan

DakotaCardsFan

Reaction score
blindseyed said:
They have a cue card given to them when they 1st sign with the team and are told "Just read this to the fans after each game"....:D

From what I saw written in another thread, I don't think Dockett got the memo...:)

OP
OP
DakotaCardsFan

DakotaCardsFan

Reaction score
MikeOnTheMic said:
Post your pictues of the players!!

and your wife

Easy big fella!:D

I'll try and attach a few....

Attachments

• berry.JPG
    berry.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 85
  • rackers.JPG
    rackers.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 87
  • shipp.JPG
    shipp.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 80
  • swinton.JPG
    swinton.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
DakotaCardsFan

DakotaCardsFan

Reaction score
I'm this close to officially announcing my man-crush on Rackers. Hell, I might even go Tango on him if he goes 30 for 30! :D

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DakotaCardsFan said:
I'm this close to officially announcing my man-crush on Rackers. Hell, I might even go Tango on him if he goes 30 for 30! :D

:biglaugh:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dakota, I found that the boys fans were way too nice. I was expecting a little Philly style treatment of a beverage being hurled my way, but I still had a great time except for the game! :mad:

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
DakotaCardsFan said:

Dude... I got your back... hmm... bad choice of words when talking "man-love."
At any rate Rackers is this season's MVP. Cards better bleepin extend his contract. If there is one thing that needs to be done with this team its keeping the things that work when nothing else sems to. Woulda loved to see him kick a huge field goal. I love his confidence and hope someday Denny gives him a chance to rival the NFL distance record. Gratz on your first game!

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
DakotaCardsFan said:
We were talking about the Mexico City game and he said that near the end of the first half the Cards were 3rd and 2 on their own 48 yd line and Denny told them that if they didn’t make the first, he was going to let him try and kick a field goal. Would that be like 70 yds? Neil said he was ready, but the Cards scored a touchdown on the next play.[/size][/font]

Dang. I wanted to see him make the long range FG.

okcardzona

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Dakotacardsfan, My wife and I really enjoyed meeting you and your wife in Dallas. What a great state South Dakota must be. I wished the Cards would have gave us a win, since it was your first game. I don't think one game a year will satisfy your wife, Her love for the Cardinals really showed thru. Take her to a home game. Maybe next year You can bring your son Jacob to a game. You have got to get them hooked early in life. My wife said you and your wife reminded her of us when we first started to go to road games.

Larry Centers Dad was the first one to take us down to The Cardinals buses, to meet some of the players. I have been going to Dallas for the last 16 Cards games there. Going to the buses always make me feel a little bit better after a loss
Neil Rackers is great. A lot of fun to talk to. How great was Macklin's family taking us into the fenced area . You could tell Berry was pissed about losing the game. I wish Josh would have had a better game ,Since he had so many family members there.

We will be going to the St Louis game in a couple of weeks. Hop on that plane and meet us there. If not then start making plans for Going to Arizona for a game at the new stadium.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
DakotaCardsFan said:

Are you good at poems? :cool:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
phillycard said:
Dakota, I found that the boys fans were way too nice. I was expecting a little Philly style treatment of a beverage being hurled my way, but I still had a great time except for the game! :mad:

I went to the 98 playoff game and nearly got killed. It was definitely a Philly type atmosphere.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
I went to the 98 playoff game and nearly got killed. It was definitely a Philly type atmosphere.

Now the playoffs. That might be a lil different! Would have been nice to find out this year TCF! :mad:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
(sound of coughing up phlegm and the fossilized shaking off of cobwebs):

The first NFL game I ever saw was at the Polo Grounds in NYC featuring the New York Yankees (yes, there was a pro FB team called the Yankees) vs. the Cleveland Browns.

The Yankees featured such players as Buddy Young, Spec Sanders, George Taliaferro and Arnie Weinmeister. The Browns were QB'd by Otto Graham (throwing to Dante Lavelli and Mac Speedie). I think Lou (the Toe) Groza was there by that time. Also Marion Motley. (Jim Brown had not arrived on the scene yet).

I (literally) ran into Buddy Young 20-30 years ago. He had been a 5-7 scatback and, by then, was working for Pete Rozelle in the League Office. I was jogging on the walkway along side the FDR drive when I saw this familiar little dude walking along puffing smoke from his cigar like a steam locomotive puffs steam. I saw that it was Buddy. As I went by, I asked: "When are you going to put the Cardinals on national TV?" As expected, his reply was: "When they start winning." (Some things never change).

OP
OP
DakotaCardsFan

DakotaCardsFan

Reaction score
okcardzona said:
We will be going to the St Louis game in a couple of weeks. Hop on that plane and meet us there. If not then start making plans for Going to Arizona for a game at the new stadium.

OKCARDZONA - We really enjoyed meeting the two of you as well. Finally getting to go to a game was great, but meeting with the two of you and the Macklins made for an unforgettable experience.

I don't think we'll be able to swing the next St. Louis game, but we'll defenitely be looking at making the pilgrimage to Glendale next season. I'm hoping for a training camp visit too.

Thanks again!

Next time we'll try and remember to bring our own Sharpie!

OP
OP
DakotaCardsFan

DakotaCardsFan

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
(sound of coughing up phlegm and the fossilized shaking off of cobwebs):

The first NFL game I ever saw was at the Polo Grounds in NYC featuring the New York Yankees (yes, there was a pro FB team called the Yankees) vs. the Cleveland Browns.

Jeff,
Thanks for meaking feel a bit younger!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose