My draft day mock draft

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Here is my go at creating a mock; I used Fanspeak with the Fanspeak Big board.

My top needs heading into the draft:
1. OC
2. DE
3. CB/S
4. QBOF
5. OL Depth
6. OLB
7. ILB

1. When it was my turn to select for the Cardinals, there was a conundrum: my top prospect for the Cardinals needs (Best player available at a position of need) was gone. Center Ryan Kelly was scooped up by the Texans at #22. Jarran Reed is available, but he is more of a supreme run stuffer. Leonard Floyd is available, but I think his lack of play strength isn't ideally suited to what the Cardinals want to do. William Jackson is available, but I think he is a bit too stiff.

So I went a different direction and one many on this board will think is crazy:

R1P29
QB CONNOR COOK
ARIZONA CARDINALS

Why did I pick Cook? Because he has a very good deep ball, and he played in a pro style offense. He has size, pocket presence and won a lot of games at Michigan State. He has a few mechanical flaws, but the idea is that Cook will sit for two seasons while Palmer plays out the end of his career, but he also isn't forced to play right away. QB is so important that I think the trend might be swinging to teams trying to have three legitimate QBs on their roster.

Look at what the Eagles are doing with Bradford, Daniels, and presumeably Carson Wentz. Arians offense is a very demanding offense on a QB and from what we've witnessed, it's unlikely a year one QB will be any good.

Cook will still have three years on his contract once he becomes the starter, so the team will have a good idea whether they want to pay him once he takes the reigns.

Is Cook a reach? I don't know, I don't care. If you want Cook, you have to take him here. Trading back isn't much of an option because he won't be available too much later.

2. When I finally got to select again, the following prospects were on the board with my comments:

1. Adolphus Washington (A bit smaller than what the ideal for the Cardinals like out of a DL).
2. Matt Tuerk (Had a down senior season; other center prospects that are nearly even could be had later).
3. Yannick Ngakoue (Quick twitch athlete, but didn't win many one-on-one battles)
4. Kamalei Correa (Explosive, violent OLB, who had a down junior year)

There were others, but based on the needs I went with:

R3P29
OLB KAMALEI CORREA
ARIZONA CARDINALS

As many on this board have stated, the Cardinals need to make moves to win now. While taking Cook in round one does not meet that objective, adding Correa gives the team a speed rusher that doesn't have to be "the guy" right away. Playing with Campbell, Jones, Golden, and Gunter, Correa gives the Cardinals a situational pass rusher that could put the defense over the top in the short run, and gives the team insurance if Jones walks in the long run.

3. Once you move into rounds 4-7, teams start to take a bit of a more needs based approach. With that in mind, I still haven't gotten that center that I wanted, nor have I addressed DE.

128: R4P30
C EVAN BOEHM
ARIZONA CARDINALS

I really like the film I've seen from Boehm and I think he can start very early in his career. I think his downside is being a heady starter. I think Boehm will stick in the NFL, but I don't see him being a Pro Bowler. He is limited by short arms, but you can tell he is a tough and smart player. He was a 52 game starter, which is extremely rare for an offensive lineman.

4: R5P28
S JUSTIN SIMMONS
BOSTON COLLEGE

5: R5P31
CB JAMES BRADBERRY
SAMFORD

The Cardinals add two CB/S tweeners with size and speed. As Mitch has pointed out, Justin Simmons has about the most impressive tape for any Safety prospect in this draft and he is versatile. I wanted a DL prospect with one of these picks, but the best available was DJ Reader and he is more a NG prospect and not the DE/DT prospect I'm looking for.

6: R6P30
G JOE THUNEY
NC STATE

With the final pick, I went with a versatile OL prospect to fill the G/T backup position. Thuney does have starting capability and is highway robbery this deep in the draft.

Conclusion? The CB and DL pool dried up real quick and the Cardinals will need to draft one early if they want one. I like the draft I walked away with:

1. Legitimate QBoF.
2. Another edge rusher to complement the addition of Chandler Jones.
3. OL depth
4. DB depth.

What didn't I get that I wanted? A future replacement for Calais Campbell and Floyd/Fitzgerald.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Correa and Simmons could be wishful thinking where they went. But good draft.

