My Defensive Dream Scheme

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I imagine Breeland is going to see action this week and no reason he shouldn’t. Here is my dream scheme. Breeland man up their 2nd best WR. Doesn’t have to learn Vance’s PHD defense, just shut down their 2nd best WR.

Then play zone with CB’s so they don’t get burned deep. JT helps shadow the #1 WR (what Bill B does).

Get Budda up on the line. He destroyed Dallas’s game plan. Have him drop in coverage 50% and blitz the run/pass the other 50%. Have him and Simmons trade off doing this so the QB has no clue who’s coming or going.

Run some stunts with the DL and OLB. If I see Golden speed rush past the QB one more time I’m going to lose it. The opponents OL has no fear because our rush is so predictable.

JT covers the back end to help out on pass and run support.

Have Simmons or Collins blitz the A gap. Honestly, Zaven looks scary out there with how big he is. If a QB sees him rushing the A gap in his face, even if he doesn’t get there it will affect the QB’s decision making.

That should do it. Just my 1 & 1/2 cents.

Boom.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I imagine Breeland is going to see action this week and no reason he shouldn’t. Here is my dream scheme. Breeland man up their 2nd best WR. Doesn’t have to learn Vance’s PHD defense, just shut down their 2nd best WR.

Then play zone with CB’s so they don’t get burned deep. JT helps shadow the #1 WR (what Bill B does).

Get Budda up on the line. He destroyed Dallas’s game plan. Have him drop in coverage 50% and blitz the run/pass the other 50%. Have him and Simmons trade off doing this so the QB has no clue who’s coming or going.

Run some stunts with the DL and OLB. If I see Golden speed rush past the QB one more time I’m going to lose it. The opponents OL has no fear because our rush is so predictable.

Have Simmons or Collins blitz the A gap. Honestly, Zaven looks scary out there with how big he is. If a QB sees him rushing the A gap in his face, even if he doesn’t get there it will affect the QB’s decision making.

Boom.
I like your scheme overall. Just not sure if Breeland is able to shut down OBJ who is Rmas' #2 WR by himself. I specifically agree with your statement that our rush is so predictable. Not completely sure the reasons behind Golden passing the opponent's QB on a regular basis. Was it because of Golden's inability to change directions or the Qb's shifting play inside the pocket? I do think the Cards' pass rush is so predictable. However, with this scheme, McVay will for sure dial some deep bombs to OBJ when he sees Breeland on an island.

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I like your scheme overall. Just not sure if Breeland is able to shut down OBJ who is Rmas' #2 WR by himself. I specifically agree with your statement that our rush is so predictable. Not completely sure the reasons behind Golden passing the opponent's QB on a regular basis. Was it because of Golden's inability to change directions or the Qb's shifting play inside the pocket? I do think the Cards' pass rush is so predictable. However, with this scheme, McVay will for sure dial some deep bombs to OBJ when he sees Breeland on an island.
I guess I’m hoping/expecting that Breshaud Breeland is THAT good. We really don’t have much of a choice if Marco, Alford, and Peterson can’t play. And if we can get pressure, it shouldn’t matter.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Boom.
Occasionally blitz someone off the edge when Stafford is under center cause you know a rollout is coming. Blow the whole play up. The VJ defense can never figure out how to shut that play down, it's frustrating watching them run it successfully over & over.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Boom.
Not a bad idea overall, but...you know VJ won't do it.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Many asking for Flores over VJ, how about seeing what we do in the playoffs? better yet see has interest in VJ? Grass ain’t always greener,, many are turning into there parents, want to plan to leave early, before they enter the stadium.

I don’t know, never been a fan of bend don’t break defense, but it works and we have deployed it for many years, Wilkes tried to change it up and basically destroyed our roster with huge turnover of players to change our scheme. VJ inherited a mess and so did KK, I mean I never seen such devastation of a roster in one year. Just reminding folks.

VJ scheme is to not give up the big play, didn’t work against the hawks, bunches over 20, and Penny ran through us like our dam broke. But stopped zeke cold week before. Kind of like a box of chocolates- never know what you gonna get.

cards invested in 1st round middle lbs last 2 years, specifically for VJ to develop, building middle out, long term. Keep opening the oven before it has time to bake and your cake may collapse. Like Wilkes

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Breeland, at this point in his career, is nothing more than a zone coverage corner. He cannot matchup man to man vs OBJ or Jefferson athletically.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Boom.
I’ll bup most any scheme that blitzes more often. I agree with the idea, especially in Simmons case, of using the young LBs. Simmons has had a problem of wrapping up once he gets there while avoiding penalties. He needs coaching. Collins could certainly play a role but if you can only use him to blitz you expose your strategy when he plays. The Cards lead the league in Roughing the Passer penalties. Sometimes delivering a late hit can send a message but not when it extends a drive of happens passed the 40.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would love to see Collins on the EDGE in pass rush situations along with Golden and Jones. Lots of options in terms of stunts with those athletes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Many asking for Flores over VJ, how about seeing what we do in the playoffs? better yet see has interest in VJ? Grass ain’t always greener,, many are turning into there parents, want to plan to leave early, before they enter the stadium.

I don’t know, never been a fan of bend don’t break defense, but it works and we have deployed it for many years, Wilkes tried to change it up and basically destroyed our roster with huge turnover of players to change our scheme. VJ inherited a mess and so did KK, I mean I never seen such devastation of a roster in one year. Just reminding folks.

VJ scheme is to not give up the big play, didn’t work against the hawks, bunches over 20, and Penny ran through us like our dam broke. But stopped zeke cold week before. Kind of like a box of chocolates- never know what you gonna get.

cards invested in 1st round middle lbs last 2 years, specifically for VJ to develop, building middle out, long term. Keep opening the oven before it has time to bake and your cake may collapse. Like Wilkes
Just an aside but people should stop using zeke as any kind of benchmark. Second half of this season he was terrible. He barely eclipsed 1,000 yards in a 17 game season. He’s more name than game at this point.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an aside but people should stop using zeke as any kind of benchmark. Second half of this season he was terrible. He barely eclipsed 1,000 yards in a 17 game season. He’s more name than game at this point.
BRO

:stick:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Zeke is going to go off on us for like 20 carries 175 yards now.
We are playing the Rams. If we win that we are likely playing the bucs or packers. And unlike the original poster who said we shut him down (maybe the post you SHOULD HAVE used the stick figure on) I commented on his season overall.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are playing the Rams. If we win that we are likely playing the bucs or packers. And unlike the original poster who said we shut him down (maybe the post you SHOULD HAVE used the stick figure on) I commented on his season overall.
You are right. I see why my post was so confusing and irrelevant. My mind was focused on Dallas for some reason.

My apologies.