Don't think they will draft a QB #1, but it wouldn't shock me if they did. Mtl, they go with one of their QB invitee's a bit later on in the draft. Or trade down and hedge their bets.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Remember, this is from the guy who said that Johnny Football was going to rock the NFL. :mulli:

Connor Cook wasn't even named the captain of Michigan State. People aren't willing to say why, but no one thinks his character is positive. Regardless of his physical tools, I don't see the Cards taking him or Hackenberg (for the same reasons).

I also think that as you move down the draft, talent becomes more important than positional need, not less. That's why I think we haven't drafted developmental linemen much since Keim took over—today's linemen have a hard time showing talent when their schemes don't ask 'em to do much. On the other hand, when these guys are ready to contribute and play a bigger role, it'll be two or three years down the road, and there's no predicting what your needs are going to be.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Remember, this is from the guy who said that Johnny Football was going to rock the NFL. :mulli:

I'm a risk taker. :)

Connor Cook wasn't even named the captain of Michigan State.

Neither was Jack Conklin, fiery Sr. left tackle. I think this comment is overplayed.

People aren't willing to say why, but no one thinks his character is positive.

His character isn't so bad that he wasn't on the Michigan State leadership council.

Regardless of his physical tools, I don't see the Cards taking him or Hackenberg (for the same reasons).

The Cardinals likely won't; and it's likely going to lead this team into the toilet in 2 years. This is what I would do if I were in charge. I like Cook's record as a starter, his size, and his ability to complete the deep ball. His character is a minor concern.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I like Cook's record as a starter, his size, and his ability to complete the deep ball. His character is a minor concern.

If BASK selects Cook, I would be extremely happy (knowing they see him as the QBOF).

Carson Palmer has always had a bit of an attitude..I think Conner would learn a lot from a seasoned Carson. I am not saying he will have the same success as Carson but I think he could be a quality NFL starter.

http://my.xfinity.com/slideshow/sports-mostdislikednflplayers/4/

http://www.eaglesfootball.com/alumni/palmer/draft_prospectfile.phphttp://www.eaglesfootball.com/alumni/palmer/draft_prospectfile.php

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If SK passes on Leonard Floyd I will fly to AZ and slap him until he cries. If BASK take Cook I will be so bummed out.

80% of the Cards picks under BASK have been team captains and you think they will pick a QB of all positions that wasn't voted captain. Really don't see it at all.

I do like several of your other picks but no DT in a DT rich draft? I have played the draft game several times and it is easy for the draft to take you in a direction you didn't think you would go as in not getting a DT so I get it happens.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If SK passes on Leonard Floyd I will fly to AZ and slap him until he cries. If BASK take Cook I will be so bummed out.

80% of the Cards picks under BASK have been team captains and you think they will pick a QB of all positions that wasn't voted captain. Really don't see it at all.

I do like several of your other picks but no DT in a DT rich draft? I have played the draft game several times and it is easy for the draft to take you in a direction you didn't think you would go as in not getting a DT so I get it happens.

I wanted a DL, but my top targets were gone.

I'm sketchy on take Nkemdiche, and he was probably the best available DL.

I find it funny that some wouldn't take Cook but laud the trade the Rams and Eagles made to move up. I think giving up that much draft capital is insane and the difference between Goff/Wentz and Cook isn't too great.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Floyd scares me. Too much of a projection. He is a one trick pony as far as rushing the passer. He's a speed rusher without many moves and is weak. Guys like that flounder in the NFL.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Guy like that win super bowl mvp!

Von Miller wasn't weak and was a pass rushing extraordinaire in college. Floyd is more akin to Dion Jordan than Von Miller, profile wise.

Floyd had 4.5 sacks last year and never had more than 6.5 in a season.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Von Miller wasn't weak and was a pass rushing extraordinaire in college. Floyd is more akin to Dion Jordan than Von Miller, profile wise.

Floyd had 4.5 sacks last year and never had more than 6.5 in a season.

IIRC they played him all over the place because he is so versatile and so he didn't rush the passer as much. Can't teach speed and he has the quicks and speed to be a great pass rusher. Initially he goes in on sub packages to rush the passer and of course the coaches teach him pass rush moves.

He will get drafted before our pick so it's a moot point.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Floyd scares me. Too much of a projection. He is a one trick pony as far as rushing the passer. He's a speed rusher without many moves and is weak. Guys like that flounder in the NFL.

Guys like Jason Pierre-Paul and Dwight Freeney?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Holy crap. Cook is a career 57.9% passer in the Big 10? Hot garbage. Drew Stanton thinks Cook sucks.